Going to the Movies Friday

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamie m, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I am going Friday to the movies!! I'm finding courage to go! It's the movie central intelligence so I don't think it will be that loud. I am a little nervous. I will be wearing ear plugs but I haven't been to the movies in months since the onset so I should be okay with plugs!
      Who has gone to the movies since T? And did you get a spike or should I be fine!!

2. alexandrrax

alexandrrax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Me I go movies maybe 3-4 times a month!No spikes to be honest, no earplugs.My tinnitus , I didnt realise it existed anymore!So I think you would be fine without earplugs..I got a T spike after a concert though

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I went and watched Star War, Iron Man, Bat Man etc. Didn't bring earplugs. Just used my fingers when it got crazy loud. No effect on my T. I could hear my T above the sounds of a raging rapids. So it can't get any worse. LOL. But members should use prudence when it comes to this especially if your T is relatively new and the ears are still unsettled. I didn't go movies for 2 years at least after T. Then I went to movies gingerly with earplugs after that but not now. Things can get better.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      4 months in, and wanting to bad to go the conjuring 2 but i bet there will be a lot of girls screaming lol

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I go to the Movies almost every week. Going to Star Wars is "easy", in the last couple of weeks I watched Ninja Turtles and Warcraft (The popcorn was good). I always carry my earplugs with me, I usually wear them during the previews an in the first intro/action scene. Then take them off, eat popcorn, and put them on again for the big finale. (I know, I love action movies but they are very formulaic), so I'll wear earplugs when I know they'll raise the sound more for comfort and ease of mind, I really don't know if I can hurt my hearing just by spending a couple of hours at the movies (even action movies have talking, than explosions, than more talking, etc. Most of them aren't loud noises for two hours straight, except maybe Mad Max).

Some of the "Macro" "Imax" "4D" whatever rooms seem louder to me. I wouldn't go into a Michael Bay movie at an Imax without protection, but other than that, I don't care that much anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Oh man, Batman sucked so much I wish I didn't see it :p

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thank you guys, knowing you guys go to movies with no problem makes me feel better! I can't wait for the popcorn!!! :D :rockingbanana::rockingbanana::rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I go but i don't wear earplugs. Wouldn't be able to hear dialougue clearly.

9. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I went to a movie last month even with my ear plugs I got a spike for a week. But I must admit that those ear plugs were cheap ones.

Please, protect your ears from loud noises. Movies are crazy loud for damaged ears like ours.

Take care

10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Take a good pair of earmuffs with you - like the Peltor x5a
      If you see someone draw a firearm or explosions are going to happen you know what you have to do !

11. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Have you had regular audiograms to make sure you are not losing hearing?

12. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I still bring earplugs with me everywhere I go but I have basically weaned myself off completely (unless it's a movie like the new Star Wars, which is INSANELY loud.) At no time, plugs or otherwise, has a movie made my tinnitus worse for maybe a day or so. Actually one of my favorite movie experiences ever was seeing the doc Amy because it was insanely sad but beautiful, and was the first movie I really had the guts to watch without earplugs since I knew the volume wouldn't go up to explosion level (it did not.)

13. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      But i thought current audiograms belong to dark ages.....they give me perfect hearing certicate...but i know there is slight issue hearing low voices with background noise

My thinking on cinema is why risk it..why not watch it at home where we control the volume

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Go to the movies and enjoy. Seeing a first-run flick in a theater is different than seeing it at home, at least not for me. I go all the time (I do wear ear plugs, though) and it's never bothered me. Take a long ear muffs as well, just in case.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I went to see the Conjuring 2 last weekend and forgot my plugs but did and up pulling my hearing aids out.
      Was scary but loved it.
      Ears were ok.....lots of love glynis

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @glynis that's what I'm seeing in an hour!!!! I hope it's scary!

17. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      hey, i am sitting next to you :)

mr-bean-watches-a-scary-movie-o.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Just came back from the movies... It was good...now I'm researching the " true " story.... Mistake. Now I'll have nightmares

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      You watched it without protection?, i have wanted to see the conjuring 2, so bad!!

20. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      How was it?? the story :O

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Was great well worth going.....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      It was good. Very scary at end, didn't get a spike so that's good. I was a little scared bc tickets were sold out only seats in the very very very front. But I just didn't let it stress me out and the whole time I was just scared of the movie not of T haha. I'm watching Independence Day in August with my dad ( his request) so I'll make sure to sit in middle bc I know that will be a little louder

23. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Yes it should definitely be OK with plugs. Depending on the movie, depending on the theater, sometimes I don't even have to put plugs.

EDIT: I just realized you already went here. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it ;)

• Hug Hug x 1