High-Pitched, Distorted, Metallic Screech When I Speak

Discussion in 'Support' started by VTae, Sep 20, 2022.

1. VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ultrasonic dental cleaning
      When I speak, I can hear a high-pitched, distorted, metallic screech on the back of my head. It is hard to explain what it sounds like, but it is as if you were rubbing grains of sand on an iron pan. It seems to be located behind my mouth, and it follows the rhythm of my speech.

Since I've never heard anyone describing such a thing before, I wonder if anyone else relates with this sensation, or if this is something unique to my tinnitus in particular?

2. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      No, never heard of that. I suppose your voice box is generating resonance which is travelling through your skull into your inner ear and creating this effect.

Have you been to the doctor?

Do you hear anything in your ears when you are not talking? I mean tinnitus sounds?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I hear high-pitched (~15000 Hz) tinnitus 24/7. My tinnitus started after a dental cleaning procedure. I just noticed that, when I speak, I can hear these high pitched, very quick spikes.

Also, my tinnitus is really weird right now; it is on for 1 second, off for 1 second, repeat. It isn't in sync with my heartbeat, it is just turning on and off randomly. It wasn't like that before. I have no idea what is going on.

I really wish we had better exams to inspect what is happening with our ears and nerves. Shit is really strange. I don't think I have the same tinnitus as most here, since I never listen to loud music, don't use any kind of drugs, haven't had any trauma or infection I can directly point as the cause. All I know is it is probably related to the dental cleaning procedure, which was very brute, un-hygienic, painful to my jaw, and used ultrasound... but that's all.

It also seems like I tested positive for Meniere's disease. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you get dizziness or vertigo?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been feeling dizzy on my bed in the last ~5 days, so I guess yes, but it isn't very strongly noticeable since I don't walk around a lot. I spend 95% of the day lying down, using the notebook, playing, coding, etc. The thing is, if the cause of my current tinnitus was Meniere's, why did it start suddenly after that dental cleaning? I was completely fine the day before, and the next day I had this loud ringing that didn't let me sleep for 4 whole days. Meniere's has a slow progression, and the first complaint is usually dizziness, not tinnitus. So all in all this is really weird and atypical.

6. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the dizziness would be such that it would mean you have trouble maintaining your balance. If that is the case - it could be Meniere's. I understand that roaring tinnitus is more common with Meniere's but not always.

95% on your bed is not good. You need exercise or your muscles will waste away.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I know. I will...

8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @VTae, tinnitus from ultrasonic scaling mostly happens from the upper molars being cleaned. This can also activate facial nerves.

Prednisone may help for any hearing loss. A half tablet of Magnesium and NAC twice a day may also help - along with vitamin B12.

Consider soft foods for a while and chew slowly. I wouldn't chew foods that make noise, such as nuts.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. 10Kcd

10Kcd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      When I first experienced acoustic trauma, for a couple of days afterward, whenever I spoke, I heard what I could only describe as a "cloud of frequency" blooming around my voice, as well as the voices of other people. After a those initial days, it subsided, and I only catch a glimpse of it if I sing loudly and at certain frequencies.

My description doesn't align exactly with yours, but my acoustic trauma only impacted my left side, so I imagine that if it had impacted both ears, I might've been hearing that cloud of frequency more from the back of my head, as you describe.

I'll be curious to see if this symptom subsides or for you. It sounds like, between the dental procedure and the Meniere's diagnosis, there's plenty of reason for your auditory system to be wonky, and I wish you quick relief.

10. annalena

annalena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music, stress
      But is Meniere's disease really connected to feeling a bit dizzy? I thought the vertigo experienced with Meniere's was rather an attack with severe vertigo lasting for up to 24 hours.

I also have tinnitus that is not a constant sound and rather a sound pattern with interruptions of a couple of seconds. High-pitched and very annoying.

And I'm familiar with dizziness but above all after certain movements. This occurs more often when my ear crystals are in a wrong place. It is possible that this happened to you at the dentist? I just wonder because this happened to a family member. It was because his head was in such an unusual position. There are exercises with which you can find out if you have positional vertigo and they also help you to get rid of it. For example Epley maneuver.

Best wishes.

11. MaxRabbit

MaxRabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft, NOISE, Anxiety, EARBUDS.
      I have metal robot voice sounds when I speak too long or loud, but it's constant every second I have earplugs in.

12. 10Kcd

10Kcd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @MaxRabbit - I've been experiencing something similar. I hear it at certain frequencies when I speak, but a lot more often if I have earplugs in.

I asked on another thread if anyone else has experienced this, and what the issue might be. I'm assuming it's simply related to damage related to the cochlear hair cells, but wonder about a possible relationship to bone conduction due to earplugs making it worse.

Do you have any insight or thoughts about your metal robot voice symptom?

13. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Did you get any responses to this? I am having similar symptoms.

14. MartinPihl

MartinPihl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Has your situation improved? I'm experiencing the same since this morning. Ugh, this condition just never improves permanently. It's always 3 steps forward and 3 steps back...

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Yes, my doctor gave me antibiotics and a round of steroids. It helped and I also stay on top of taking antihistamines when I feel fluid in my ears. I try to limit my dairy intake. All have helped. Best to you!

• Like Like x 1