Headaches Come with the Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ed T, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Ed T

Ed T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19-Apr-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Greetings,

Started to have bilateral tinnitus last month with unknown cause. The buzzing sound is now bearable but the associated headache is not. The dull headache is at the top of my head and I feel pressure inside my head as well. It affects my daily life more than the sound.

Would the headache become less severe after time? Or need to habitualize as with the sound?

Except high pitched hearing loss, my ENT doctor said I have no major problem. Sigh...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Could be Migraines so keep log how often you have them if need medication.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      My T seems to cause me headaches due to it's frequency. It stands to reason. I'm going to discuss this with my audiologist and won't let myself be brushed off yet again.

4. TinnitoToto
      Buzzed

TinnitoToto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Me too I have the same symptoms the headaches started with my tinnitus, never suffered from headaches before,
      I hope someone could shed some light on this, I get them when it's loud, when the T is bearable I don't have a headache

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have head pressures almost daily. Many things can affect this and cause it. I do have allergies/sinus issues as well.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed T

Ed T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19-Apr-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure whether it is related. I found a Chinese chiropractor to adjust my neck and back for more than a month since I got tinnitus. Though tinnitus is still there, the headache is mostly gone...at least I feel I can operate normally most of the time.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed T

Ed T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19-Apr-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      An update after more than a year with Tinnitus:
      Habitualization is real. At the beginning, the sounds was so annoying that I couldn't even sleep well and I was doubtful how it could possibly be habitualized. But now, though the sound is still there, I barely notice it unless I pay attention to it (such as now). Human body is flexible indeed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am pleased that you have habituated. You do not say what caused your tinnitus? I advise you not to use headphones even at low volume and keep away from overly loud sounds. Habituation is indeed real. However, please remember that tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. On the positive front most people eventually learn to habituate and are able to carry on with their lives doing everything that they want to without too much of a problem.

There is another side to tinnitus that some people do not like to talk about and it's quite serious. While habituation is real, it also has its limitations. As previously mentioned, tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. If tinnitus becomes loud and intrusive and this level of intensity is sustained, even if one has intermittent periods where the intensity reduces, it can become seriously debilitating and a person may find it difficult or not possible to habituate because of the psychological impact it has on their mental well-being. It is for this reason it's vitally important, that a person with tinnitus, particularly if it was "noise induced" be mindful when around loud sounds and be careful if using headphones by keeping the volume low. Better still don't use them at all.

Tinnitus can be ruthless and very unforgiving and one must try not to forget that.
      I wish you well.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed T

Ed T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19-Apr-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, thanks for the advice.

11. Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      @Ed T Great news about habituation and your headaches. Great inspiration! Thank you. I have neck pain and terrible headaches since T started (only 2 weeks ago - im new) Were you concerned the chiropractor would make the T worse? Also, any habituation tips? How long before it started to get easier (Im in a bad place at the moment) And what did you take for the headaches that did not spike your T? Thank you!

12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work