Gabapentin (Neurontin)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jeff M., Jan 17, 2014.

1. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Generally you want to stick on a drug such as Gabapentin for about a month to evaluate its therapeutic effect. 200mg and 100mg (some people take 800mg or more) is a very low dosage for as well, but if the side effects are not tolerable work with your doctor for something else; if your doctor offers Lyrica you will see the dosages are much lower at 75mg as the drug is much more potent.

2. efferent
      Confused

efferent Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild Sensorineural Hearing Loss (25-35 db in 4k-8k)
      I have been on Gapapentin for 1 month now. Ramped up from 300mg /day for a week to 600mg /day for a week followed by 900mg /day now. I have had no effect on T so far. I am supposed to call my Doc next week who had told me that the dosage may need to be increased as for some people, the dosage needs to be higher than 900mg for it to have a significant therapeutic effect. I will report back once if the Doc and I decide to increase dosage and/ or duration of treatment with Neurontin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      Gabapentin plus Klonopin used to work good for me until I fell asleep. Dr. Shulman had an article on it. I'm on Lyrica 75mg x 2/day for some spinal pain problems. I will probably up it to 150mg x 2.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Neurontin has seemed to help me at reducing klonopin usage but I don't find it reducing my tinnitus. Klonopin stopped lowering my tinnitus on its own and I found that if I take it sometimes in the afternoon it can make my tinnitus louder. However, I found that if right before I go to sleep I combine maybe 1mg of melatonin with .125 of klonopin (taken at the same time), my tinnitus can be lower the next day. At least that is the way it is right now. I hope it doesn't stop working. That is the ONLY way so far that I have been able to get klonopin to work again.

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A new clinical trial has completed in Iran with with results according to the BTA's Q1 update https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/2017-quarter-1

Clinical study source - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28393057/

"After 6 weeks' treatment, the VAS significantly decreased in both groups (P<0.001), but the reduction was significantly greater in the gabapentin group compared with control (P<0.001). Forty-nine patients (89%) in the gabapentin group and 28 control patients (58.3%) responded to treatment (≥30% reduction in VAS), with the difference between the two groups being statistically significant (P<0.001)."

I might note: This was a double blinded and randomised trial to give it greater credibility too.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    7. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My psychiatrist prescribed Gabapentin (300mg) a day to treat my anxiety and depression. Today was day one and so far my tinnitus has spiked in response to the drug, which is odd considering it's Gabamanergic, which should make it quieter.

I'm concerned that continuing it will result in a permanent spike, assuming it hasn't already happened. What experience do those of you have used the drug have?

8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I've been using gabapentin since before tinnitus. It's used to treat my chronic pain and I'm surprised that it treats anxiety and depression because I still have both of those things. Actually, I have both of those things to such a degree that I sure wish I could get help with them.

I dislike reading people around here pursuing gabapentin as a means to treat tinnitus. Not because they shouldn't talk about it and not because I believe they shouldn't do it… But because it makes me wonder about what might my gabapentin's relationship with my tinnitus is. It makes me wonder if my tinnitus is actually worse and I just don't know it.

(Oh, yeah, in case you didn't know, some people around here actually take gabapentin to make the sound of their tinnitus lesser. A bit of the opposite of what you are experiencing but everyone's bodies are different)

9. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      My tinnitus was also worsened by gabapentin, so people who experienced the same thing should not feel that they are weird, as it happened to others.

10. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did it ever go back to baseline or get better?

11. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      Not that it got worse, but had gotten waaaay worse, so what I did was to quickly take Rivotril made by Roche, the med that saved my life. After I took Rivotril the tinnitus got lower, so after Gabapentin tinnitus did get lower, but not naturally.

Whether Rivotril saved my life or buried me even deeper, remains to be seen. You know that benzos have a bad reputation. But so far this med has bought me time.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single Sided Sudden Hearing Loss
    13. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m trialling Gabapentin at the moment and on 300mg a day which is a low dosage. So far it’s had a very strong improvement to my mood and I’ve slept much better. I don’t think it’s made a huge difference to the tinnitus volume but I’m still at a low dosage. I’m occasionally mixing with .25mg (low dosage) of klonopin as well to see if that makes any difference.

Side effects have been minimal so far, maybe a slight sexual change in libido and you feel slightly more tired but the mood boost overcomes that and it’s likely to decrease with time.

I will keep increasing the dosage and see what happens. So far it’s a lot more tolerable than Lyrica (the newer version of Gabapentin) that I took for a while.

14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      From everything I've heard, Gabapentin seems to be better tolerated and have fewer side effects than Lyrica. I often take Gabapentin before bed, it seems to improve my sleep and often have a better day after.

Lately, though, I've been wondering if it's doing more harm than good. I've noticed a gradual worsening (a new tone that's popped up and has gotten louder). It could be due to previous noise exposure or a spike, etc. I don't know. :dunno:

15. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems to be much better tolerated than Lyrica which is a much more potent drug; but I am on a low dosage. I am defiantly sleeping better. What dosage are you on? As for working out if its Gabbapentin or a noise exposure, I guess wait to see if it settles down on succession of the drug. I have not noticed any new noise, but I'm only on 300mg.

16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think it was the noise exposure not the Gabbapentin. I'll take 300mg before bed occasionally, none during the day. I've been taking it for a while now with no problems. Two weeks ago I worked around some noisy equipment with earplugs in, and I think it was too much for my ears.

I'm currently debating asking my ENT for IT steroid injection for the worsening, but I don't know if that would be overkill... I know it's a shot in the dark with limited evidence for its efficacy.

17. Robert Grant

Robert Grant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      I take 600 milligrams of Gabapentin 4 times a day it does no good for this hearing stuff

18. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Try adding Klonopin and see if it helps.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    19. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m taking about 600mg now. The side effects are more pronounced for me now. I’ve noticed slightly elevated levels of anxiousness and aggression; though manageable.

My tinnitus is still there; though I would say it’s overall intensity has “slightly” reduced so it’s easier to ignore during the day. It’s not enough for me to say its definitive casual link; I could just be having a quiet day too!

20. TomK
      Buzzed

TomK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud machines, music,
      Gabapentin was prescribed for nerve damage in my back, it helps greatly and it also lowers my acoustic trauma induced tinnitus!

600mg of Gabapentin every eight hours, yeah.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Carltonr

Carltonr Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo tapering
      Happen to see this thread just now. It is almost two years since but could not find your response then. I would like now to repeat ABakos question "are you still T free?"

22. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I have tried it a couple of times and experienced an additional sound after taking it.
      Discontinued it in a short time. I think this sound has gone away. I have experienced several reoccurrences of this sound so it's hard to tell.

One positive thing that I've noticed is that it alleviated some burning pain from hyperacusis and made some sounds like YouTube videos on the phone less shrilling.

So if you're experiencing hyperacusis in form of neuropathic pain it's worth it trying Gabapentin. However if you notice an increase in tinnitus it's better to stop taking it since it has tinnitus and vertigo as a side effect.

23. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's quite a high dose. I have 300mg pills.

24. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Only a guess, but probably hearing loss.
      Made it much worse. Much!

25. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did the concoction work for you at all from another thread?

• Like Like x 1
    26. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've been consuming gabapentin for the past few months. First I started with 300 mg, then 600 mg, then 800 mg and now I'm consuming 1200 mg dose. I have had noise induced tinnitus for 2 years and 2 months, hyperacusis 9 months and some sort of neuralgia for 7 months (started 2 months after I developed severe hyperacusis after shooting a gun). I'm consuming gabapentin in order to reduce that demonic constant burning pain. So far I haven't noticed any changes in my tinnitus whatsoever, it's the same like always. It's mostly moderate but can even go close to mild just like always...

• Like Like x 2
    27. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have you ever taken Klonopin with it? Do you get dry mouth from gabapentin?

• Like Like x 1
    28. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @just1morething
      The Turmeric & Ginkgo experiment?
      No, not after a while. It seemed to in the beginning like so many things. After a while, the tinnitus got louder. Had high hopes only to be dashed again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Marko Nakovski
      So glad it’s helping with your pain. But for my type of T, it’s not a good fit. Mine is not noise induced.

30. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How long did you take it and what dosage? Was it a spike in loudness or new tones? Did it go away?

• Like Like x 1