Exhaustion

Discussion in 'Support' started by Denny, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Any tips to deal with the exhaustion/fatigue from lack of sleep? And emotional roller coaster?
      Seem very drained and recharge only to be drained again, very frustrating.

2. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      We've all been there so you're not alone. If you want to go the pharmaceutical route then I'd recommend Remeron. It's the most effective sleep med I've taken yet. If you don't want that route, then you better read up on all the coping/calming techniques you can learn. How bad is your T?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I was on amitriptylline for months but had to stop taking it after i started getting
      loud spikes at night.

4. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've been there, trust me, the T didn't get worse but my awareness of it did. Stress greatly affects T, so you gotta do whatever you have to to calm down and break the loop.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Denny, Sorry you are struggling!! It sucks, I know! I am with Alex on this, you gotta de-stress and stabilize. It's a vicious circle when you worry about getting sleep/rest.

Lot's of things to do. Get naturally tired, exercise!! Work out, run, bike, whatever, just wear yourself out and your sleep will happen. Also try sleepytime tea in the evening. Also agree with Alex about Remeron. I take it and I'm out, no pharm hangover either (at least for me). Amitriptylline was a nightmare for me (can you say zombie!).:wacky:

Additionally, what you are experiencing (unfortunately, but true) is natural. You will start to deal with it better! Stay connected to life (friends, family, here on TT)!! Don't let your T win!! (y) Kick it's you know what!!! I was exactly where you are now, and am doing way better!! You can too!!

Best!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Excellent suggestions from Jeff & Alex. Sleep is an issue for me too during the start. I had to use sleeping pills to help sleep. I also set up some masking by my bed with music and nature sounds. Any form of masking can help distract the brain from focussing on the ringing. The masking sounds break the silence in the bedroom and so T can't be that dominant. Another thing about your anxiety is perhaps to get some meds to ease that. I used Ativan when required. But Klonopin is more long lasting. Some people use Xanax. You should consult your doctor to see what meds you can take to help your emotional side of things. Take care and all the best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Agree these are excellent suggestions. Good sleep is important for many reasons. Masking helps much. And from what I understand Remeron is a very good long-term option, if needed. Considering it myself if recent T increase (6 weeks back) does not abate a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

I was where you are just five months ago and I came on here asking for help. The advice I got was to get some meds if needed to get some sleep and to use some masking. One lovely person even gave me a link to some great music to play to relieve the tension caused by the tinnitus. One can deal with things so much better after sleeping. Then I got some Xanax to get my anxiety under control. Call your doctor as soon as you can and please know that you will start to deal with it better.

This should help while you sleep. Just put your computer in your bedroom.
      White Noise : 9 Hour Long Tinnitus Masking

Also try: http://simplynoise.com/
      http://rain.simplynoise.com/

If you have an ipod you can d/l some white noise and environmental sounds. They really offer relief. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I couldn't sleep without my milk and cereal at night. Sugar free of course. There's a lot of triptophene (however you spell it) in milk, not just turkey. Simple carbs are great for sleeping. Just like a baby, some bland cereal then nighty night.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Terrible week, I have not slept in 2 days and T is really annoying. Having
      a heat wave on top of it. The combination of heat,exhaustion and Tinnitus
      are really wearing me out.

11. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      This is my regular night time ritual now I have tinnitus.

1. Turn both fans on. The one at the foot of the bed, and the one on my bedside cabinet.
      2. Leave the TV on quietly. Usually with a recorded episode of QI.
      3. Load a YouTube video of nature sounds ready, just in case I need it in the middle of the night.
      4. Spray my new steroid spray up my nose. Not sure why I'm using it, but my doctor said it might help (it hasn't)
      5. Make sure my new wooden wind chimes are being hit by the bedside fan.
      6. Put my eye mask on. I now need one as need to block out the light from the TV.
      7. Go to sleep.

Before I got tinnitus, I went straight to step 7.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I have done everything;but this sleep issue is a real pain even after a year and
      a half of this bullshit.

13. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      My question is in a 1 1/2 years did it appear your T get better? I am in a current relapse. One month..I take Ambien 10mg and depending 1 or 1,5 Xanax to sleep. I've had a few relapses but with the help of a good doctor and meds I always habituated. It takes time.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Ken it has gotten better ;but the pattern of stress-insomnia-increased T
      setbacks is tiring. Waking up with T blasting in the morning after
      a night of poor sleep just ruins the whole day.

15. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Denny, It is better except when you don't sleep? Have your tried the meds I take? I believe your anxiety level includes at bed time. I know how that feels. When I completely habituated I didn't need sleep aids.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I was taking amitriptylline but it caused loud spikes. Currently taking valerian root
      and melatonin.

17. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Have you tried Ambien?

18. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      To anyone in need of sleep desperately - I recommend ~Remeron it is impossible NOT to sleep on that stuff in my opinion. Beware the side effects though - primarily massive weight gain :|

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Once you start you can not sleep without it.

20. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Once I realized I could sleep without meds I can say I had no problem stopping Ambien after about a year.

• Like Like x 1
    21. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Weight gain is not the only potential side effect.

Tinnitus is another one: https://www.druginformer.com/search/side_effect_details/remeron/tinnitus.html.

...and there is more: https://www.druginformer.com/search/side_effect/mirtazapine/?page=36&ipp=10.

Small chance of getting T because of it? Maybe. Is it worth taking the chance? Probably not. I am still recovering from taking Remeron for three weeks almost one year ago for insomnia (I did not have tinnitus before). My advice is to think twice before taking these types of medications.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      @MariaH

Do you think remeron caused your tinnitus??

I was taking 3 medications prior to T :
      Lisinopril ,aspirin and amitriptylline all can cause T
      I sometimes suspect one of these could have been a cause??

23. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Yes it did for me Denny. I had read about Remeron being a ''safe'' sedating drug, but it wasn't for me, and now I found out that I am not the only one. I can only hope that time will be a healer. What about you Denny? Are you feeling any better these days?
      Maria

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I am feeling better, sleep is the biggest issue.

25. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I was prescribed REMERON as an antidepressant but it did nothing for the depression. I now use it only as a sleep aid and not every night. I should not be using as just a sleep aid but it works and that is really all that matters..I cannot tell it has had any effect on the T either before or after starting. It does cause weight gain and according to my Dr. is often prescribed just for that reason.