Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      No, it has not been submitted for publication. The pill has shown to regenerate meaningful nerve connections between the auditory nerve and the cochlea. Since that is one of the prevailing theories for the "cause" of tinnitus we ran several pre-clinical trials to test it. We had great results and data. That is why the DoD got behind us and supported us with a $1.9M grant to advance the technology through Phase I (which is rare for the government) and we were the only org to get funded out of 73 applicants I believe.

As far as seeing is believing - not really. I believe there is oxygen in the room but I can't see it. I believe in Great White sharks, but I have never seen one. I believe antibiotics made me better, but I didn't see them make me better. I believe my children and wife love me, but I can't see that.

I get where you are coming from. You are skeptical. My question to you is why are you skeptical? Is it because you have don't have a healthy understanding of what science is? Is it because you believe essential oils would cure cancer and it didn't? Did you believe that Vitamin C would keep you from getting sick and then got sick?

Lots of claims are made out there, especially regarding tinnitus. But if you lump scientific research and data that support it into the same level as essential oils, vitamins, foods, etc. as a cure for whatever - then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment and your perception is NOT rooted in reality. Keep your negativity away - it just isn't necessary or productive. IMHO.

• Like Like x 5
    2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I am not trying to be actively negative.

It's just that there have been so many hopeful drugs and trials in the last 10 years and all of them have failed miserably.

I, more than anybody, would give both my legs to cure tinnitus for the whole world, to be free of this thundering phantom noise.

Your analogies, although interesting, are perhaps a little misguided... for example I do not agree that you don't "see" your family's love... does your wife kiss you passionately? Do your children's eyes light up when they see you come home after work? That my friend is love.

Oxygen... well I am not dead therefore I am 100% sure oxygen is there...

Sharks... there have been many studies on sharks and it's well documented that the Great White Shark does exist...

Antibiotics... have undergone many trials and are proven that they work.

If you remember Autifony Therapeutics big fail a couple years ago, I believe they had many investors as well... in the millions of British Pounds.
      I believe they were the only company in history to get to phase 3 trials in tinnitus.
      They are now "reformulating" their useless drug.

Why am I skeptical...?
      Every person should be skeptical at least until a company publishes its results, especially with one of the most poorly understood disorder known to man.

Would you not agree that any explanation as to the cause of tinnitus by leading world scientists, are still theories, no matter what... So if we don't even know for certain what causes tinnitus, we need to be very guarded about any claims for cures, especially while publications haven't been released.

All we have to go on is your word that Hough Ear Institute had excellent results and had great interest from the DoD. I never lump scientific data with essential oils, but we have not seen any data out of Hough yet.

Hopefully soon! Until then we have faith in you as we have faith in Jesus.

I truly hope and pray for a cure soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I'd suggest and hope that 15 dB decrease is a conservative choice of estimation. It actually could end up being more. We will need to wait until the results though.

4. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Have you read the online documents/publications about them and their projects? I think they're very compelling and hopeful. It might be good to read them. The Tinnitus Talk Podcast episode too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I don't want to read aboutthem, I want to read from them...

But, sooner or later they will need to publish something i.e. research/experimental findings, trial results, etc.

Either that or lose some credibility.

That said, I am grateful for any interest in curing/treating our affliction.
      50 years ago there was exactly zero interest/ research or even acknowledgement of the existence of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      If this is the real deal, I would think $435K would be easy to get from an investor.
      If somebody comes up with a pill tomorrow that cures tinnitus, they will be a multi billionaire.
      Purportedly 50 million Americans have some form of tinnitus.

Let's say 1/5 of those people pay for the pill and theoretically you need to take 365 pills a year at $2.25 per pill.

10,000,000 people X 365 X $2.25 = $8,212,500,000 (that's just the USA).
      FYI, I'd pay more than $2.25 a pill for a 15dB reduction.
      I'd pay 15 bucks a pill, I'm just using conservative numbers.

@Justin De Moss you and your buddies enjoy your yachts and getting blown in your Lamborghinis if this works. Yes, I know you are a non-profit, that means you can solve world hunger with the proceeds. FYI, if you can cure my tinnitus, I will personally give you a blow job for free, and I like girls.

Anyway, I urge you all to donate if you can, any amount helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Lol. Chaotic good.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    8. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      If enough money is raised will people with tinnitus be able to participate in the phase 2 trial?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I don't get it...

10. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      Hey, I think I read somewhere in here your tinnitus recently increased significantly. Hang in there, and thanks for participating here, it's uncommon and we appreciate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      $435K? No wait it's $135K, actually it's more like $67.5K... ah what the heck make it an even $300K.

20200619_222637.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    12. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I don't see inconsistency in the numbers. Justin said after receiving $300k HEI still needs $135k, but he is confident to get a half of it from one of their donors. His post can be perceived as chaotic but if you read diligently there is logic in the numbers.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    14. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also don't see anything inconsistent in the numbers in Justin's post. Re-read like 3 times and it's fine. Much ado about nothing?

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      $67.5K is all that is standing between us and the CURE? Really...

Why won't Oblato pick up the tab? I mean they just bought the rights to the pill?
      It's a very big Korean pharma.

But even so, I listened to the Tinnitus Talk Podcast and everything about this magic antioxidant sounds shady, and their argument is iffy at most... I could feel the insecurity and doubt in their voice.

At most it's just a stronger NAC.

Huge pharma companies failed to crack tinnitus, now this non-profit Salvation Army type co is going to rock the tinnitus world with a drug that is "more than just an antioxidant"??? Give me a break folks.

Fat chance.

NAC by itself has already been shown in DoD studies that it stops neural degeneration in the ACUTE phase.

Was anybody on this forum cured by NAC??? Did any loud tinnitus of more than 6 months cured or helped by NAC??? NO.

Oh but wait! It only works when combined with that other thing LOL.

God, we tinnitus people will believe any new snake oil.

Donate to Dr. Thanos Tzounopoulos.

We KNOW Retigabine worked for many of us here, but it's F''ing dangerous.
      Thanos has made it SAFE.

Why are you buying these charlatans with their magic NAC pill???

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hate to break it to ya, it's not the real deal.
      But wait, they only need $67.5K lol.

Let's all donate today so Justin can put all his 9 children through college.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Killer
      Lurking

Killer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      auditory-neurons-jpg-768x275.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I do believe Oblato should have picked up the tab to test for tinnitus in the clinical trials. Imagine if it does end up curing tinnitus Oblato would have made so much money from their investment.

19. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      For SURE Oblato should have picked up the tab. Funniest thing is Oblato owns the rights to the drug.

So this huge pharma company Oblato is asking Hough to foot the bill for the tinnitus test part but in the end if it is effective for tinnitus, Oblato makes the big bucks.

Or am I mistaken?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Exactly my concern lol
      Something smells fishy lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You know, I can Photoshop you ganglion growth out of a corpse...

22. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It’s quite unusual for Oblato to not test tinnitus in their clinical trials but ask investors to foot the bill instead.

Why did Oblato decide to invest in the drug but not test for tinnitus? Did they think the pill was only useful for protecting hearing?

23. Killer
      Lurking

Killer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would be very illegal to do so when they're trying to get it through the FDA.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This totally. There is no way they could lie like that without consequences.

25. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Did you get a copy of their FDA application? If so, was this diagram included?

Also, the HPN-07 antioxidant was already in an FDA approved phase 3 trial for stroke and failed... so it's not like it needs to pass safety and much easier to do a spin off trial... as long as you can fork out the cash to the FDA.

I'm not even talking about NAC which is available at your local health food store.

Dear brothers and sisters, an antioxidant cannot regenerate a nerve cell, it's an antioxidant.
      Its biological function is to stop reactive oxygen species from killing a cell.

Hence the name antiOXIdant.

Dr. Kopke said it's more than just an antioxidant... hmmm really does it give you wings like Red Bull?

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dan, $67K does not bring the cure. It's for a proof of concept study which will objectively test the drug's effect on tinnitus. This is important because, if it fails, this still will provide the objective testing of tinnitus itself, which other drug researchers can then apply.

Yes, that sounds vague. I hope Justin will chime in with more specifics on this proof of concept study. In the meantime, stop being a prick. I'm tired and going through a lot of anguish.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Nothing is proven until it's published in a peer reviewed scientific journal.

Do you believe the Monsanto funded experiments showing GMO are 100% safe? You find me 1 independent peer reviewed study on GMO safety. You won't find any.

Justin just admitted they have not published their data.

Korean "investor" buying the rights... no publications... Hough asking tinnits sufferers for money on a tinnitus forum... Too many red flags.

Congratulations Oblato, you just bought the rights for two antioxidants.

When @Hazel asked Hough on the Tinnitus Talk Podcast if we take Vitamin C + Astaxanthin, would we get the same benefit, that really stumped them - probably not they said, or they don't think so in an unsure tone... along those lines.

Really??? Let's ask Dr. Thanos Tzounopoulos if RL-81 is the same as vitamin C... I think he will laugh his eyes out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I believe that the US drug rights are still owned and retained by Hough. I have a feeling that they want to maintain this to stop Oblato from having influence in the US part.

29. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      @Justin De Moss

Hey, just trying to get some clarification. Are you still partners with Otologic Pharmaceutics on the US side? Is there any way they can pay for the $67k to move forward with the proof of concept tinnitus study?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. AnxiouslyWaiting
      No Mood

AnxiouslyWaiting Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety maybe?
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1