I Did Serious Stretching and My Tinnitus Increased

Discussion in 'Support' started by PatrickHolmes, Feb 21, 2020.

1. PatrickHolmes

PatrickHolmes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I haven’t had tinnitus to the point where it was just loud. After doing some serious stretching it increased and has been three days of what I would describe as uncomfortable tinnitus. I guess what I’m asking is if anyone knows of increases and decreases? I know they exist, but I have this haunting feeling based on three days of increase it’s here to stay. It was a little different than stretching where I seriously stress all body parts for an hour or so. I have had tinnitus for roughly eight months.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You are probably having a spike. Unfortunately they can take days, weeks, even months to go back to baseline. It's not certain that it's there to stay, but takes time to resolve.

3. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      From what I've read, spikes can last a while. Three days is not much based on other stories, it may still go back down! That said, my tinnitus definitely increases/decreases by doing neck/back stretches and adjustments. If you've noticed a change in tones and loudness before, especially when adjusting your neck or pressing parts of your face etc, it may be worth looking into. That's what I'm going to do as well.

Good luck though! Try to take it easy and don't think about it too much. Do something that distracts you and masks the sound a little, hopefully it'll be back to 'normal' soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      My tinnitus is neck-induced, and stretching got me a lot of relief in the long term. I've had quite a few spikes after stretching exercises as well, though they usually did not last for more than a few hours: and the intensity of spikes reduced with every passing week.

Perhaps a muscle got overstretched? My advice would be to avoid any new stretches until your spike passes, and then gradually start doing it again. Monitor the impact of every stretch, and see if it changes over time.

5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What did you stretched? Your neck?
      All spikes are different...some resolve in a few minutes/days and others take months.
      I stretched my neck and got a spike and pain that lasted me months and months but it resolved.
      Good luck.

6. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      Maybe go and see the chiropractor? If stretching affects your tinnitus then maybe that means you have found at least some of what’s causing it? (n)

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      It may be that your tinnitus developed by injury to your C spine causing unbalance such as from hitting your head. So with that and any bad posture, stretching affected your C spine more, which may have also stressed something else. Most likely with influence to nerves. Stand straight in front of a wall mirror to see if one shoulder is lower than the other. If so, then consider talking to your GP for radiological testing, including X Rays. From noted radiological results, light therapy treatments may help not only with your spike, but also with the milder tinnitus that you had for months. Your spike may just go away on it's own, but if there's neck issues, it would be best to investigate.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Spikes (temporary increases) are known to last for weeks, even months sometimes. I had one which lasted for 21 days after smoking cannabis (never touching that again). Another one that lasted for 10 days after stupidly slamming a cupboard very loudly in anger.

What matters is whether you've done permanent damage or not. If there is no permanent hearing damage, then the spike was like kicking a hornet's nest; it'll eventually settle. And I don't think you did permanent damage to your auditory system by stretching, don't worry. 3 days is nothing.
      Then you're still in the beginning phase of your tinnitus, when it's still changing and settling down. Variance at this point is expected and normal. Hell, it may even go away entirely - tinnitus isn't usually considered chronic until you've had it for 2 years.

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Continued - nerves...
      How stretching can affect the ear or brainstem - and cause a tinnitus spike when the C spine is not healthy. Nerves C1-C4 work to complete the functions of the cervical plexus. This group of nerves allows for movements such as flexing, stretching the neck and swallowing.

"The greater auricular nerve, lesser occipital nerve and the supravlavicular nerve also contribute to the functioning of the cervical plexus."

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-nerves-in-the-neck.htm

There are 3 case medical studies on this with tinnitus.
      Treatment is to use warmth and then cool compresses behind ear and on neck. The sooner the better.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PatrickHolmes

PatrickHolmes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus used to be heard only when I was sleeping, or lying down. It spiked in one ear to hearing it loud twenty four seven and the other ear thumps over and over. Do people that experience spikes find that they go away? I’m two weeks in the spike. Very scary.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Do you know which stretching exercise caused the spike?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PatrickHolmes

PatrickHolmes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had tinnitus for five months after which it got louder. It’s been about 3 months at a volume level of 6 on a scale of 1-10 when I lie or sit down. I do not know whether to accept this as my new reality or see it as temporary. It seems so muddled as to whether or not to have hope on it improving or going away.

• Hug Hug x 1