Cilantro Extract

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by FGG, May 10, 2020.

1. PauloZ
      Alienated

PauloZ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015, got much worse in 09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, both times.
      Very interesting study indeed, great find. I think I am going to try it as well. Although at the end they give this summary:

"In summary, quercetin activates KCNQ channels by an atypical mechanism that may lead the way to a new chemical space for novel modes of pharmacological KCNQ activation. Its relatively low potency for KCNQ modulation may limit the therapeutic usefulness of quercetin, although higher doses could potentially be tolerated and it was recently concluded that addition of quercetin to food appears to be safe."

So if it does something it would be great. If it does nothing it doesn't mean a real drug would not work. It also seems safe to take a somewhat higher dose.

On the website I usually order supplements from they say it comes naturally in apples and red onions. But 1 apple only contains 13 mg. If you eat a normal diet you will probably consume 13-40 mg of it per day. Way too low to have any effect I guess.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey Pauloz,

Did you ever get around to trialling the quercetin/cilantro?

I tried 800mg quercetin (which was probably not high enough) for a short while, but didn't think it was doing anything so I discontinued it.

However, whilst I wait for the cilantro to arrive in the mail, I am thinking of simply eating large amounts of cilantro. I had emailed the researcher involved with the study, and he mentioned that his colleague (with epilepsy) feels his condition has improved with the consumption of 'several pounds' of cilantro.

Have no idea where to start here, so it will be a little experiment.

I'll post here if I notice any substantial improvement.

3. PauloZ
      Alienated

PauloZ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Deb,

I've been on it for 1-2 weeks now. I have not noticed a change yet. But I also think it might be that the recommended dosage is too low. Maybe it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier? I think I will need to find some more info on the matter.

The info on the cilantro extract says I should take 20 drops with cold liquid twice a day. But I have no idea how much cilantro that is compared to eating several pounds of it.

The dosage of quercetin I take is around 500mg - 900mg. Again, no idea if this is enough to force a change. But i don't know upping the dosage would be a really safe thing to do.
      According to this website (in Dutch, sorry): https://www.sohf.nl/nutrient/quercetine, it is known to be safe to take 500-1000 mg a day for 12 weeks. They warn that taking a really high dosage could be neurotoxic.

Maybe we should focus more on the cilantro instead of the quercetin and then specifically the working substance in it. According to the research that is E-2-dodecenal. According to this website: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/2-Dodecenal, it is also precedent in roasted peanuts for example. But I don't know how much there is it in roasted peanuts.

It is easier to buy/eat a lot of roasted peanuts then several pounds of cilantro each day :p. That is just an insane amount of cilantro. Or did he not consume that amount each day?

Anyway, I'm really fascinated by trying to activate these channels in a natural way. I don't think we can somehow regrow our hair cells ourselves. We might be able to stimulate nerve growth by increasing BDNF, maybe even by microdosing? But the effect would be really slow. I think activating these channels naturally should be possible somehow.

After @bmguitar shared the following link in the keto diet tread: https://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/early/2019/11/22/jpet.119.263350, I am thinking of trying the keto diet. They prescribe this diet to people with epilepsy who don't react to epilepsy drugs. Even in the research you linked they mention the ketone bodies:

"We previously found that GABA, the metabolite and ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), various plant compounds and synthetic glycine derivatives both possess the chemical property noted in retigabine and require the S5 Trp and/or an Arg at the foot of S4 (R242 in KCNQ3 and its equivalents) (Fig. 3d, e) to activate KCNQs".

One problem though: I am a carb lover :p:hungry::LOL:. When I showed the diet to my wife she became really happy, because it contains a lot of food she really likes :p. I already ordered a book to read more about it.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there,

The researcher involved with the study I posted has said that his colleague has been eating several pounds of cilantro a day, and has noted a significant improvement in his tinnitus.

Here is his response:

Hi Debra,

He has been consuming 0.8 to 1 lb per day, split into 4-5 meals of 0.2 lb cilantro each. He uses the leaves and stems, probably mostly consisting of leaves. His cilantro consumption has been associated with a statistically significant reduction in seizure-like activity, although obviously as this is not a controlled clinical trial we cannot say for sure that it is cause and effect - it could still be a coincidence. I am writing up a case study right now. He noticed an improvement within a few weeks.

Best,

Geof

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      That's a lot of cilantro. I'm struggling to include even 20g of cilantro into my meals everyday... 1/20 of what he is having!

6. PauloZ
      Alienated

PauloZ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah right?! Where do you even get so many cilantro plants/leaves? It is mostly used as a herb, so to add a little bit to a meal.

I think I have to start growing cilantro 'weed' style. LoL :p

7. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      By seizure like activity does he mean tinnitus? It sounds like something different.

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      So sorry. Typo there. Yes, he meant seizures.

9. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Tried this for two weeks morning and evening but no positive effect. It's quite expensive in the uk and a bottle lasts one week. Not sure I'll continue

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Just thought I would let you know that I tried a few days worth of fresh cilantro, and ended up with nausea for a week. I didn't notice any difference to my tinnitus, so I stopped it altogether. I did try quercetin also, but again, didn't make any difference :(

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @DebInAustralia -- Cilantro is well known for being able to mobilize heavy metals sequestered in the body. If a detoxification of these metals takes place to fast, it can easily cause the kind of nausea you experienced. One should always be super careful when doing anything that can mobilize heavy metals too quickly, as it can easily overwhelm the body's detoxification capabilities. Doing things like saunas, and taking supplements such as NAC can greatly assist detoxifying these metals.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To DebinAustralia:

I tried a Cilantro extract (which had an abominable taste), and I had the same reaction with no effect on my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'm going to retry Cilantro... but this time with a supplement rather than trying to ingest fresh herb.

14. bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      How about getting some dried cilantro/coriander? I'm sure supplement is just dried herb in powder form with some premium charge.

• Like Like x 1
    15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Apparently, Cilantro also has an antihistamine effect. I suspect (vaguely recall reading somewhere) that histamine inhibits KV ion channels. Still think this approach is worth consideration.

16. ma7555
      Doubtful

ma7555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion
      So nobody got any positive results from Cilantro extract?