Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by erik, May 29, 2012.

1. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Not always, if you have overwhelming anxiety on top of your tinnitus and you don't respond to antidepressants they can be very helpful even in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. RaZaH
      Dancing

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Possibly. In my opinion you will have to learn to deal with anxiety and not mask it with drugs.
      At some point you will have to stop and then what?

3. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      It can calm your nervous system until you can cope better with your tinnitus or your other problems and taper, or you keep taking them depending on your age, everyone has to decide for himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. RaZaH
      Dancing

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Sure, each to their own, not advisable in my opinion.

5. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      For me taking prednisolone was the worst decision after my initial onset , I couldn't walk for a week due to pain in my joints and slept maybe 1 hour a night.

The Xanax I tried in the beginning quieted my tinnitus to a 1/10 so I guess everyone is different.

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      Yeah, everyone might react a little different, even though we are all humans. I don't react well to AD's while some people tolerate them well. Some people are smokers and others find smoking offensive, especially the smell. So it's hard to judge another person's reactions compared to your own.

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      My noise went away one time for about 2 days after taking methylprednisolone. I have one refill left. I know it's hard on your adrenal glands.

methylprednisone.jpg

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with you in general but some people take benzos for decades and decades; I've known a few of them, and I may end up being one of them if Neuromod doesn't figure their shit out ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, benzo/mirtazapine withdrawal, or combo!
      Will it suppress tinnitus for decades and decades though?
      I seriously doubt it!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good question, I'll have to get back to you on that ;)

It worked fine for the 6 years I took it from ~1999-2005 without any loss of efficiency, and my reasons for stopping didn't have anything to do with it "not working" anymore. My sister has been on it for 15-20 years without having to increase her dose, so there's some genetic reasons to hope maybe I have decent genes for long term metabolism... but I won't know until I know, and yes that scares me.

It's nothing like a total cure. It seems to remove some of the physicality from my tinnitus, and also deals with some of my comorbid issues. I do not like being on it but am forced to admit that so far, after 6 months, inwardly and outwardly my life is a lot more focused and I am more able to fixate on my family and the things I enjoy. That was after ~3 years of PRN use where I mostly noticed that my "good, happy" days coincided almost exclusively with using a benzo -- that followed a 4 year period of total abstinence from benzos and psych drugs to see if my brain would recalibrate. It did, to some extent, but not enough...

I doubt if Klonopin would "work" for most people like it does for me; I have a long history with this drug and I think my brain warped around it. Best advice is don't start, but it seems to be a positive for me at the moment. If I have to get back off, well, I've done it twice so I know what that's like too (a crappy year and a half, more or less).

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I know at least 5 people who are or have been on the benzo route for different issues, one is on them for 20 years or more without problems. The others got off them with a steady taper.
      I don't think it has to do with genetics, most people do just fine on benzos, they are just not on here or anywhere else on a board because, well, because their med is working.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Emanuel Lourenco
      Depressed

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, repeatedly worsened by the great mystery T
      Since I've been struggling with tinnitus I've been to doctors a lot, this one finally prescribed me Clonazepam and I have to say it relieved my tinnitus quite a bit... It has been almost a year since I've taken it because I ran out and I cannot get it again, no doctors where I live now will prescribe it to me, but I think I was gaining up tolerance or my tinnitus just got so loud that it was barely having any effect anymore but still, if you are like I was, desperate, the relief of Clonazepam can be a Godsend.

I don't understand the people that try to scare others from trying Clonazepam.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Codaz

Codaz Member

That is because it is no candy. Quite addictive and tapering off seems to be hard. At least that is what I have heard. I have it at home but not tried it yet.

14. Emanuel Lourenco
      Depressed

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I understand that and I myself was reluctant to start it.

It was only after my family talked to me that I decided to, and I don't regret it...

I came off it quite easily... My tinnitus has been becoming worse but I can't say it was ever linked to the tapering off Clonazepam...

I didn't feel addicted. It felt great when I took it because I knew I'd get some tinnitus relief. When I decided not to take it, I didn't get tinnitus relief...

Some days I still wish I had access to it... maybe I wouldn't be down such a depressing path, most days I'm just lost not knowing what to do, this permanent torment is just awful... I do not wish tinnitus this loud to anyone, not even my enemies.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      • Like Like x 2
    16. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      @Emanuel Lourenco
      I'm with you. Tinnitus has become extremely intrusive and sound reactive. I have 4 different frequencies and two of them I can't mask them at all.

Yet, I'm pretty confident the upcoming years will bring us new forms of relief (Lenire, etc.)

Regarding Rivotril/Clonazepam, it definitely can bring relief to the loudest tinnitus. It DOES work.
      I don't even want to talk about how "hard" it may be to quit it on the long run, because when you're suffering so much that nothing can bring relief, you don't give a damn about how hard it may be to quit the only thing that help you survive.

I'm using Rivotril myself. I've been on 0.3 everyday for 2 years and now, it doesn't have much effect anymore because my tinnitus has become louder and my body is used to the molecule. So some days, I use 0.6 to 0.7 and I certainly can hear the difference. The relief may not last, but the 2 hours of calm in my head, I take them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I don't know where you live but why don't you go to a psychiatrist and explain your situation and let him prescribe you clonazepam to take as needed, or are benzos illegal in your country?

18. Emanuel Lourenco
      Depressed

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure, I have been to GPs multiple times begging for it because I am really struggling but they refuse to give it to me saying it's a "very dangerous" drug that doesn't even help with tinnitus, but the thing is I know it does because I have used it before...

19. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I think that's why you should ask a psychiatrist I think but I don't know the rules in your country. Over here it is the opposite, 1 in 5 is on benzos and after the age of 75 it's even 1 in 3 people.

20. Emanuel Lourenco
      Depressed

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alright I should try and find one, thank you for the advice.