Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blackneq, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Blackneq

Blackneq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, im Nikola, nice to meet u all!

First of all sorry about the broken english.

Guess ill start my story from the beginning.

I'm attending one of the hardest colleges in my country, and i'm what u call a "forever student".But the last year has been really good, i gave it my best, worked hard and am almost at the finish line.

My problem was focusing, and like many i found music helps with that(what a mistake that was) so i used my headphones for a good 5 straight months studying up to 12h a day, my focus was so good i couldn't tell you the name of the song if u asked me at a random moment.

Finally i pass all the subjects, felt so proud, could make the family proud for the first time in quite some time.
      After my last exam i had that feeling of a fucking mountain getting off of my back(id trade this for T any day of the week haha, man fuck hindsight).

Couple of days after that my left ear gets clogged, didn't think much of it because it happened every couple of months, i just did what i always do, put some 3 percent hydro-whatever but it wasn't enough this time. I'm still not worried at this point, i thought i can just go to the doctors and have my ears washed(not sure what this is called in english but its just a huge syringe with some warm water cleaning the mucus).

That all happened on saturday, the next day i get the this high-pitched sound i later googled to be Tinnitus.The day after that i went and had my ears washed, thought that will solve the problem, but yea here i am.

That was a week ago, i read like a hundred threads on this forum, quite scary must say.The most infuriating thing is my dad has had it for like 3 years, he's just really brave and didn't make a huge deal out of it, i could have learned about T and taken better care of my ears but i just shrugged it of as "its just a sound". What a humbling experience.

Couple of questions for u guys:
      1) How long should i wait before i call it a chronic T and stop "hoping" it will go away(damn negative feedback loop of letting go and expecting it to end)?

2) If it doesn't go away how long did it take u guys to get used to it?

Thanks for having me!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Blackneq
      Hello Blackneq,

I advise you to stop listening to music through headphones as it's one of the most common causes of tinnitus. It would be a good idea to see your doctor about this. I have written an article that you might find helpful: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Please click on the link below.

I would like to give you a little advice since English isn't your first language. Please try not to use swear words in writing or when speaking to someone. It can give the impression that you were not brought up well and don't know how to be respectful to others. Swear words look very ugly in writing.

I wish you well
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blackneq

Blackneq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, thanks for replaying, i will pay attention to my language, did not mean for it to come off as rude.Guess you are right its hard to convey tone through text.

Will read the article right now.
      About the headphones, when im listening to T maskers, should i use headphones or not?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi.
      I was just saying: when writing it is much better not to use swear words. I advise you not to use headphones ever again even at low volume. That is just my opinion. In my article I have discussed tinnitus maskers/white noise generators and hope you find it helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blackneq

Blackneq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just a quick update, i believe the volume has decreased, maybe its just me recovering from the initial shock.Either way even if it does not improve further i think i can function almost normally with the way it is now, so ill consider myself lucky and take it as a sign to change some things in my life and definitely spread awareness about T, maybe save some of my friends the trouble of experiencing it themselves.

Hopefully i wont have to eat my words later tonight, just thought you guys might appreciate some good news.

• Like Like x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Great to hear your tinnitus is settling down.
      Tinnitus over 6 months is more likely to stay so you might be one of the lucky ones and it go away.
      Hope you read and took in the advice off @Michael Leigh and protect your ears.....lots of love glynis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blackneq

Blackneq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Had a little episode in the afternoon, but it lasted for a little while, its like if i'm not in a good mood it just takes over.Mind is a beautiful and a terrifying thing, at least we don't have to worry about AI for a 100 years.

• Like Like x 1