Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Completely impossible.

Those images are from extracted and dissected cochleas and imaged with electron microscopes. The cochlear organ is located in your skull in a very hard bony structure. I think it is the hardest bone in the body.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think they were full on regular hearing aids. I've read online in other places it can do that for some people too.

• Like Like x 1
    3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      We are getting closer to this, I think.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3064988/

• Like Like x 2
    4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If you go to YouTube and search for Hearing Test HD, you can see where your frequencies drop yourself. They increase numerically one by one instead of every 1000 Hz.

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      veen if they could get an electron microscope on the end of an endoscope, there would still be no way to see the hair cells. The endoscope would have to penetrate the round window, or a hole would have to be drilled in the cochlea. Imaging hair cells in the cochlea of a living organism is Start Trek level stuff that is nowhere close to existing. Just look how big they are right now.

The Scanning Electron Microscope

6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Dr. Schnitzer at Stanford seems to working on one with a tip so small and flexible that it fits through the round window.

The gerbil studies are attempting to correlate hair cell morphology and other inner ear pathologies with the lesions and other fibrotic changes seen with the microendoscopy. With a high correlation, this would give otologist a very good estimate of what they would likely look like with electric microscope. It's pretty awesome research and may eventually allow this kind of in vivo diagnostics. It's not perfect but would provide infinitely more individual diagnostic ability than we have now.

• Like Like x 2
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It is.

The other fun fact is that the ossicle in contact with the cochlea (called "the stapes") is the smallest bone in the body.

Otosclerosis is essentially the fact that this bony structure that is supposed to be hard and not undergo any remodeling, well, does undergo remodeling (like our other bones constantly do), leading to a "mushy" contact between the stapes and the cochlea, which itself is the root cause for the conductive losses.

When things go bad - like in my case, lucky me - the actual bone remodeling process also releases enzymes into the cochlea that are toxic to the hair cells, killing them. That's why I had both conductive and sensorineural losses due to otosclerosis. I "fixed" the conductive losses via surgery, but as we all know well, there's nothing to be done for the sensorineural losses at the moment.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And penetrates the membrane?

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Seems to be implied, yes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a tiny camera then. But you do realize how small the hair cells are right? To image them you pretty much need an electron microscope. Right?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Right. That's why the gerbil studies are attempting to correlate the appearance and pattern of lesions found in the cochlea in real time to what they find after gerbil necropsy with an electron microscope.

• Like Like x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought that study was talking about electrode placement in cochlear implants, sorry I just barely glanced at it. Is that the case?

13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It was about electrode placement. That's the immediate use for it.

For the microendoscope to be used diagnostically, there
      is ongoing research ultimately aimed at correlating the microendoscope imaging in the cochlea with likely electron microscopy findings (gerbil necropsy studies).

I posted the article with the cochlear implant just to show that they already have microendoscopes that fit into the cochlea through the round window.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      When a diagnostic tool exists we’ll find out that we have slight damage to some hairs and so does most of the populations with some hearing loss and no tinnitus...?
      Wouldn’t a diagnostic tool analysing brain hyperactivity be more useful?

Don’t think the hearing loss route will help us.
      Of course great for those with significant hearing loss for whom tinnitus sounds louder than it would otherwise...

• Genius Genius x 1
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not if the hyperactivity originates in the cochlea, auditory nerve, or the DCN. I'm very confident that tinnitus doesn't originate in the brain unless you have had a brain injury.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I can't say the same thing for me though..

17. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Unfortunately, it is true that it doesn't happen for everyone. My hearing is normal so I can't even try that route. I will be trying Lenire though! That and anything else that may come up for treatment.

• Like Like x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really??????????

I've never heard that. Very interesting. Tinnitus. What a mysterious beast.

19. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes my tinnitus is very reactive and when I use my hearing aids the tinnitus seems to be trying to be on the top of any sound. Very weird, it is hard to even explain it. I have high frequency hearing loss, it starts at 4 kHz all the way to 8 kHz. The biggest gap is at 8 kHz - 70 dB hearing loss. One will assume that I can benefit from hearing aids but unfortunately that is not the case.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. SergioN

SergioN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma + ototoxicity
      Will FX-322 help with ear damage caused by barotrauma? I think my tinnitus worsened yesterday due to pressing my tragus too quick and too vehemently because one loud sound surprised me. It was a reflex movement. I'm regretting it and hoping it will improve in time.

Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    21. Mr Mister

Mr Mister Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss, loud music
      If there is a will there's a way. We got nuclear submarines and a man on the moon... It is a question of resource allocation.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    22. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Your post is self explanatory, you wouldn't be on this thread if you didn't take it seriously as a possible solution to hearing loss, hence the thread name:
      Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration
      There are plenty of threads on magic pills and neuroplasticity that can reportedly ease the perception of tinnitus.

23. zhiyuan
      Depressed

zhiyuan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss
      I find that generally the aim of a phase 3 trial is to compare the effects of a new drug with a present most useful drug. Since currently there exists no drug for hearing loss, so if phase 2 is successful, could FX-322 skip phase 3?

• Good Question Good Question x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    24. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Zhiyuan,

I'm new to all this and I love the idea that they could go from phase 2 straight to public launch. Have you seen an example of this happening?

The clinicalstudy.gov site described stage 3 as "A phase of research to describe clinical trials that gather more information about a drug's safety and effectiveness by studying different populations and different dosages and by using the drug in combination with other drugs. These studies typically involve more participants."

I guess I took this to mean checking for interactions with common drugs, fine tuning dosages, developing protocols for maximum efficacy, and testing in a genetically/demographically diffuse group to make sure nothing weird popped up in certain sub groups.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Stefaniie

Stefaniie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Hi all.

Would FX-322 be effective in treating hearing loss caused by Meniere's as well?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    26. tarmaced
      Wtf

tarmaced Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004 (mild) 2018 (not so mild)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, compounded by noise exposure
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2...-after-phase-ii-a-response-to-matthew-herper/

See the above link for the description of the 'conditional approval process'. This does happen.

This might also be referred to as rolling review.

Also see the link below to confirm that this has also happened 30 times in the EU:
      https://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j2062

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    27. zhiyuan
      Depressed

zhiyuan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss
      Sorry it's just my guess. Your reply may answer my question. Comparison is only one of the aims in phase 3. So they may not skip it.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Misticvega

Misticvega Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure?
      This. I think phase 3 is necessary to determine the maximum efficacy. What happens if we give this dude more? What if he comes back a 2nd or 3rd time? Does the patient with more hearing loss need more or is it all the same - once the process starts it's a chain reaction? How long until the hearing is restored? Does ones environment after the procedure affect results?

Phase 3 is big-time. If we can get through this, we may be close.

• Like Like x 2
    29. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All these questions could be answered with a phase 3 open trial, where they start offering it to the public and that's what I think will happen.

Also, let's not get too hyped about this. Will McLean seems to have indicated his belief that restoring hearing will treat tinnitus, and I think that is true as well, but for some or many of us, this is not simply the case. If we have disregulated nerve synapses then this might not do anything for us, unless the disregulated synapses are staying disregulated because of the loss of input from lost hair cells, which might be the case. One thing I don't believe is that tinnitus starts in the brain unless you have a brain injury.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Misticvega

Misticvega Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure?
      Do you mean that the nerve synapses themselves have been damaged too, in addition to the loss of hair cells?

• Like Like x 1