Clonazepam Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Support' started by TracyJS, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'm doing a direct taper and this time one drug at a time.

I think the drugs I was (and in some instances still am) taking could be the cause of my H. Not too sure about my T. I was told they are not ototoxic, but the key word here is 'neurotoxic' and no one can 100% guarantee whether the combo of your medication is or isn't neurotoxic - especially, if there are psychiatric drugs in the coctail that affect your central and, in some instances, peripheral nervous system. We're all unique, hence why medical supervision is needed.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. If you are really that worried, or simply don't have confidence in your psychiatrist consult your medication with a Pharm.D. The choice is yours.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @TracyJS ,
      I have no support regarding your medication as don't know about it.As far as I can see you are doing a slower taper .
      You have done well coming down of it and it deserves a pat on the back and getting a friend or family member pop in or phone you through your last dose and eating and drinking and sleeping and a cozy blanket to snuggle up to might be nice if need one and a reward planned after as you will have deserved it.
      Good luck and have a check up with your own doctor to keep him in the loop if needed.
      Love glynis x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

TracyJS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I contacted my local hospital and they said without being a patient there or a recent patient they can’t meet with me or give me medical advice. They directed me back to the pharmacy that dispensed the medication.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @glynis
      Thank you, Glynis for your kind words. I actually had to pay for my psychiatrist out of pocket, so I am not able to
      continue to be his patient. He advised a much quicker taper.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Typical U.S.A. retarded healthcare system. Ok. Go back to your pharmacy that dispensed your meds and demand they'll help you out with this. There will be someone knowledgeable enough to provide you with info you now need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I was on ativan. Going cold turkey is horrible, I wish that your withdrawls become less and you make a recovery. My struggles with benzos, makes my intrusive tinnitus look like cake walk...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When one is in distress and in need of help. The last thing they should do is start throwing their weight around and demanding things. It is the quickest way to rub people up the wrong way. @TracyJS A softly softly approach is much better, then people will want to help you. Be polite with your request and I promise you, you'll get much better results. No-one likes a person that is demanding and arrogant.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    8. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Sorry, I will not be dragged into a heated exchange with you. You're twisting things around here a little. It is my impression that @TracyJS is a clever lady who understands very well that by me using the word "demand" I didn't mean her to actually go kick the door in and start shouting at people to start explaining to her "Now!" That's awful.

Of course, she can use "a softly, soflty approach" but if she then gets denied, she can also ask in a more authoritative way, because it is her right to have that piece of information. That is not arrogant. Btw, no one likes push-overs either.

With best regards,
      Jiri

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please be honest enough to say you were wrong. You have a bad attitude and have revealed your true colours and you won't get far in life, if you don't change your policy and your style.

Manners and respect makes a man and a woman and helps to carry us through life.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I did you nor anybody else on this site no wrong. Also, you know super little about me to be making such strong, aggressive statements. Stop attacking.

Bye

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect, your comments told me and everyone on this thread the type of person you are.
      I wish you well.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Ok, so by me trying to honestly help someone else in need (perhaps, because I was in her shoes so many times before) I revealed my true colours and bad attitude that won't get me far in life. Really?

One more time, you know very little about me so, please, stop jumping into conclusions.

Good night

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Thank you, I appreciate that.

Most therapists and MD's do not believe what many people go through with stopping benzos, they think it's all in our heads.

I've read accounts by people who were on this type of drug for 5, 10, even 20 or m0re years, and recovered, and the consensus from those who are knowledgeable, is that full recovery from this category of drugs is possible for virtually anybody, regardless of dosage, frequency of use, length of use, etc. It helps me greatly, to be aware of this, when coping with the remaining symptoms, which could very well last for some time to come.

14. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Agreed. Was just trying to be a good patient and listen to the advice of my doctor so yes, I did what I was told to do. All I wanted to know was if its ototoxic. "It's not" was the answer. Never took so many drugs before in my life. When I had those seizures from abrupt withdrawal my doc didn't really seem to care. You're on your own. Just like you said.

Wait, what? For 20 years?? 6 years w/d O_O Omg. Stay strong.

15. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You see, I never argue with a Dr and tell him/her that they are wrong. I simply show them(show them a site/posts of people on the med(s)) 10-100 people expressing the hell and misery they are in.

Show them proof, educate them. If they still say that it is invalid then find a new dr. I think a lot of Drs are not aware of what they give out to patients(not 100% anyways). They might think at the core that the med/drug heals/helps something, but they don't think about the horrible side effects and withdrawals that med/drug can bring on. You/Us as the patient(s) have every right to know what goes in our bodies and how we are going to feel once taking the drug/med.

I had a possible sinus infection and was given a certain antibiotic. With a few hours a new tone was starting out in my ears. I instantly stopped the med, called dr in morning and got on an antibiotic that was somewhat tinnitus friendly....We have a voice, you have a voice..voice your concerns to your Dr, always...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Jiri You explained your thoughts very wisely and you are correct. The demanding simply means standing up and protect yourself which was not meant to be anything else. Often people are treated without regard and if you are persistent and nice and strong it can make a big difference between running away in misery or making your life improve.

You need to seriously look in a mirror. Jiri"s explanation was done with respect. No man should ever speak to a woman or another person the way you do. You are the demanding person here.

And guess what? You cannot demand respect.

• Agree Agree x 4
    17. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      @Starthrower Thank you for standing up for me. I was genuinely trying to give my best advice, since a lot of Tracy's questions were directed to me. I'm not going to lie, I got upset later on that she has to pay out of her pocket to see a psychiatrist, and is presently on these type of drugs without med. supervision. Where I come from this is unthinkable.

I even apologized to Tracy after in a p.m., if my comments came across as rude to her. I meant well. On that note, it'd be kind of nice from Tracy to say simple "thanks" or smth here. I paid close attention to her w/d management. I cert. didn't expect Mr. Leigh 'to come at me' the way he did. I hope we can now draw a line under this and just move on.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am prepared to draw a line under it @Jiri and would like to say, you have redeemed yourself quite admirably. I know Tracy's situation quite well and correspond with her regularly. Regarding the person that stood up for you. Please believe me you don't need it. It is someone that has been on my ignore list for some time along with others.

I wish you well.
      Michael

19. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      No problem @Jiri. Your contributions and experience certainly help other people and I hope Tracy is doing okay. That is all that matters. It important to be able to stand up and not let people put you down especially when someone new is seeking help.

I have way too much dignity...oh never mind. Fuck off. You are an arrogant asshole.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Oh - come on Starthrower - don’t beat around the bush!
      Do say what is on your mind....please!”

• Like Like x 1
    21. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Dave you are very naughty!
      @Jazzer

22. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I know Nanny - that’s why people find me so irrisistable xx

• Funny Funny x 1
    23. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have been keeping a eye on this thread and hoping it would burn out by now.
      I am putting my foot down now and the thread is under moderation.
      Please respond to Tracy and no more personal remarks to eachother.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 2
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I just want to say that I appreciate everyone’s responses when offering help, guidance, or support.
      @Jiri -thank you for trying to answer my questions regarding the medication and offering suggestions such as contacting a clinical pharmacist. I appreciate it very much.

@Starthrower and @Michael Leigh —as always thank you so much for your kindness and support.

Tracy

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      I’m afraid Sylvie will have to put you on the naughty step! Lol x
      @Jazzer

• Funny Funny x 2
    26. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Nanny - she says she knows me better than I know myself!
      Now - that is proper scarey !!!

27. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I would just like to say that @Starthrower is on my list of top contributors.
      She has heart, intelligence and guts xxx

(....and throw in that she’s a woman.
      .....er.....I like women....xx)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    28. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Honestly if you are trying to get off certain medications I would not use a forum/internet for a plan. You will see generic plans.

My advice would be to seek a therapist or gp that will work with you and MONITOR you. It’s also critical that you have family or loved ones around you during this time to monitor you as sometimes a 3rd party can tell changes better than you can.

Just my 2 cents ... I hope it goes well for you!

29. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Michael Leigh ,you were out of line here im afraid to say and @Starthrower sticking up for the injured party.

@Michael Leigh you should not asume everyone else has seen the true colours as it's your view .
      @Starthrower ,no problem with you regarding this,just leave out the swearing.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @TracyJS

I didn't read the whole entire thread so some of these could have been addressed.

Benzo withdrawl is no joke. You definitely don't want to taper off too quickly as you might even get seizures if you aren't careful. One thing that you should expect is for the T to get worse, maybe even the H. The unfortunate side effect is that it will make things much worse until it gets better. The thing to pay attention to the most are the dark thoughts - if you feel like you are going to do something like harm yourself of others you definitely need to take a step back and get professional help.

Otherwise, you will be getting the trademark sweaty palms, nervousness and anxiety. Perhaps even panic attacks. These things are all normal so you might want to brush up on your meditation game or even some cognitive behavioral therapy to control some of those thoughts when they happen.

One thing that has been recommended to me was something called "Mindfulness", or being present in the moment and don't think too much about what is going on inside. Think about what you hear next to you, what you feel, what you see in front of you and name them out loud.

Eventually, benzodiazepines should only be used as a tool for when you need it the most. I've been off for 3 weeks now and it was one of the hardest things imaginable.

Resources:
      Self withdrawl on benzodiazapines. My dosage high as yours but I have experienced it firsthand. Hopefully you find it usefull.

• Like Like x 1