I Have Un-Habituated

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Some days ago, I made a post claiming that I had finally habituated. However, as of this morning, I appear to have either a new tone or a massive spike in an already existing one, which means it is essentially back to square one.

Which means it is once again time for one of my angry rants. Today I feel I will focus on just how useless ENTs are to tinnitus sufferers in 90% of cases. Last August, I saw a second ENT for my tinnitus, an appointment I waited two months for. The ENT's resident came in to meet me first, and reviewed my symptoms and went over a hearing test I had done a few weeks prior. Then, the ENT came in and repeated almost word for word what his resident told and me and proceeded to read (again, word for word) off a "treatment" and recommendations list that he later handed to me.

In other words, he (like most professionals in his field) are completely worthless. I wish I had yelled at him, told him he was worthless, and embarrassed him in front of his colleagues. I mean, seriously, how worthless do you have to be to charge $200 and have a two month wait to simply read off a fucking print out you could have just emailed to me with a "good luck" message to accompany it. I'm so fucking sick and tired of these people. And what relief do these people push? Why, worthless ones like CBT, which they claim will "decrease stress, help me relax, and have sound drug-free sleep at night". I already do behavior therapy like that and it fails to do that. And no, that isn't an "attitude" problem, and an ineffective treatment problem.

I suppose I'm lucky I didn't see an audiologist, who would readily prescribe an expensive pair of hearing aids that would cost $3000 out of pocket, fail to decrease tinnitus, and improve quality of life by 5-10%. I hate those people. I want to make those grades of hearing aids available without prescription so I can buy a brand they will NOT get a kickback from. I want them to make less money so they and their families are not better off. Fuck those people.

And the worst part is the top says "If you are thinking of hurting yourself because of the tinnitus, call 911 or go immediately to the hospital", where the power-obsessed psychiatrists will hold you against your will and force sedating medication on you so you comply with their wishes. Of course, they offer no real solutions to this permanent problem other than "well just cope and live a good life despite it". I thought that was possible, but today I was reminded of how wrong I was. They simply don't care if you suffer, they just don't want you dead so they cannot be sued.

I'm fucking done with this site. I'm not going to spread anymore of my misery around. Nor am I going to put up with this goddamn noise forever. Sure, I'll put up with it for now, but my treatment from now on will be how to stop the brain from generating the signal, rather than so-called "treatments" to boost mood promote sleep and relaxation rather than targeting the noise.

If you are an ENT who is reading this and you have done anything similar to what I have mentioned above, screw you! Seriously, if you don't have tinnitus I hope you get it and I hope it ruins your life, increases stress, increases anxiety, makes you depressed, ruins you sleep, prevents you from relaxing, and ruins your will to live.

With that, I am off the site.

• Hug Hug x 9
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Gl0w0ut,
      Aww no !
      So sad to hear your back to square one and so angry inside.
      Your battle is hard but your strength will get you through this wobble with a spike and added sound.

We are always here for you but understand if you need time away or need to move on and welcome you back with open arms...
      love glynis x

• Like Like x 2
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The cake is a lie

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      for a second I thought you sold out to Jastreboff welcome back to the cool kids club

instead of leaving you should join MPP

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Gl0w0ut

I don’t understand your complaint. ENTs can help only for a few issues: cholesteoma, acoustic neuroma, infections, otosclerosis, etc..... Sensorineural hearing loss and its close cousin tinnitus can not be treated by any doctor at this time. The tinnitus treatments around are mostly garbage and they all will be seen in the future like primitive approaches. You know there is nothing.... why are you blaming doctors? Tinnitus is really more of a brain problem, ENTs can not help in any way.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Once ENT know there is nothing wrong needing an operation it is then down to Audiology for tinnitus and hearingloss support.
      love glynis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's because they glad-handingly take your money just to tell you "Welp, nothing we can do about it". I was set on smooth sailing until this morning, then everything changed and my life is falling apart again.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I never promoted TRT, I have been a staunch opponent of it for some time. I don't know why, but one tone in my ears is especially annoying today. I fucking hate this, it was one step forward and now one hundred steps back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. brownbear

brownbear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden sensorineural hearing loss ? cochlear hydrops
      You've got an ENT here reading this who is fully afflicted so that's a start for you. Hope that helps. Hope you habituate again soon. Best wishes

• Like Like x 4
    10. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope your new tone/spike is temporary.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There's cake? :hungry:

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I cant habituate to severe tinnitus, no way no how. I also have Severe H so when I flip pages of the book it hurts my ears or when I urinate. It has been since Jan and I see no improvement. I think habitation is possible with somewone who has mild tinnitus, otherwise anything beyond that is going to be very hard to habituate to. I have very intrusive tinntius and let me tell you I cant just tune it out, it is a high pitched dentist drill that makes my jaw hurt.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 2
    13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Whether you habituate or not, there is no need to give a negative stigma towards this site. All this site has ever done was to support you and motivate you to carry on with your life. This site doesn't owe anyone anything, it's a privilege to have members come here and support each other.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didnt give negative stigma to the site. This is an amazing website. I am just saying that habituating to very intrusive tinnitus is simply not possible. I had to quit my job because I was not able to focus or concentrate anymore. Maybe some people can habituate with severe T but I cant. When my T gets so loud I cant even type on the computer how bad it is.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am talking to the person who created the thread, not you buddy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel sorry for him. We dont know through what he is going through. Not everyone is strong to endure Tinnitus. I amaze myself how I am able to function throughout the day with Severe H and T. I have HOPE that it will get better ,it must get better. There are also treatments that will help me.

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Where did I claim this site owes me anything?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      If you succeed you will win the Nobel Prize.

• Like Like x 3
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well antagonizing Nitric Oxide or NMDA receptors is a start

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I don't understand your anger towards ENTs, audiologists and psychiatrists. There is nothing they can do for some types of T with an unknown cause. There are good and bad doctors just like every single other job in the world.

Personally I have spent time off work doing IOP where I learned CBT and DBT. It helped but by no means a perfect solution. It's an ongoing struggle and the coping mechanisms have helped me.

@Glowout I hope you find a way to funnel your anger into finding some peace.

21. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      "Tinnitus is a symptom"

"Symptom of what?"

"I dunno"

They didn't even try to find out what this was a "symptom" of outside of a standard hearing test

What a joke

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      People that constantly blame others and constantly complain are limited in their lives. This is not just for those that have tinnitus. This is for everyone. Instead of constantly complaining and blaming, we need to come up with a game plan that helps us address our issues. I'm done complaining about my tinnitus. it's super loud, super annoying but it is - what it is. Instead using that energy to constantly complain, I can use that same energy for something that can take my mind of the noise. My tinnitus is impossible to not hear, but things can still be done to not focus on that loud/intrusive noise.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    23. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Why blame the site?
      What did they ever do to you
      other than wish you well....?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      People need to be able to vent their frustrations instead of bottling them up and putting a fake smile on their faces. I don't like it when I see people get criticized because they express anger. Anger is normal. Expecting people to act "positive" all the time is unrealistic, unfair, and unhealthy. It only encourages people to hide their true feelings to avoid disapproval.

I say: vent, complain, yell, whatever, and just get it out of your system when you need to. You wouldn't swallow your vomit back down when it needs to get out of your system. So don't swallow your feelings either.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 2
    25. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Anger is normal. How you direct the anger is another story. Venting is also not something that is found to have positive effects.

....Nobody said people need to be positive all the time, I just don't agree with the hate spewed.

26. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      SugarMagnolia, I fully agree with you. In fact, to act positive all the time is not normal and if they disapprove, they are already showing a negative feeling in relation to the other.

• Agree Agree x 5
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah, I see I poorly worded that. I meant more that I'm done being here as I'm just going to be more salty.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Nobody said to act positive all the time.

29. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, To some degree I agree. But this thread poster seems to constantly create threads like this and spew negativity. That's fine be negative or positive, that's his/her choice. To say "I'm done with this site or F this site" is not acceptable. I don't care how good or bad someone feels, but to insult the VERY SAME site that supports and comments to him and tries to comforts him is NOT acceptable...

No one owes the poster anything, we come here to help and to have someone say F you and this site is not acceptable. To you maybe it might be, but to a normal person it is not....

Even with our difficult lives, we come here to support each other....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I pray you get better soon and the spike calms down. Give it sometime and try to relax. Are you sleeping???