ENT Suggested an MRI and an Acoustic Reflex Test — Safe for Someone Who Has Hyperacusis and TTTS?

Discussion in 'Support' started by COYS, May 14, 2019.

1. COYS
      Alone

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hello,

I've just got back from an appointment with another ENT. He was actually a lot more knowledgeable about TTTS and ear pain from sound etc. As usual, my hearing test came back fine again (I know they don't test full ranges).

The question I had was he's put me down to have an MRI scan and have an acoustic reflex test. I have mild hyperacusis and TTTS so would these be considered safe? Would be good to get people's experiences.

Thanks,

Mark

2. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      An MRI is fine as long as you wear earplugs. They can be quite loud, depending on the make and model of the machine.

As for the acoustic reflex test, absolutely not! A classically clueless test prescribed by ENT's with no idea of the effects of loud volume on hyperacusis sufferers. It involves increasingly louder short bursts of sound into your ear, reaching up to 100 decibels. Yes really! It's a test that is not even considered particularly useful these days. If I were you, I would simply refuse it.

3. Gman

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops
      No, neither are safe. Is there a good reason for it? Unless the MRI is for a suspected tumour I would avoid at all costs. Acoustic reflex, just no way.
      ENTs are not very knowledgeable in this area. Also they won't have to live with any issues that might result and will deny any responsibility.
      TTTS and hyperacusis can get much worse. Be very careful.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Alone

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Gman probably not! I just want my ear spasms to go away :(

5. Gman

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops
      Then do not do either one. Just stick to normal/safe sounds and the spasms have a good chance of going away eventually. Don't over protect your ears, but avoid loud places. There's no time frame on them going away either, sorry. Everyone's different.