Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      I think we started talking with Oblato about 7 years ago give or take. The process takes a while and different cultures approach things differently. The "Asian" culture, in general, tackles things even more methodically and slowly than we do. That said, Oblato has shared with us their desire to get this moving. But like you, I am cautiously optimistic. When they tell us which indication and the protocol for the Phase II trials - then I'll just be optimistic :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Alex,

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

We just got word today that our tinnitus proof of concept study received the grants funds necessary and they were matched. What that means is that we don't need to raise $435,000 anymore. We only need to raise $135,000!!!! Really, because of a generous donor who is willing to match every gift raised for this project - that means we really only need to raise $67,500 in new funds!

Very very doable if the tinnitus community feels strongly enough to make some sacrifice for some real, scientific advancement for treating tinnitus. Not just supporting HEI research but other's as well.

You can find more information here: https://support.houghear.org/hopefortinnitus

Please note that it might take us a while to update the numbers - but we received the $300K so that number will drop appropriately. We are so close! The sooner we can raise that $135,000 the sooner we can get started on the proof of concept study!

Thank you all for your encouragement and support!

Justin De Moss

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We are currently fundraising for a Phase I trial and we are in talks with several venture capital firms that have expressed an interest in financing the Phase I and maybe more clinical trials.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Once the proof of concept study is done, then Phase II studies may be able to be started for the indication of tinnitus. One thing to keep in mind is that we need to understand timelines. For most of us, if we say we will get X done by the end of the week - we do. Sometimes however something comes up and even that gets delayed. One thing I've learned about scientific research is that there are a lot more delays then we like. Primarily because we are suffering and want to see a solution not now, but yesterday or last month!

Phase II could be 1-2 years.

Justin

5. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      FANTASTIC!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Justin De Moss with all due respect, if NAC is 50% your secret and the other one is just another antioxidant, there is no way you are curing tinnitus... sure perhaps immediately following acoustic trauma antioxidants might help recovery... MIGHT.

NAC does fu$k all for severe chronic tinnitus, it's already been anecdotally proven right here on this forum!

Might as well use HPN-07 + Apple juice...

8. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No worries. However, also with all due respect, I'll go with the science and the fact that we just received $300,000 from the state of OK and Oblato, a pharmaceutical company, for a proof of concept study for tinnitus, which includes treating chronic tinnitus. All with the hopes of adding a Phase II clinical study for treating tinnitus. There must be something for NAC and "just another antioxidant" in the data we have already shown to treat tinnitus. :)

• Like Like x 4
    9. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Lol @ the 8 kids. I struggle with 2. Btw, with the 8 kids, I don't think God is solely responsible. Just saying. Now get back to those nappies (diapers)!

10. cjbhab
      Frantic

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts, Sinuses, Ear infection
      I agree. My assumption is that they aren't that stupid though. Going to donate tomorrow.

11. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      I am pretty sure it's far more complicated than that. If it was "just another antioxidant", it would not have to go through these rigorous tests, and it'd be available. I believe them when they say that regenerating the synapse was an accident. If they didn't do that, it would not have been reported, because that wasn't the main goal of their drug. Their intention was to preserve hearing, not regenerate it. Their claim of regenerating 15 dB worth of synaptic based hearing is quite an accomplishment, and sense the synaptic ribbons are apparently a major factor in hidden hearing loss and likely tinnitus, I have optimism in their efforts.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Give it a chance, if it is proven to restore synapses in rodents then there might be something to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Do you have a link to this Hough Ear Institute study where you show that your pill treats tinnitus?

Seeing is believing, no?

14. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I think I might have had a little to do with it. Just a little :)

15. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you. Agreed, rarely do people throw money away when their motive is to generate a profit.

16. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Much better said than me! Thank you.

17. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you!

18. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it has not been submitted for publication. The pill has shown to regenerate meaningful nerve connections between the auditory nerve and the cochlea. Since that is one of the prevailing theories for the "cause" of tinnitus we ran several pre-clinical trials to test it. We had great results and data. That is why the DoD got behind us and supported us with a $1.9M grant to advance the technology through Phase I (which is rare for the government) and we were the only org to get funded out of 73 applicants I believe.

As far as seeing is believing - not really. I believe there is oxygen in the room but I can't see it. I believe in Great White sharks, but I have never seen one. I believe antibiotics made me better, but I didn't see them make me better. I believe my children and wife love me, but I can't see that.

I get where you are coming from. You are skeptical. My question to you is why are you skeptical? Is it because you have don't have a healthy understanding of what science is? Is it because you believe essential oils would cure cancer and it didn't? Did you believe that Vitamin C would keep you from getting sick and then got sick?

Lots of claims are made out there, especially regarding tinnitus. But if you lump scientific research and data that support it into the same level as essential oils, vitamins, foods, etc. as a cure for whatever - then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment and your perception is NOT rooted in reality. Keep your negativity away - it just isn't necessary or productive. IMHO.

• Like Like x 5
    19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I am not trying to be actively negative.

It's just that there have been so many hopeful drugs and trials in the last 10 years and all of them have failed miserably.

I, more than anybody, would give both my legs to cure tinnitus for the whole world, to be free of this thundering phantom noise.

Your analogies, although interesting, are perhaps a little misguided... for example I do not agree that you don't "see" your family's love... does your wife kiss you passionately? Do your children's eyes light up when they see you come home after work? That my friend is love.

Oxygen... well I am not dead therefore I am 100% sure oxygen is there...

Sharks... there have been many studies on sharks and it's well documented that the Great White Shark does exist...

Antibiotics... have undergone many trials and are proven that they work.

If you remember Autifony Therapeutics big fail a couple years ago, I believe they had many investors as well... in the millions of British Pounds.
      I believe they were the only company in history to get to phase 3 trials in tinnitus.
      They are now "reformulating" their useless drug.

Why am I skeptical...?
      Every person should be skeptical at least until a company publishes its results, especially with one of the most poorly understood disorder known to man.

Would you not agree that any explanation as to the cause of tinnitus by leading world scientists, are still theories, no matter what... So if we don't even know for certain what causes tinnitus, we need to be very guarded about any claims for cures, especially while publications haven't been released.

All we have to go on is your word that Hough Ear Institute had excellent results and had great interest from the DoD. I never lump scientific data with essential oils, but we have not seen any data out of Hough yet.

Hopefully soon! Until then we have faith in you as we have faith in Jesus.

I truly hope and pray for a cure soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I'd suggest and hope that 15 dB decrease is a conservative choice of estimation. It actually could end up being more. We will need to wait until the results though.

21. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Have you read the online documents/publications about them and their projects? I think they're very compelling and hopeful. It might be good to read them. The Tinnitus Talk Podcast episode too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I don't want to read aboutthem, I want to read from them...

But, sooner or later they will need to publish something i.e. research/experimental findings, trial results, etc.

Either that or lose some credibility.

That said, I am grateful for any interest in curing/treating our affliction.
      50 years ago there was exactly zero interest/ research or even acknowledgement of the existence of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. cjbhab
      Frantic

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts, Sinuses, Ear infection
      If this is the real deal, I would think $435K would be easy to get from an investor.
      If somebody comes up with a pill tomorrow that cures tinnitus, they will be a multi billionaire.
      Purportedly 50 million Americans have some form of tinnitus.

Let's say 1/5 of those people pay for the pill and theoretically you need to take 365 pills a year at $2.25 per pill.

10,000,000 people X 365 X $2.25 = $8,212,500,000 (that's just the USA).
      FYI, I'd pay more than $2.25 a pill for a 15dB reduction.
      I'd pay 15 bucks a pill, I'm just using conservative numbers.

@Justin De Moss you and your buddies enjoy your yachts and getting blown in your Lamborghinis if this works. Yes, I know you are a non-profit, that means you can solve world hunger with the proceeds. FYI, if you can cure my tinnitus, I will personally give you a blow job for free, and I like girls.

Anyway, I urge you all to donate if you can, any amount helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Lol. Chaotic good.

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    25. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      If enough money is raised will people with tinnitus be able to participate in the phase 2 trial?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I don't get it...

27. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      Hey, I think I read somewhere in here your tinnitus recently increased significantly. Hang in there, and thanks for participating here, it's uncommon and we appreciate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      $435K? No wait it's $135K, actually it's more like $67.5K... ah what the heck make it an even $300K.

20200619_222637.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I don't see inconsistency in the numbers. Justin said after receiving $300k HEI still needs $135k, but he is confident to get a half of it from one of their donors. His post can be perceived as chaotic but if you read diligently there is logic in the numbers.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2