Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Oct 23, 2012.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello AfroSnowman. Mine seems to be around 4 kHz. Not sure if it would work for yourself. Good luck.

2. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I have a mild hearing loss on my right and a mild to moderate hearing loss on my left. I have had a left-handed hearing aid for over a year, but without seeing any change in the noise, I left it a few months ago.

About 3 weeks ago I was called to come with it for a regular check. At that time the hearing care professional set it up again, and surprisingly, after putting it on, the noise was much 'lighter'. I immediately thought about buying a second hearing aid - for my right ear. But first I wanted to test it and for a week I tested the second instrument. It was much better; the noise from the right ear was completely suppressed. I gave it back a week ago and still wear the left one every day, but it doesn't make any difference to the noise - with or without it they are the same. Last year, when I bought a hearing aid, I was also satisfied at first, but it passed quickly - it's as if my brain would detect it being cheated.

Therefore, I do not know what to do. Buy a second hearing aid or not.

3. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Rafalek73

Hello.
      Like you, I too have mild hearing loss in my right ear and mild to moderate hearing loss in my left. I just got my first set of hearing aids.

You mentioned you have a hearing aid for the left and when you tested again, the noise in your right ear was completely suppressed. Does this mean you have Tinnitus in both ears?

My audiologist recommended I get two even though the second one was not really needed for hearing loss.
      If you check out the website below, or even just an internet search ….there are some compelling reasons to have two aids.

You mentioned you were satisfied at first when you got your hearing aids but it passed quickly.
      So having mentioned benefits to having two hearing aids, I just got my hearing aids about a week ago....the jury is still out ……..

https://advancedhearing.com/blog/why-are-two-hearing-aids-better-one

Cheers!:)

4. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      @LindaS
      Do you feel better wearing hearing aids? Your tinnitus gets better, worse or no change?

5. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Rafalek73

Hi

Thanks for asking.

Still not sure on the hearing aids. I can still hear my tinnius even with them in. If I turn the hearing volume up to full max, it does make the sound somewhat less noticeable (still there though) but everything else is too loud for me to leave the volume there.
      Right now, the aids are not set to my full hearing loss as the audiologist said hearing aids take some getting used to. She likes to take her time in adjusting them so people don't find it too overwhelming all at once.
      Not sure if it will make a difference but still hoping

They are "Widex Moment" with the Zen program.
      Apparently, if you believe the hype, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and can do all kinds of wonderful things (except laundry and pour me a drink). :beeranimation: (had to throw in some humor so I could use the beer buddies.....)

Okay, back to seriousness... I have found at times, that the chimes sound of the Zen program can somewhat distract me from the tinnitus noise (not for very long though) if my tinnitus is very quiet. Today, I found the sound irritating because my ear was screaming.

I have a ninety day trial on the aids so will have to see what happens. My audiologist said if hearing loss is not corrected, the rest of one's hearing will decline faster. So, if that's true, I may have to resign myself to hearing aids even if they do nothing for the tinnitus.

Do you have tinnitus just in the left ear? Does it fluctuate?

I thought it was getting better. I had a few good days in a row when the frequency noise and the volume went down.
      I thought if it could stay like this I could get used to it but then WHAM, blaring tinnitus happens once again.

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      Of course it does. Happens to me too.

7. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      @LindaS Thanks for your answer.

I have tinnitus in both ears, but in the left it is much louder.

Yes, my tinnitus is changing and this is the worst. However, when I had two hearing aids, definitely tinnitus was much more acceptable, and sometimes even imperceptible.

That's why I'm going to buy a second hearing aid tomorrow.