Feeling Hopeless About Current Clinical Trials and Their Exclusion Criteria

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems as if the trials happening at the moment have exclusions? Is that true :( ?

I have moderate hearing loss, will it not work for me :(

I don't see the point in living like this if it's not going to help my hearing loss :(

Someone? What do you think? I just want the gaps in my brains filled to no longer hear tinnitus :(

I don't know what to think :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've never seen any clinical trial that didn't have any exclusion. It's not just the trials happening at the moment: it's by nature of clinical trials, as you need to get rid of potential outliers that may bias your study result.

Think of it this way (it's more positive): it's thanks to the exclusions that the study's results are going to be more reliable, and in turn, provide the community with new treatments faster.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's true, you're right, just sadly it may take a longer for me :( but did you hear about the exclusion? Or are people simply suggesting? I just hope they find a cure for all of us suffering :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You're not alone. A lot of us patiently wait for medical help.

What exclusion are you referring to as "the" exclusion?

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Well they have to figure out if it works for 1 thing first. If they can help extreme hearing loss then I think a lot of us are in luck, and just because the trial is based on a certain level of hearing loss doesn't mean you're excluded. Maybe from this trial-yes, but if it works and they release this drug, pony up the cash and it'll be yours

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      People were commenting that hearing loss over 40 dB wouldn't be effective, I just hope that's not quite true and it's an opinion :/ and yes we all have to sadly be patient till a cure comes to the rescue :( thank you

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      They were referring to just one trial. There are several companies working on various approaches. Also the number I remember was closer to 50-55 dB than 40 if I'm not mistaken, but at any rate, we really don't know at this time. I have 55 dB losses at 8 kHz so I'm just as interested as anyone about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh alright, so there's still some hopes, but we still don't know yet exactly. I hope we can all get cured of this misery, I have hopes they will find a way to cure us all eventually :) thank you, good luck and cheers

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You're right, you're right! I shouldn't lose hopes, we can all eventually be cured. & thank you, just bc I'm excluded from a trial doesn't mean it's not for me and oooh yes, stack up the cash and go get that cure! We got this, we will be cured! :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1