Chit Chat and All That...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jcb, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      When I had around 20 lovely ladies they were my drama. I felt bad for the people around me, though some liked to know who the top hen was. Stroke updates on my old girl Flash and how the girls would cry for me to perform "CPR". Or my special needs Wild who despite everything ended up being 16. Plus, I think people like to know how smart chickens really are. Not to mention the year of lice. *shivers* I hate lice. Never dealt with it until my chickens. I didn't realize other people don't care for their chickens properly.

He-he. From the looks of things I don't think he's gotten frisky with a single girl. Unless he's just that gentle. Which is a miracle. He is courting my youngest hen. I can't believe everyone is about 7 and she's only 3! I let my age gap get too big.

2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      The Mrs. is doing well, a slow recovery with a stent in the heart main artery. So depression gets in and days are hard to get through. I went through the same thing. So now we are known as the STENT twins.

Support is the best medicine.

Thanks @Jcb.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    3. Elmer B Fuddled

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With 2 roosters you're gonna have trouble. I shall explain in a humourous way. If you were single and had a boyfriend whom you enjoyed, then all of a sudden a young one steps into play. The boyfriend is going to defend his territory, the young handsome one becomes jealous, and like all men there's surely gonna be trouble. The boyfriend is standing his ground, "she's mine, don't try to get in."

The young one thinks hes the "cock of the walk," and steps in swinging.

Unbeknownst to him the boyfriend obliges the fight and puts the young one in his place, second.

Now the only way to stop what is going on with roosters fighting, and sadly I must say is in any chicken coop with 2 roosters, one has to go, and that's the second place rooster, because, if you were to rid of the boyfriend the second one becomes aggressively dominate, usually attacking you and children.

Explaining this for you from, a chicken farmer.
      Elmer

• Like Like x 2
    4. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See I don't keep roosters. I've tried and I've turned out some amazing roosters. But once they get with the girls they don't let me call my ladies over and I get tired of them being jerks. Because the roosters are sweet with me until they decide I'm a rooster when I try to merge them. Which breaks my heart.

See I tried to merge the silkie rooster while the smooth-silkie was out of sight in his run still. But the silkie rooster tried to beat the shit of my ladies. I just couldn't stand it. So I stuffed him back in with the other rooster. They were fine.

I had to move them in to the cage so they see the ladies. Mountain lions come down in the cold weather more. The smooth-silkie got out by accident. But he was a total gentleman, but I couldn't leave him with the girls long. So I stuffed him back in with his rooster pal. And while I was away the silkie brutalized him!

So I separated them and the smooth-silkie is still a perfect gentleman. He has to be sexing my hens up, but I can't even tell that he's doing it!

The smooth-silkie rooster and my silkie hens may not give me enough true silkies, so I want to breed the silkie rooster with my girls at some point. (Though the silkie rooster is clearly bigger than the other rooster and my ladies so I wonder what the lady may have bread him with...) Any advice? Do I have to totally get rid of my smooth-silkie to calm down the other rooster? If I like the babies from smooth-silkie rooster I might breed him again. Because I know the likeliness of ending up with mostly roosters and very few hens. Since you're used to the dynamics I need advice. The only time I kept roosters for a long time they were separated from the hens. Every time I finally went to breed them I couldn't stand how brutal they get with my ladies. Especially my weaker hens. (At least this time I don't have my teenage chickens to worry about.)

• Like Like x 2
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cat faces on other animals.

636DBF30-45F4-4F13-8D22-6910E20816C3.jpeg E0BBF503-581E-4791-9B50-B7F651F37A1F.jpeg E804240A-8330-4E8A-8470-86DB616F5495.jpeg 88487C31-DFBC-4F7E-802D-D5778A375456.jpeg 77B057E8-6C24-45B7-8268-DBA07669C6D3.jpeg 7899271B-C3A0-4D4E-87BC-09DD484EECBB.jpeg 9D1DB58D-4924-4992-A562-9701D9A936B4.jpeg B6F0A697-2C49-4D69-AC6C-DF0D785D79A5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Elmer B Fuddled

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Roosters get very aggressive with hens, for the reason they are wanting to sow the seed. You are the dominant person because you feed and care, the rooster sees you as a threat, so he's going to protect his harem, and you are going to be the one who gets attacked.

I've had them jump high enough to take an eye out, with their feet ready to do damage.

The roosters, they ride the hens hard tearing feathers from the back of the head or tearing feather out on lower back. You can trim that talon back which stops the tearing of feathers a hacksaw works, if cut back and they bleed pack brown sugar on it.

Or let the rooster do his thing and when he's finished or you can't take anymore abuse, rid of him, you don't need abused hens.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for all the info. Everyone always tells me how I need a rooster and should keep one for my ladies. But it just sounds like they are useless jerks. Besides fertilizing the eggs.

The brown sugar is a nice trick. Looks like I'll be trimming some nails. I got a special nail trimmer so it should go okay. Once my old girls hit their teens I use to have to trim their nails frequently. Don't scratch so much as they get older.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Elmer B Fuddled

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You only need a rooster if you are breeding the hens. That white in the egg after the rooster has had his fun is his sperm, which starts the egg to grow to chick. The hen lays egg without a rooster.

Yes a good nail trimmer like for dogs will work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      @all to gain where are you at buddy... say hello when you get a chance.

Everyone here is wishing you well.

Daniel

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      The last time he posted was mid October. I hope he’s alright and is just staying away from Tinnitus Talk.

• Agree Agree x 5
    13. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      • Agree Agree x 2
    14. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, that was my main fear.

16. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I worry that they will start to come out solely on streaming services and it will kill off cinema. Esp. since the pandemic.

I mean, I love watching stuff on Netflix etc, but I hate the idea that there will be no more 'big screen' viewings. It's a totally different experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
    17. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Yea I get what you mean but for us that suffer from tinnitus and hyperacusis it is impossible for us to go to cinemas as they turn up the volume real loud. I rather watch a movie at home than at the cinemas.

18. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Yes, we have to be more careful, for sure. I still go but I wear earplugs. Frankly they should just turn the volume down so we can all enjoy the experience! :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I do know that when it’s during the day they usually lower the volume cause more kids go to cinemas around that time so that would be the best time to go.

20. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes there's a lot of talk about that possiblity. Important to note the movies will also be in theatres at the same time, and will only be on HBOMax (which is so far only in the U.S) for a month.

21. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That’s true. I just wish cinemas could just lower the volume as they are way too loud. If no one is talking I think 70 dB-75 dB should be the max it should go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I used to go to smaller/art houses cinemas before tinnitus and hyperacusis and even prior to this setback (with earplugs) though and found the volume was a lot more tolerable than big movie theatres. After my first round of hyperacusis though, I found bigger theatres uncomfortably loud even with earplugs. The cinema is something I really miss to be honest.

At this point, I wouldn't risk going into any movie theatre, which makes me sad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Oh wow, I had the complete opposite experience. I found smaller cinemas louder than big cinemas.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The way things are going, it’s likely that this will be the case for everyone. That is, that cinemas probably aren’t going to be around for much longer anyway. COVID-19 has likely put the final nail in the coffin for that industry which I personally think is a shame. I’ve always been a huge movie buff.

• Like Like x 3
    25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Yea, volumes can vary. I think the most likely to be too loud are possibly the independent ones, regardless of size. Big chains like Cineworld, from my experience, always stick to the regulations. That’s just my experience, however.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Same with me. I found the bigger cinema chains keep the volume at a certain limit which doesn’t seem that loud with earplugs which I like.

27. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    29. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I normally go during the day for the cheap prices and less people. Usually I'm the only one in there and I just ask the person when I get my ticket to turn the volume down. They do.

But I am and never was a huge movie theater goer. Only for ones I really had to see on the big screen.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      We can do that??? Game changer :)

Will def try it if my local cinema ever opens up again.