How Long for a Cure for Tinnitus? GUESS

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulmanlike, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Wild guesses everybody and and state your reasons.

Time: within 15 years

Reason: more funding, worldwide pandemic , veterans disabilities, increased research, TRI

Additionally, it is so complex and a little pessimistic on the Auris medical site "it seems unlikely there will be a cure for chronic tinnitus" not sure if that's word by word but something like that and they are the company attempting to treat acute.

Still not fully understood what causes tinnitus, it's a phenomenon, many different causes that are not apparently directly related to ear.

What's your view?!

2. Nordland90
      Grumpy

Nordland90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Reason unknown. Perhaps ear syringing.
      Probably around 25-50 years into the future.

• Like Like x 1
    3. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Considering tinnitus as a neurological problem... i suppose scientists gonna have to figure out:

1) how the brain works
      2) map tinnitus in the brain and track down the damaged/malfunctioned parts/regions which produce/sustain the symptom
      3) build the technology/drugs to restore those damages/malfunctions
      3) restore the damage and bring back homeostasis by utilizing the above technology

That said, scientists gonna have to conduct various researches and achieve essential innovations before establishing a universal cure for tinnitus. Curing Alzheimer, Parkinson etc. is possible to come first. They also fall into the neurological category and are more actively researched afflictions. A possible cure of those will mean that neurologists will have unlocked already the required 'mysteries' of the human nervous system.

I suppose a century? :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Hmm my guess 50-100 years, could be twice as much. We do not understand much about the brain yet. And Tinnitus and hearing does not kill to many people so the priority is pretty low, still I highly appreciate any research and effort to prove me wrong, sometimes scientist get a lucky shot, but I highly doubt it.

5. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      It's hard to say honestly, but the military and medical industry are invested now more than ever. There are multiple groups trying to solve multiple problems so hopefully one of them soon makes a breakthrough. I think any of us would accept anything along the lines of hearing restoration or tinnitus silencing as long as it had minimal side effects and was effective. The medical industry is making incredible advances all the time lately.

6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Honestly, I think we all have a better chance of it going away on its own than we do of ever actually seeing a cure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      As said as it sounds @Jkph75 I do not like give people hope that tinnitus will go away, it may does I wish this to anyone but always consider the fact it stays forever ... so do not get disappointed in the first place .. I will give them hope that they can have an amazing great life living with it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Almost 15 years ago people were saying 10-15 years for a cure. But I'm still hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      125 years til tinnitus is cured. 35 years til tinnitus can be reduced 30% for all.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't even care if there isn't a cure, an effective treatment would be nice.
      I mean, there's not "cures" for most conditions, just treatments to lessen the effect of the condition - eg. diabetics have to modify diet and use insulin, we cannot "cure" diabetes, but we can treat it. My mum has glaucoma that would otherwise eventually send her blind. There's no cure, but she can use drops every day to ensure she doesn't lose her sight.
      So yeah, you never know what is round the corner. A treatment or cure could also be "stumbled upon" as researchers study treatments for other conditions, who knows.
      We've already seen responses for some with drugs to treat epilepsy (Trobalt for example), so you just never know what might happen.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    11. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      Not in our lifetimes. The problem is too complex and is not really understood. In spite of the significant amount of research and different approaches tried there is nothing to show beyond failure.

12. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      What actually causes tinnitus isn't known yet. There's still multiple theories and tinnitus is likely the result of brain reprogramming. Since there is nothing in the pipeline for FDA approval that can actually cure tinnitus the bare minimum is at least 10 years. I'm thinking it will take roughly 100 years because it's likely the result of brain reprogramming. Cochlear's implants have 22 channels and they can stimulate the hair cells that were lost. Tinnitus still remains. So I don't think cochlea hair cell regrowth will fix anything.

Maybe tinnitus isn't look at by big pharma because they know it's a losing investment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      You are underestimating the pace of technological evolution. Check out Neuralink for instance, this can go really fast.

8 years.

14. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Treatment to reduce the volume and intrusiveness, within 15 years for sure. There are several promising leads. A complete cure.. Hard to stay.

• Like Like x 2
    16. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      There will have to be a complete paradigm change in medicine before we have a cure for tinnitus. We need to get a handle on how the body can cure itself without active drugs through an understanding of the placebo and nocebo effects. This is unlikely to happen in the near future, maybe in 100 years if we haven't blown the world up by then

17. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I guess the real question is, is a treatment to give even a somewhat decent reduction just as good as cure for most people (it would be for me)? I don't think there's a silver bullet around the corner, never say never, I'm just not putting any money on it.

18. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you fellow supporters think there are any chances for an effective treatment to appear during the next 5 years?
      I am not asking for a cure since from my poor opinion is complex enough to be cured with a single therapy. My hopes are more into a treatment. Lets say a daily pill or shots or whatever.

19. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      I sure hope so, I don't know why I click these threads hoping for positive opinions only to read the grim reality of what most people think.

100+ years, a lifetime, etc.

I'd rather not live with this shit until the day I die.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      My guess is also 100+ years, more likely 200 years. Unless there is a miracle.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes, though 5 years is best-case scenario IMHO. Check the research forum.

You're fun. You've had tinnitus for like 20 days, tops, yet you're already an expert! Keep that positivity, it will certainly help you in your life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      I'm no expect with proper discernment. Let's be real tho, it is something that can clear on its own. So why put money on it?

23. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Military veterans should perhaps speak on the behalf of all of us. These are people that are led into war, if they could in some way perhaps pressure the right people and get a lot of money on finding a cure, it could maybe be sooner rather than later.

24. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      The new retigabine, frequency therapeutics, etc..

There are tons of promising treatments coming down the pipe right now.

I don't care for a cure, a treatment is more than enough. If I can take a pill once a day with minimal side FX and experience a 50% reduction, I personally would consider that as a cure for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      100 to 200 years realistically.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I would like to know why they can not come up with if Lazer treatment ,or go Thur the rough of your month if they cannot get to the inner ear I don't think they try hard enough no funding all politcs.