Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, benzo/mirtazapine withdrawal, or combo!
      But if things, regarding seemingly all kinds of approaches to regenerate our HC, are as restricted as you say, I don´t see how money would help?

One could of course always push it as an illegal substance on the streets.
      I can picture it now, people sitting in dark alleys, not with needles in their veins, but in their ears. LOL!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    2. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ronald Reagan had hearing loss and tinnitus. I'm not sure how much sympathy we'll get from this President. Considering all the serviceman with tinnitus, and the absolutely astronomical sums of money they pay out in disability, you would think treatment or a cure would be a top priority. I often wonder how much tinnitus factors into the suicide rate for our veterans. Tinnitus on top of PTSD doesn't make for very good mental health. It's an absolute shame on our nation that tinnitus isn't given top priority.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      LOL. The money could go to lobbyists and advertising campaigns. That kind of stuff really can get things moving.
      Also, more money could pay for larger trials.

It would have to be something big, like Trump tweeting about it, getting the FDA to accelerate their reviews and for Frequency Therapeutics and Otonomy etc. to hire more people to run more trials concurrently.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Do you really wish that on someone?

5. JohnAdams
      Starving

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I don't mean to poo poo on this parade, but I think hair cell regeneration will only get us so far. We are also going to need our synapses and nerves regenerated/repaired. Dr. Robert Jackler from Stanford University stated that nerves regenerate to connect to new hair cells but I really am starting to think that we are going to need combinations of hair cell regeneration, synapse repair and nerve repair to get totally back to silence.

I am now researching substances that could help us achieve this.

I'm starting here:
      "Myelination of peripheral nerves by Schwann cells requires coordinate regulation of gene repression as well as gene activation. Several chromatin remodeling pathways critical for peripheral nerve myelination have been identified, but the functions of histone methylation in the peripheral nerve have not been elucidated. To determine the role of histone H3 Lys27 methylation, we have generated mice with a Schwann cell-specific knock-out of Eed, which is an essential subunit of the polycomb repressive complex 2 (PRC2) that catalyzes methylation of histone H3 Lys27. Analysis of this mutant revealed no significant effects on early postnatal development of myelin. However, its loss eventually causes progressive hypermyelination of small-diameter axons and apparent fragmentation of Remak bundles. These data identify the PRC2 complex as an epigenomic modulator of mature myelin thickness, which is associated with changes in Akt phosphorylation. Interestingly, we found that Eed inactivation causes derepression of several genes, e.g., Sonic hedgehog (Shh) and Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 2 (Igfbp2), that become activated after nerve injury, but without activation of a primary regulator of the injury program, c-Jun. Analysis of the activated genes in cultured Schwann cells showed that Igfbp2 regulates Akt activation. Our results identify an epigenomic pathway required for establishing thickness of mature myelin and repressing genes that respond to nerve injury."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4452560/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Gorbeh3

Gorbeh3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      But then what do you make of the recent trial where Frequency Therapeutics stated improved hearing and word/audiometry scores in patients given the treatment?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      No, not at all. I'm getting desperate. Sorry!

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I am so sorry. I am desperate too. I cry. I pray. I have habituated after several relapses. Have you ever had okay times in 17 years?

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. JohnAdams
      Starving

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      There could still be damage to the auditory nerve that is generating a tinnitus sound. Restoring hearing surely will diminish tinnitus but my comment was about curing us all together.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      Ok, if I read this I think you are worse off than me. There are days that I'm desperate due to tinnitus. But generally I keep myself busy and I'm able to put it away.

• Like Like x 3
    11. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      That may be true but it is all subjective. I hope you have more good days. I wish you well and pray for better treatments or a cure.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I guess there has to be enough conviction that this is the right way, most people/investors aren’t convinced thus far, otherwise there would be more capital. I know you’re sold but yeah, that means nothing, have to convince the smart money, and not just a bunch of yahoos on Tinnitus Talk that think they have found the cure.

You think the smart money skipped this over? Time to get a grip on reality maybe?

• Like Like x 3
    13. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      FYI:

"Frequency secured $42 million in funding through a series B round this past January to advance FX-322’s clinical testing and the company’s regenerative medicine work in other applications.

The round was led by Taiwania Capital Management and Axil Capital, a healthcare-focused venture fund spun out of Mizuho Securities. New backers included Yonjin Capital and DF Investments, while previous investors Polaris Founders Capital, Alexandria Venture Investments, CoBro Ventures, Korea Investment Partners and Emigrant Capital also participated, bringing the company's total funding to $87 million."

Source: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biote...sults-for-small-molecule-hearing-loss-therapy

That's 87 million so far. Their presentation in September will probably also be a sales pitch to investors, so this will be the next step to get more "smart money". Innovational science is doing exactly what you are talking about: turning hearing restoration into reality, and Frequency Therapeutics isn't the only one doing it.

Please see this website:
      www.hearinglosstreatmentreport.com

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Telis. Are you talking to me? I'm not convinced of anything much and I never believed that Frequency Therapeutics was a sure thing. I believe that Frequency Therapeutics have got enough money to continue doing what they're doing, and when they need more they'll probably get it.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Looking forward to you being proven wrong... as well as getting my FX-322 SHOT. I don't share your cynicism my friend.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Problem is we are still stuck in the same old paradigm. Many still believe hearing aids, TRT, and CBT are the only possible treatments for hearing loss and tinnitus. All three of these are multimillion dollar industries that would lose a lot of revenue if this becomes reality. The general public isn't even aware of the possibilities of hearing regeneration.

Unless you have hearing loss a treatment or cure is not exactly at the forefront of your mind.

Many older people care just looking for the quick fix hearing aids offer so they can just get on with their lives.

Not to mention the stigma that still surrounds hearing loss. Unlike vision issues there is still shame and embarrassment that many with hearing loss harbor. Often there is a questioning of someone's intellectual capabilities if they have hearing loss.

If a treatment or cure does come available it will truly be nothing short of miraculous.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You're off by a few orders of magnitude. It's a multi-billion dollar industry.

That's not unusual: the public doesn't know of treatments that haven't reached their MDs, unless they are particularly interested in scientific research and look for stuff on their own (like a few people in here do). And so far, since no treatment has passed all of the requirements to reach an MD, it's not surprising that nobody knows about it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    18. SergioN

SergioN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma + ototoxicity
      But billions of dollars will be spent in regenerative drugs instead of nanotechnology. If drugs work, new companies will fight for those billions of dollars now in hands of current actors. Tell me if I am wrong.

Or current industry will pay Frequency Therapeutics to voluntarily fail? It will be a drama.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. JohnAdams
      Starving

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      So the investors that have given $87 million are stupid?

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      God, when will they say something! September is such a wait, especially if the next trial isn't this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      3M should be contributing $100,000,000.00 a year to tinnitus research after they knowingly sold the world defective earplugs!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Genius Genius x 1
    22. Jackjohnson183

Jackjohnson183 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal
      It could be possible that they already have started Phase 2a trials. But what would worry me is that instead of Phase 3 it will be Phase 2b next.

If it does work and people are desperate they should release it asap

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Next to FX-322 actually failing, this is the most frightening scenario of all.

Buying out a new innovation to protect an old existing industry, especially in the realm of human health, is one of the most sinister and evil aspects of capitalism.

It's really a human rights issue, but sadly, I doubt anyone would legislate or control to prevent it.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I can't think of any treatment that is like ear regeneration and healing. OK maybe cornea transplants...

• Like Like x 3
    25. JohnAdams
      Starving

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Well, we as a community aren't making enough noise about this to capitalize on the situation. You certainly don't see the American Tinnitus Association making a peep about it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    26. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication
      Even if they pay them to fail the research is still there, someone will sneak it out and re-start somewhere else, so it could be a big delay but not the end of it. And it's not necessarily going to work for everyone, so nanotechnology would be still useful to develop. Also, let's not forget that we don't have just FX-322, we can put some hope also on REGAIN, and that is sponsored by the European commission, so it's harder to derail probably.

https://www.regainyourhearing.eu/

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Here is what makes it worse. 3M would still be selling the defective earplugs if it wasn't for 'whistleblower brought forward allegations that the company knowingly sold the U.S. military defective earplugs'

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    28. FGG

FGG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's
      Exactly, too many players and many potential billions for the first successful company.

Even Hough Ear Institute has their own hearing regeneration study going and I believe are not for profit/potential bribery.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    29. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @FGG It is not unheard of a brand name drug manufacturer bribe the generic company not to manufacture their same drug. You have to be a greedy bastard to do that kind of thing.

30. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      It's a problem. Doctors are comfortable offering these treatments and it will take time to adapt to something new. When you talk about ear regeneration or bimodal neuromodulation, they underestimate them as pilot tests or things without scientific backing. Then they offer to do TRT or Sound Therapy (ha-ha!).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1