How Can I Calm Down Tinnitus in My Left Ear?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Peter brinkley, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Peter brinkley

Peter brinkley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 yrs ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      How can I calm down tinnitus in my left ear

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Unfortunately, sir, you can't. There isn't any remedy in the world that has been scientifically shown to reliably lessen the volume of tinnitus in sufferers. It's a condition that people simply get used to (habituate to) over time. Some people have had success using methods like CBT (which I used) or TRT. (These both cost money and b/c of that I'd only suggest them in the most severe cases) Otherwise, in general, you simply just go out and live your life. Bad news is that you don't know how long habituation is going to take. It's different for everyone. Good news is that it's cheap.

Good luck,

Eric

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If I want my T to calm down I take a couple of phenergan. This lowers my volume in both ears for about 5 hours. Some people claim that benzos such as diazepam and clonazepam reduce T considerably but are addictive. At the beginning of my T journey a couple of glasses of red wine would considerably reduce intensity (doesn't seem to work so well now).

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. JLugo

JLugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi I have the same issue, tinnitus in the left ear for almost 4-years. 1-month-ago started Neurofeedback treatment which has been helpful. Previously I was trying everything and nothing worked, Neurologist, ENT, MRI, surgery in my nose. Try to look for a NF provider around your area.

5. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Peter,

In my view, the answer is to limit your anxiety to it. It will not kill you. Once your brain accepts this (it will not happen over night), your mind will gradually pay less and less attention to it and ultimately disqualify the noise from getting your attention. You will hear it, but your nervous system will not react to it (ie. no anxiety). Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter brinkley

Peter brinkley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 yrs ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      thank you all

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      How are you today?

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. In order to help advise you, perhaps you can disclose more about what caused your tinnitus? What kind of tone, high or low? How long you have this at the current level of ringing? Have you seen a doctor or ENT for it? Etc., etc.

Generally, if your T is caused by a treatable problem, such as TMJ, ETD, etc, then when the cause is fixed, T can expect to subside or fade over time. If it is from other untreatable cause such as acoustic trauma, then you can do something to manage it better so the perceived loudness can be reduced by some techniques or treatments, such as CBT, TRT, mindfulness. If dietary issue is the reason for the aggravation, then changing diet to stay away from excess salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol, or to avoid gluten, to take some supplements such as magnesium, zinc, iron, D3, B12 etc., these have helped some members.

Masking has also been used to alleviate the efffect of T on the nerves. Soothing nature sounds can both mask the T totally or partially, and for some can help relax the mind so stress level is reduced. Stress, fear and anxiety are bad for T.

The last resort is to use some drugs such as benzo, ADs etc., but they must be taken or phased out with the supervision of your personal doctor to make sure it is safe. These are usually for temporary relief.

9. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Welcome. You've had tinnitus for quite some time, I'm sure that you have some very relevant experience for this site.