Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @Tweedleman Nah take handfuls. Just bench a ton to prevent man-boobs.

2. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      Sounds like you you might have hidden hearing loss. It could be either. As I understand it the primary cause is believed to be in the nerve ending, however, it can be aggravated by damaged hair cells.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That sure helps! That's why we are piloting a proof-of-concept study to show pharma companies that there is a model that can objectively test tinnitus. It is one of the major hurdles in getting drugs approved for the indication of tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are most welcome. We are in this together, at various degrees. I really enjoy your company.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mid 2020's not mid 2020, as in 2025/2026 if everything goes as planned.

6. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! I know plenty of researchers that care about this issue, both here at HEI and elsewhere in the US. I think the main issue you will find is money and influence. The ATA is good but they are limited.

Think about it. Breast cancer kills people. As a result, people who are affected and their loved ones too - all get behind supporting research. The push behind it is so strong that there is essentially a lobby behind it.

The challenge we face is coming together and becoming a financial force. I'm speaking now as a tinnitus sufferer, and someone with mild hearing loss, not as an HEI employee. I used to give to about 5-6 charities with various missions. Now, I only give to faith-based organizations like my church and to hearing loss/tinnitus research. Last year, was the first year we gave more to health research than faith-based organizations.

Until those who suffer can come together financially to help become a "big kid on the block" - it is going to be very scrappy to get the research done. Good thing is that I am very scrappy:)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great points. I'm very excited about our research but others as well. That increases the odds that a solution will make it past the goal line.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand your frustration and thoughts here, but one thing to keep in mind is that the government generally only funds initial and early clinical research. The government can help advance more research that was and allow labs to focus on the most promising research results and attract private investment for commercialization. The government take s a broad approach, had they not and applied a standard to what is funded I doubt any hearing loss or tinnitus research would make the cut.

9. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is why we need to show proof to pharma companies that tinnitus can be objectively measured. This will open the flood gates of research into tinnitus treatments specifically!

10. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the shout out. Rick is one of the best bosses I've worked for and it is his personal mission that all who have ears, will hear! (If they want to:) )

11. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! We would love to have many more people like those at Hough! It's a great team on a mission collectively to help people!

12. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd love to give you one! Hopefully in a few years :) !

13. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It may be helpful for chronic tinnitus too. It appears to be so in animal models - now we just need to come up with a means of objectively measuring tinnitus in humans so we can move forward with a Phase II for the indication if tinnitus, both acute and chronic!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We would love to have tinnitus, ototoxicity, and a few other indications tested as well! The proof of concept study will be on animals first, but if it shows promise it can then be used in Phase II clinical study for tinnitus!

• Like Like x 2
    15. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We are seeking approval from the FDA first. Once that is given, then we can work in other markets for approval. I wish this wasn't the case though.

16. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It doesn't quite work the way you think - thank God! The plan is to have Phase II start this year. That will take 1-2 years. Phase III will start after that. Since Oblato has agreed to take the pill through the remaining (Phase II and III) clinical trials - there shouldn't be the same kind of delay as between Phase I and II - which was based on funding. In other words, the remaining clinical trials have been funded.

The caveat to that is that Oblato is going to seek the indication(s) that are the most promising to get to the market. So Cochlear Implant Trauma is one of those, ototoxicity is another one. Tinnitus might be if we can get this proof of concept study going. They are interested in it for sure!

• Like Like x 1
    17. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand the frustration but we are talking about the difference between a life-threatening infectious virus that has swept the entire globe versus tinnitus. I don't try to discredit our sufferings, but it is understandable that these things would get fast-tracked. Plus, as I understand it, researching virus, treatments, and vaccines is a lot simpler than most other pharmacological research, especially our at HEI.

I agree it is frustrating. With all the lockdowns, people are getting a glimpse into our lives that we live and have lived for years. Hopefully, this will create some empathy and maybe some changes in the way we get drugs approved!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So far, it won't. Doesn't look like it will slow the research down. However, and this is a big caveat: We are a non-profit and if funding slows down - as is likely with the economic slow down in process - I hope that we can keep the research moving forward at the current pace instead of slowing down.

Looking forward to getting back out there and meeting with people, inviting them to partner with us in this might endeavor to end hearing loss and tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Can you disclose what the model is based on? Is it some form of brain scanning (like qEEG) or do you rather focus on the inner ear itself?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Could you explain why Cochlear Implant Trauma and ototoxicity are the most promising indiciations? Maybe you have said elsewhere, but I've missed it. I'm interested as you were calling it the Bomb Blast Pill originally, so I presumed its most promising indication would be acute hearing loss.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Joly

Joly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatisme sonore
      What is the difference between the Hough Ear Pill and OTO-413? They are both for synapses, one is a pill and the other is an ear injection.

In terms of efficacy, is it the same?

22. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure, they do sound very familiar but without knowing how the compound works and exactly what it is does it is very hard to compare. Additionally, without Phase II clinical results for both any comparison is purely a guess at this point.

23. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do not know. I will check and see what I can share.

24. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It comes down to design. In clinical studies, it is important to be able to measure outcomes objectively. Since tinnitus is primarily subjective - it makes it more difficult to measure. This also makes the design of the study more costly while at the same time putting up more obstacles for a successful conclusion.

Obalto has asked HEI to continue to be a principal investigator in the research so we will continue working on various studies to help get the pill into the clinical and through the remaining clinical studies.

The pill was originally called the bomb blast pill. Primarily I'd say because scientists rarely have a knack for marketing :) and also because that was what we originally were studying. However, unlike most other drug development companies we pursued other possibilities as the data prompted. That when we found that it not only prevented hearing loss if administered within 24 hours of the trauma but would recover hearing as well if administered weeks later after the damage from the trauma had set in. Once again following the data, we thought it might be helpful in tinnitus. So we did studies on animals, a model (that cannot be replicated for humans), and found that it was successful for acute tinnitus and one study that measured chronic tinnitus! Again, following the data, we discovered that the drug also has some amazing effects on the build-up of toxic TAU proteins in the auditory nerve. It stopped it cold. This has implications for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's. ALS, and other neurodegenerative diseases.

The short answer is that it all comes down to research design that can control variables and be measured objectively.

• Informative Informative x 2
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Thanks for the answer.

So can the pill repair damage to the auditory nerve in any way so it can become fully functioning again as if it were new?

26. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but suspect noise-induced
      I would just like to say a massive thank you for coming on here and patiently answering all our queries. It's really heartening to see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. BBakkers
      Tired

BBakkers Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2011, Spike 2019, Spike 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1e Loud Music, 2e earwax irrigation, 3e padel tennis
      @Justin De Moss

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions really helpfull! Have a good day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The pill we are working on not only reconnects the inner hair cells to the auditory nerve but does so in a meaningful way. I'll try to find the research paper that showed the number of meaningful nerve connections made. There are three great pics that show a normal synapse, then one that has been damaged, then a third that received treatment. The one that received treatment has more nerve connections than the normal one!

This means hearing loss prevention, hearing recovery, better hearing acuity, and treatment/cure for tinnitus!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are most welcome! I suffer too, so while it is my job to care and help put a voice to people's values - this is very personal for me!

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      @Justin De Moss

Let's say if I were to get a treatment for FX-322, and it didn't help my tinnitus, would I still be able to get the Hough Ear Pill and could it help me?