Dry Fasting

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Hastune, Aug 16, 2018.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      upload_2019-8-6_10-21-26.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But tinnitus may not just be from lost hair cells. Some tinnitus, like mine, is probably from damaged synapses.

• Like Like x 1
    3. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Why don't you just follow a ketogenic diet or even take the ketones from Human, it gives you the same amount of ketones as a week of fasting.
      Following a ketogenic diet will be cheaper though and isn't that difficult, you can even measure if you are in ketosis by using strips.

https://hvmn.com/ketone-ester

• Like Like x 2
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cheaper than not eating?

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Hehe, well you will have to eat one day no?
      If you follow a strict ketogenic diet you can stay in ketosis for... months, years?
      I am planning to do this in the future, I read quite a bit about the positive physical and mental effects.
      Much respect for you doing the fasting but it seems impossible for me to do and it's not sustainable.
      Or maybe you are not fasting to get in ketosis and I'm missing something?

• Like Like x 1
    6. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      You don't really understand fasting.

Ketones aren't what heals you. Something called "autophagy" is what heals you. If you simply consume ketones your body will not enter this state, because it really has more to do with insulin levels than whether or not ketones are present. It just so happens that when your body begins to burn ketones you happen to be in a low insulin state. You're going to have to not eat for that to happen though.

The Sweet Spot for Intermittent Fasting

7. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The people I know that do this break their fast gently, with some fresh fruit or something. I don't know why honestly. Probably less stress on the digestive system

I want to try a 72 hour fast too. I just don't want to miss taking my daily herbs, not sure a few days without them will matter though. The longest fast I've done is 24 hours

8. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Ok thanks for clearing this out , that's what I wanted to know but if you read up about ketogenic diets a lot of people talk about the cognitive advantages and not only the physical ones.
      They sleep better and are in a better mood and have less brain fog.

• Like Like x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Broke down after 48 hours. Started getting too tired to work.

10. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Will you be having a bird's breakfast?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Again - you feel better because you're not using sugar (glucose) as fuel, rather ketones. But just adding ketones without cutting sugar is like having a salad with your ice cream and expecting to lose weight because you had "health food".

I did IF 18:6 5 days a week last winter and I was losing a lb a day, and felt amazing. My issue is I like pizza and booze too much, so I went back to my more common lifestyle.

• Like Like x 1
    12. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      A bird`s breakfast =
      A drink of water and a look around.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I myself do what is akin to "modified partial fasting". It incorporates juices, herbal teas, and liquid foods like bone broth, in conjunction with intermittent fasting. I think some accompanying detoxification support is also essential, like epsom salts baths (with some additoinal sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate bath water), bentonite clay footbaths, charcoal capsules, castor oil packs, etc.

Other supportive measures would be acupuncture and massage, that can either by done by a professional or (MUCH cheaper), by ourselves. Deep breathing, being in nature, and other energy balancing techniques are also very helpful. I think this approach is more sustainable and effective in the long run, and much easier (and enjoyable) on the body and psyche. -- I think simple fasting would have been easier years ago when we weren't inundated by the amount of toxicity, stress, EMFs, and other things our high-strung society puts on our plates these days.
      -
      BTW, I had a chance to talk briefly with a Naturopathic doctor about what she thought might help my tinnitus. She said some of her patients have had success taking ketones that are sold OTC. I'm in the process of doing a supplement order now, and anticipate I'll finally get around to giving it a good try.

• Like Like x 2
    14. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I wasnt talking about supplements but about the diet. If you follow a ketogenic diet to the letter your carb and sugar intake is almost zero, that's why you are starting to produce ketones.
      That's why I thought you are doing the same when you are fasting, I didn't know about the autophagy thing.
      I would like to know if someone did a ketogenic diet as well as fasting and which of the two he/she preferred.
      Just to add that taking ketones as a supplement do have positive effects on your physical health. There is a study done recently in Belgium with cyclists and the ones taking ketones were performing 15 percent better on ketones. It was all over the news here.
      https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/0...udy-finds-that-ketones-are-a-super-fuel-for0/

• Like Like x 1
    15. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Apparently the only supplements that are really working are the ones from human, it's a bottle and quite expensive but it seems to be the real deal and very popular

https://hvmn.com/ketone-ester

• Like Like x 1
    16. lobbypolice

lobbypolice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      i did water fasting a month or 2 ago. tinnitus significantly improved, can't say the 2 are related or not because i did it for weight loss purposes. going to go on another several day or week long water fast.

if anyone is interested in fasting just to try it whether its for possibly helping tinnitus or other reasons. i recommend going onto a keto diet for 2-3 days then starting your fast from there. you will feel the effects of sugar withdrawal much less than just jumping straight into it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    17. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Update please.

18. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      I know this is many months later. I hope you are feeling better. Please hang in there. I also notice a sharp reduction in tinnitus when I fast. I am in the middle of a 3 or 4-day water/coffee/tea fast now after I got a spike from a hair clipper too close to my ear for too long. It is day two and the tinnitus is much lower in volume and less intrusive. It was disgusting to hear it that pronounced and annoying. I also feel like my hearing is worse. It is alarming that little has been done to improve ear health.

Fasting is the number one health measure for a huge array of diseases and chronic conditions including Diabetes, Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, many Cancers, Autoimmune conditions and Arthritis.

Check out this video;

Science of Fasting HD

I'm also reading "Metabolic Autophagy", although there is not much in the book that you can't get by watching Siim's YouTube video channel.

My good friend is a researcher at a top University genetics lab. Funding drives the direction of every study - there is ZERO money left over to do anything pro-social. There will never be serious funding in a capitalist economy for interventions that cost nothing.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The biosciences know almost nothing about how the body works. NOTHING. It appears as if the progress is good because of the volume of the discussion and the media reporting on the number of new scientific papers. But this is not a useful metric. The useful metric is how well we understand something relative to a complete understanding of the mechanisms, conditions, environmental and genetic factors, etc all combined into one comprehensive and functional understanding. The biosciences understand almost nothing by this standard. Let us say 1% of what could be known.

I have said it before. We are 50 years into a lipid hypothesis of heart disease - the disaster that has harmed the health of billions around the world. The consensus among the so-called "scientific community" about what, in very general terms, we are adapted to eat is horribly WRONG and has been for decades. Given this systemic failure - you should be very skeptical of everything coming out of the "scientific community". In contrast, if something works for you - well that is ironclad, and if the intervention that you try is relatively harmless then advising against trying it is just stupid pessimism. Do not trust health authorities, they have proven in stupendous failures to be completely wrong for decades. Try shit out!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Leodavinci -- Great post! Your thinking about what comes out of the "scientific community" is strikingly similar to mine. I tend to look at the science aspect of health care as being quite limiting, especially if it's overrelied on (which it usually is). I'd say it should probably comprise no more than about 10% of our health care decision making process. If you're interested, here's a post I made on another forum about a year ago, which reflects a lot of my own thoughts:

I ran across a very interesting article on the "Flexner Report" that was published in 1910, and had a huge influence on how modern medicine developed in the 20th century. I'd never heard of the report before, but the content of the article fell in line with things I'd long believed about conventional medicine.​

I fully realize modern medicine has brought us many wonders, but I've long been aghast at some of its barbaric practices and inhumanity. Most of us are aware that pwME/CFS have long been "out of favor" with conventional medicine because we don't fit within the narrow confines of its training and practice. I think this article goes a long way in explaining how it came to be that we've had to confront so many untenable situations in our search for better health.

Below is part of the introduction. --- BTW, I think the Cancer Tutor website has a lot of great information for anybody trying to discover more about natural ways to treat cancer.​

How the Flexner Report Hijacked Natural Medicine - Cancer Tutor

If you’ve ever wondered how modern-day medicine got to where it is today, you should begin by learning about Abraham Flexner. He’s probably one of the most influential men no one has ever heard of.

In 1910 he published the book-length report Medical Education in the United States and Canada which is now known as the Flexner Report. And, the rest, as they say, is history.

Abraham Flexner was not a doctor, but this school teacher and educational theorist from Louisville, Kentucky, has had a more significant impact on modern medicine than just about anyone else.

Though institutions such as Johns Hopkins were already implementing “modern principles” into their work, most medical schools had yet to subscribe to these paradigms.

So what Flexner did was to attempt to align medical education under a set of norms that emphasized laboratory research and the patenting of medicine — both of which would serve to further enrich the estates of the entrepreneurs who funded Flexner’s 1910 report: John Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, and others.

Sounds like a win-win, right? … Well, not exactly.

In fact, chances are that if Flexner had not submitted his report that audited medical schools in the United States and Canada, we would not have a society heavily biased in favor of many inhumane and unnatural medical practices that we have today.​

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      We need to fast two or three weeks to get effects as in the video? How is this even possible? I think I will start eating my clothes after a week.

22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @gorzakus -- I didn't watch the video, but I don't think 2-3 weeks of fasting is necessary, and may even be dangerous if not conducted under pretty strict conditions. Given the environment we live in these days, I think it's more advantageous to think in terms of intermittent fasting, which can acrue enormous benefits. By that, I mean stretching out the time interval from the last food you eat on one day (say 6:00 pm) until the first food the next day (say 10:00 am).

16-hour intervals are what a lot of intermittent fasters shoot for, but some go 18 hours, and some have even gotten into the habit of eating just once every 24 hours. One guy in particular made a 22-minute video (link below) on how he was literally forced to go to a once a day eating pattern to overcome some very difficult health challenges. The video is one of the best explanatory videos I've seen on how coffee enemas can help enormously with all kinds of health issues. Not only is the video informative, but I also found it to be somewhat entertaining--especially the way he weaved his own story in with the science of what he was talking about.

BTW, coffee enemas are not necessary to do this kind of intermittent fasting. But I do think they would be a critical adjunct for somebody considering a longer 2-3 week fast. When doing my own intermittent fasting, I feel free to consume various kinds and amounts of juices and teas during the time I'm not eating solid food. I'm a firm believer that unless something (such as fasting) can not be done in an enjoyable way, then it's not likely to be an effective long-term solution to some of the health challenges we're trying to deal with.

Just to mention, I'm not against longer fasts per se, but I do believe we should become very experienced and comfortable with intermittent fasting before embarking on such a possibly difficult undertaking. I myself am hoping to be able to do a 7-day juice/herbal tea fast this coming year (under very favorable circumstances), which I hope will give me some insights as to whether fasting will eventually be able to improve my tinnitus situation. -- @Star64

How I Reversed Chronic Constipation Using Coffee Enemas! | SIBO IBS-C Gallstones

quote-fasting-is-the-first-principle-of-medicine-rumi-57-86-58.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    23. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Thanks for the info! Will try the intermittent fasting first

• Like Like x 2
    24. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I felt the same way at first. I started fasting intermittently - meaning 18 hours each day, no food or calories - about 3 years ago. It is much easier if you are on a low carb diet, which is the only healthy diet long term. I eat about 10% of calories from carbs including simple sugars. I fasted for 64 hours and ended the fast today. My tinnitus is much lower. It could just be the spike alleviating on its own - but I doubt it. Periods of fasting of 24-36 hours in the last two years have reduced my tinnitus and helped me maintain my weight and reduce cravings for sugar. I feel incredible relief today that the high pitched hell has subsided to the former whooshing sound that I lowered my tinnitus to for 95% of the time.

Start small, fast for 16 hours most days and eat in an 8-hour window. Then occasionally fast for 24 hours. The research on this is not new. In animal studies, fasting is remarkable in enhancing health and longevity. We can tell it improves mood and ability to function day to day in animals because they engage in more social activities and they run faster and solve mazes better. They also survive chemotherapy better, reduce disease, live longer. It is a remarkable health intervention that is analogous to exercise. Exercise is only accepted because it's been ingrained in modern people. It is a bizarre activity to force yourself into unneeded and unnatural exertion. Exercise improves your health dramatically because you are designed to survive in physically demanding environments and similarly you are designed to survive with occasional food deprivation. You can do it. You will not be that hungry or lethargic if you work your way up to it.

• Like Like x 4
      • Creative Creative x 1
    25. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Watch the video. It is incredible information.

• Like Like x 2
    26. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Thanks for the info, definitely going to try this, should I drink water with salt in it and take kalium or just a lot of water?

27. Tomas80

Tomas80 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow. Maybe stress?
      Hallo,

please, how often you did intermittent fasting 24 or 36 hrs. Once a month? More often? Thank you! :)

28. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      24 hours at most once a week. Most days I fast 16-20 hours. Every couple months I try to go 36 hours and the most I've done was 60 or so hours. I drink water and coffee and I would add salt if I craved it but I usually don't. My intuition is that it's important to go 24 hours at least once a month and it's not necessary to fast for even 12 hours every day. 30% of my days I'll eat whenever I'm hungry.

• Like Like x 1
    29. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The research is still very young but there seems to be nerve regenerative possibilities with different types of fasting or low carb diets.

Nerve injury and repair in a ketogenic milieu: A systematic review of traumatic injuries to the spinal cord and peripheral nervous tissue

The most aggressive form is dry fasting but it might be good enough to do one meal a day or eat every other day.

A number of good things seem to be happening in the body while in fasting mode:

- Lower inflammation
      - Autophagy (cleaning out of damaged cells)
      - Stimulation of stem cell production

I think this could be one of the few things that might reverse chronic tinnitus.

It might be a long journey and it demands a lot of persistence.

• Like Like x 3
    30. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Don't ketones increase TNF factors which are already high when you have tinnitus? Also, when fasting, can you still take your supplements?

• Good Question Good Question x 1