Guitar Prescription

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Apr 6, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've sold a lot of instruments through the years just because they bothered my ears in a certain way. I'm talking acoustic. I can't do electric music no way no how.
      Recently I saw a guitar online and liked the description of the neck and string spacing being wide, which is nice.
      I went to Elderly's and got this small body Loar steel string guitar. After a week, the report is in, this is a tinnitus friendly guitar. For me, the frequencies and volume are not annoying. It doesn't "sound" small, though, .. it's like a great sounding dreadnaught turned down a notch. I had to give up on music a few years ago my spike was so bad. To me, this is a great discovery.
      So if you're in the market for a guitar, for fingerpicking or strumming, I'd recommend this one.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      So glad for you!!!! :D

3. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Yeah, anything with Guitar as subject catches my eye.

@I who love music, I don't see why you can't play electric at bedroom volume. I do. It's not any louder than an acoustic lets say. Electric guitars are just cool, Imo. There's new modeling amps out and great guitars. I totally agree with string spacing for finger picking. I've kind of given up on picks, like Jeff Beck, and enjoy the wider necks, like a classical guitar. Seems like most electrics don't have wide enough string spacing,,,,,imo.

Anyway, start a collection. I have a few, Fenders and Gibsons I like best. Only one steel string acoustic Epiphone. All others electric and classical. That small body Loar sounds good.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I'm not interested in electric anymore. And something about the sound, even at low volume, just bothers my ears. I even had to give up some acoustic instruments. My T is so bad I can barely tolerate acoustic. Screwed up, huh?

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Do you have hypercausis along with your T or is it just that you get spikes with any loud noise your around?

6. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Congrats! Loar seems like a very nice brand. I am afraid you've already sold that dobro in your profile pic, no? ;)

7. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Hey guys my name is Andrew I'm from Gladstone Queensland Australia and well I read this and musicians came to my eyes I have only just gotten my T so I'm still adjusting to it and well struggle struggle but I'm hear to make friends aswell . As for guitars ohhhh my come to Gladstone and you can try any of mine you want I have a maton messiah 98 model also a gibson dove deering banjo tim kill weissenborn a fender customshop tele and gibson dot ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397458667.165325.jpg .

8. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Hi there! You have a nice collection of instruments. I spend my evenings wit Flatiron mandolin, a Korean made Fender-stamped irish bouzouki and a surprisingly ok Chinese made Martin rippoff, Blueridge dreadnaught acoustic gtr. My electrics have been collecting dust lately, got bored playing Star spangled banner before full stacks;) As for your current situation, give it time. At first it is not easy at all, but eventually you will be okay!

9. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Thanks jtp how long have you had t for ? Blue ridges are pretty nice guitars

10. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      I suggest if you guys are in the market and have some money to splash get the gibson dove :) they are truelly ear candy

11. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Hi Andrew. I am coming up to my first year in few weeks. I'll have to check the Dove, seems like Elvis had one too:)