Have You Been in a Clinical Trial for Tinnitus or Hearing Loss? Share Your Experience

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey there,

Have any of you been in a clinical trial for tinnitus or hearing loss? Which one? How did you find the trial, what was the application process like?

Do you know if you got the placebo or active treatment? Did your tinnitus or hearing loss improve as a result?

Would you suggest someone like me trying to apply for a clinical trial?

Lastly, why do so many clinical trials have exclusion criteria?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've never seen any clinical trial that didn't have any exclusion. It's not just the trials happening at the moment: it's by nature of clinical trials, as you need to get rid of potential outliers that may bias your study result.

Think of it this way (it's more positive): it's thanks to the exclusions that the study's results are going to be more reliable, and in turn, provide the community with new treatments faster.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

VeryUnfortunate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hey everyone.

I am also curious to see if anyone has experience joining any clinical trial of sorts?

What was the process to get in? Any tips or warnings before trying to join one?

Thank you.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      The biggest barrier is travel right now. Otherwise I'd be in a clinical trial for Ketamine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I applied for the FX-322 but didn't get in.

The process itself is pretty straight forward, though. You go to the clinicaltrials.gov website and contact the number listed at the location you are interested in. Then, they set up an in person interview and ask for your medical records. They explain the treatment and the schedule and if you meet the criteria, they set up the first testing and treatment appointments.

Definitely look at the public inclusion/exclusion requirements on the clinical trials site to see if you qualify before you travel though or you will be wasting time and money.

6. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

VeryUnfortunate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for the informative reply. I appreciate it. I am only 6 weeks in to my tinnitus/hyperacusis yet I am already getting so desperate.

I wish there were more trials in Phase 2 so I could have more hope for the future and maybe even apply to one.