Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MihaiMacarie, May 19, 2018.

1. MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably loud sounds, mixed with TMJ
      Hi! In late last February, I was at a death metal concert ("of course": no ear plugs cause i wasn't so experienced with concerts. Moreover, in my country of origin i didn't see anyone using them, but when I moved to the Netherlands, i could see a lot of people using them ) and since then I got tinnitus in the left ear (I also have a little little bit in the right one). At first, I thought it can be also influenced by the cold which i was having at that time, but that was rulled out because I was given OTC nose sprays and those didn't work. Also, I've thought that I may have sone Eustachian tube disfuction since when I've travelling by plane, the left ear (just that ear) starts hurting during landing, but ENT kind of rulled out this

When I got to the ENT, I was made a audiogram. There is picture of my audiogram:

At the moment, I'm thinking about another cause which may has induced/amplify my tinnitus just in the left ear and I will also investigate this theory. Since I've read about TMJ thingy, I realized that it could a influencing factor because I have some issues with my mandible(it's underdeveloped) and it causes sometimes joint blocks or tension in the left side. I'm wondering if actually my tinnitus is because of hearing loss or some TMJ-thing occured after the concert (triggered by headbagging or smth like that during the concert). It seems that there is a slight change in my T if i move my head, but I'm afraid that it's just some placebo effect.

2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Welcome to the forums!

Your audiogram looks fine unless I am missing something. What I do not see on the audiogram is your OAE results.

It's very normal that moving your head causes T to modulate. It's somatic. 3/4 of T suffers have some form of it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What about the TMJ? Or explanations why it could 99,9% more very noticeable just in the left ear?

4. AngelZ
      Shitfaced

AngelZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That little dip is the cause of your T, in other words NOISEEE.
      Do some HF hearing test (up to 20kHz), you'll be amazed!
      And no more death metal I guess... I prefere now Classical music

5. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      That dip is under the 25 range which is normal. The OAE should provide more data on the specific frequency.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So should I search for one place where they can do such kind of audiogram?

Also, I forgot to mention that sometimes I get pain/clogged ear sensation in that ear. Is that also because of tinnitus?

7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I'd give anything to have your hearing again :)

Can we trade audiograms? (y)

Welcome to the forum BTW.....

• Like Like x 2
    8. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Your local hospital system can get you an appointment with an audiologist. You could also ask your ENT as they usually work together.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have an apointment with my GP in two weeks cause there in Netherlands, you can't do anything without GP

• Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @MihaiMacarie Head bagging can cause the mandible to tighten and that can cause tinnitus especially if your mandibles are underdeveloped. Try exercise - The Slinky Series in link. Breathe in thru nose and exhale thru mouth. If this helps to lower your tinnitus at all, then this is it.

https://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/face-grace

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Actually I was preparing to ask the question if head bagging can cause this kind of things. So I could just get tinnitus in my case just from head bagging? I felt the tinnitus immediately when I got home after the concert.

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think the simplest explanation applies: you went to a concert, didn't use ear plugs, and got T right after, and it stuck. Then your audiogram shows a slight notch at 2 kHz, which isn't uncommon after noise injury. Your T is most likely due to the acoustic trauma's damage to your ears with the resulting hearing loss.

Take care of your ears (rest them!) and let's hope your threshold shift is temporary, and that your T will fade away with time - it has a reasonable chance to do so.

Changing pitch/volume when moving the head/jaw is very common among T sufferers.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @MihaiMacarie Any type of trauma to the head can cause hearing loss. I had whiplash over a year ago and my mandibles and TMJ joints are very active among many other things, including my neck. I read over 2000 articles on the subject of head, jaw and neck tinnitus and it's important to try some therapy and ice at least for the sake of your jaw.

The question that no one can answer is how much per sensory physical conditions can associate with an individual's hearing loss. I didn't get added hearing loss from my whiplash tinnitus. My hearing before was quite similar to yours. It's possible that the therapy I have given you may help to lower your tinnitus. If not, it might help your mandibles and/or stop any sensory involvement. Look at numbers in link.

http://www.bigsportsmed.com/Auto_injury_patient_tmj_connection.php

Last edited: May 20, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: I've been to GP and I got referral for physiotherapist. So the cause is mostly acoustic trauma, but it may be amplified by TMJ issues.

15. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      @MihaiMacarie , @AngelZ
      Do you think above 8 kHz there are losses and they are more likely to give tinnitus?

I do not quite agree - here on the audiogram the classic picture of acute acoustic trauma (minimal) and almost insignificant.

Did Lor prescribes corticosteroids during treatment?

The standard frequency, the first one struck by the sound effect, is the 4 kHz region.

There is a very slight failure. You will soon get accustomed to it and forget about it. In the future wear earplugs in high places.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MihaiMacarie
      Nerdy

MihaiMacarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't got any corticosteroids. So there are chances that it will go away?