Ear Popping Habit

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gman45, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      Does anyone else have a habit of constantly yawning or moving their jaw to try and pop or open their ears?

I know in my case I may have ETD (seeing an ENT again in a week so we'll see what they say on this follow up), but I find myself doing this all the time even when not thinking about it, ever since I got tinnitus a few months ago.

Does tinnitus itself give the sensation of clogged ears or do you think that sensation really is more of an ETD thing?

Also, popping the ears does nothing really for the tinnitus in my case, but I still keep doing it as a habit now. Every once in a while it feels like it really opens for second and feels wonderful. Still, no change in tinnitus though. It's stubbornly always there. It hasn't taken a break yet unfortunately.

2. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have complete control over my eustachian tubes and pop/click my ears multiple times a minute. It's definitely become a habit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Me as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      This is me, but I was told this week by an audiologist that it was not ETD but rather TTTS that causes the fullness and need to pop.

5. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yup, same for me and also doesn’t change the tinnitus at all.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      I can't seem to cut it out with always trying to pop my ears. My ENT says a concussion resulted in my brain stopping filtering out tinnitus from pre-existing hearing loss that I never knew I had. However, the full feeling is very real for me since all this.

I wonder why tinnitus makes us feel like we have blocked ears (like ETD), when we don't?

I need a psychiatrist I think. I keep blaming myself for carelessly hitting my head and reliving the moment.

I'm sure many of us do that whether it's hitting you head or being exposed to loud sounds. The cause is complicated and many times can't be avoided, but it still stinks.

7. Anniz
      Blah

Anniz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low volume music producing with headphones for years
      I have ETD. I had a surgery on my eardrums as well when I was a child because mine were clogged all the time.

I pop my ears hundreds of times a day, because my eardrums are so loose that I can move the muscle myself without even touching my ears. I can't even blow my nose slightly without popping them. If I don't pop them, I feel unwell, cloggy.

I have had this my whole life, and got tinnitus on top of this all a month ago. :/

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Bradleytech386

Bradleytech386 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concrete saw
      Yep and I'm not sure what actually causes this but I pop my ears literally hundreds of times a day now... Going to an ENT to have my ears cleaned; maybe the buildup of wax is making my symptoms worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Ryan Jones
      Curious

Ryan Jones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe wood saw noise
      Yep same here. I started popping my ears once tinnitus started and now it’s habit and I can’t stop. Lol.