I Invented a Sound That Knocked Out My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by R. David Case, Dec 27, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

R. David Case Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      The main problem we run into is the headphones falling off in the middle of the night, this allows the tinnitus to reform and all positive gains are gone by morning. Tinnitus Mix only knocks out tinnitus for several weeks or months if you play it every night, all night without skipping a night, or the tinnitus reforms. Some do get permanent relief and some may have to play it once a week as maintenance. If sleeping on the side is hard, you can cut a hole in a cheap foam pillow and then the earpiece fits right into the hole, you don't even feel the headphones on you then.

I know Dr. De Ridder gave the sound file to a number of patients to test but was not aware that if the headphones fall off in the middle of night, the person will not have good results. So without explaining this to patients, the results would be much lower than mine. I follow up with people that get my CD many times in the first few weeks to help them overcome issues with using the headphones and the protocol, that's why my success rate is close to 50%, and his was only 20%.

I find it is extremely hard to get people to follow instructions.

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 08-43-00 pillow with hole - Google Search.png

2. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Thanks for your reply. I am fortunate at the moment with fairly low level tinnitus. However - if it increases and starts to seriously affect my life, I will certainly try your method down to the last detail.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mikejones

Mikejones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How can I listen to Tinnitus Mix when I'm asleep if the sound is only about an hour long? How can I make it play all night?

4. Adrian2005

Adrian2005 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Mike, you can play the track in "loop" mode, with this functionality the only end happens when your battery runs out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Shaden

Shaden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hi @R. David Case. I have reactive catastrophic tinnitus along with a mild to moderate hearing loss. Is this worth a try? Has there been any positive results on reactive tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      As far as I know, NO sound therapy can help reactive tinnitus. Sorry, I know it is torture, been there, done that. You can try Tinnitus Mix on bone conduction headphones (the 20 kHz or higher ones) just in front of ears, not on ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      Not sure if this has been asked already but I can't read through 107 pages.

If someone has hearing damage and can't hear above, say, 12 kHz or 13 kHz, would this still work? And if you can't hear frequencies above 12 kHz, what good would headphones that claim to go up to 25 kHz do? And the maximum that completely undamaged human hearing can perceive is 20 kHz, so how exactly is this supposed to work?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi, glad to help. Yes, Tinnitus Mix will work even if you have hearing loss and even if you can't hear the sounds. And yes, you must use the Koss KTX-PRO1 headphones (25 kHz) even though we can't hear above 20 kHz. The reason is there are magnetic waves above 20 kHz on the sound file that interfere with the structure of tinnitus and cause neuroplasticity (neural rebooting). Dr. Dineshen found harmonics in Tinnitus Mix in the 2.8 MHz range that is known to cause neuroplasticity. Many report hearing improvements after using Tinnitus Mix.

study 2.8mhz.png

025.png

9. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      @R. David Case, are you familiar with the works of Georges Lakhovsky?

• Like Like x 1
    10. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply. Between the KTX and KS,C do you recommend one over the other?

Also, are there any earbuds you're aware of that would work with Tinnitus Mix? I've seen the proposed solutions for keeping these headphones from falling off while you sleep but I can't imagine this would work for me. I have a set of "sleep headphones" that are basically a headband with speakers built in inside a small flap that goes over your ears and I can't even keep those on.

Only way I can imagine either of these headphones staying on while I sleep is if I sleep in a sitting position on my couch or a recliner or something like that.

Seems like a set of earbuds would work better if they can produce the right frequencies.

I also wanted to ask, is the mechanism behind this similar to residual inhibition? I'm sitting here at work and using a cheap Jabra headset which probably tops out at 15 kHz but I found that after listening to it for a couple of minutes and then turning it off, my perception of the tinnitus tone seems like it's lower than my regular baseline. But like residual inhibition, after about a minute it seems to go back to its normal level.

Hopefully it doesn't end up making things worse...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      No I have not heard of him.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That is a good sign Tinnitus Mix will lower your tinnitus. The only difference between the Koss KTX-PRO1 and the KSC-75 is the latter has no headband. You should follow instructions and DON'T skip a night/day. Yes there are earbuds that will work, pictured below. You could also replace the earpieces in your sleep phones with the earpieces of the KSC-75.

We believe Tinnitus Mix is causing neural rebooting because residual inhibition usually only lasts a short wile, many report after using Tinnitus Mix for a few months they no longer need to play it anymore as their tinnitus is gone.

earbuds.png

T gone best T Talk.png

13. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hopefully this isn't a dumb question but in the event that I can't figure out how to sleep with the headphones or earbuds in, can this work by listening for a couple of hours a day during the day?

I don't think the KSC-75 earpieces placed inside the sleep headphone headband would work for me. The headband is Bluetooth so for me the biggest hindrance would be the wire and getting tangled up in it while I sleep.

I did order the KTX-Pro1 to give it a try. It's only $18 and I've already spent close to $1K in ENT and Audiologist visits so $18 isn't a big deal. But I do wonder how I'm going to sleep while wearing them. If I can listen for an hour or two during the day instead, I can make that work.

If not, I think you mentioned that the protocol is 3 to 21 nights and I've already lost a lot more sleep than that because of tinnitus so I'm willing to try...

14. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mr Case has previously insisted on following the exact protocol. It really is a BIG deal doing this to the letter and the old ladies Mr Case has had testimonials from regarding success I find it hard to believe they are going to all this trouble including cutting holes in a foam pillow so you can turn on your side.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You can play during the day instead of night but it will take longer. You do need to play during the day for at least 5 hours a day without skipping a day or your tinnitus will reform. Just a couple hours a day is not long enough. Glad to help.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Or just buy a pillow with a hole.

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 08-43-00 pillow with hole - Google Search.png

17. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been doing a lot reading/research of his work, which is fascinating. I do wonder whether there are similarities in what may be going on with the Koss headphones and the antennae that were a crucial part of Lakhovsky's Multiwave Oscillator.

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 17.09.14.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    18. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So Friday night I tried sleeping with the Koss headphones on and it was kind of a disaster. I kept waking up because I would turn and then the headphones would fall off. Also, I'm not sure why but when I finally woke up my tinnitus was noticeably louder than it had been. I don't know if that's a result of very poor sleep but it was very annoying and somewhat concerning.

I ended up ordering the 1More earbuds to see if those will be any better for sleeping. They arrive today so I'll test them out tonight.

But last night I went back to my normal routine of cricket sounds through the soundbar I have sitting on the headboard. This morning when I woke up my tinnitus was noticeably lower. The crickets seem to lower my perception of the tinnitus tone upon waking up.

Granted, my attempt at sleeping with the Koss headphones was an epic fail so I haven't given this a real attempt but it was definitely a little concerning that after my attempt Friday night, I woke up Saturday with my tinnitus louder than normal.

@R. David Case, you mentioned that this can be done during the day but requires 5 hours. Does that 5 hours have to be all at once with no interruptions or can you do 1 hour, a break, then 30 minutes, then 2 hours, etc...?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, if headphones fall off during the night, all gains are lost because the tinnitus will reform. That is normal. You can put a sock hat over the Koss headphones to keep them in place.

If you decide you are going to play it during the day, you must play for many hours WITHOUT breaks because otherwise the tinnitus will reform. It is just a fact that Tinnitus Mix does work as long as you don't use it in spurts. You will find the 1More earbuds will work better for sleep. Make sure you play it on very low volume the first week to allow you to sleep. Then the sounds will change into soothing sounds.

011.png

012.png

013.png

014.png

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      The Koss headphones are much smaller... lol, what kind of frequencies did he use?

21. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, thanks again for the reply and additional info.

I gave up on the Koss headphones but they were only $18 so not a huge loss. I'm sure I'll find another use for them at some point.

The 1More earbuds arrived yesterday and I tried them out last night. Much better. They did not fall out at all and although I had to adjust my usual sleeping positions, I was able to sleep on my side, on my front, on my back, all without any major discomfort. I made it through the whole night listening to the audio. At times, even at low volumes the sounds from the audio woke me up but I was able to get back to sleep.

I'm not noticing any major difference this morning but I understand that it can take 3 weeks to notice a difference so at this point everything is in place to be able to do this nightly for as long as it takes.

• Like Like x 2
    22. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, today's headphones are certainly more compact!

Regarding frequencies, Lakhovsky used broadband. The rationale being that each cell in the body vibrates at it's own frequency (determined by many factors - transmembrane potential being one of them). Therefore attempting to re-charge 'ill' cells (i.e. those with a lowered TMP) using a select frequency would be impossible due to the sheer number of specific frequencies involved.

The point was moot in Lakhovsky's oscillators, however, because he believed that a, cell in need, would automatically extract the energy it required at the correct frequency through the process of resonance.

His thesis is simple and makes absolute sense to me, and in fact, it's one of the reasons why I am so suspicious of the modern-day semi-equivalants like rTMS for example, the designers of which appear to be using a narrow band of select frequencies instead. If maladaptive cells in tinnitus gating systems upstream of the cochlear are at the root cause of this condition (I believe there's a reasonable enough rationale to believe this to be the case) and if the resonant frequencies of those cells is outside of the operating spectrum of the modern-day EMF systems then those treatments will be useless.

Perhaps you are on to something with the coils in the Koss headphones, and perhaps the similarity to Lakhovsky's research is there. Who knows?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sooo... another update. I realized that because of the hearing loss in my left ear, if I play Tinnitus Mix at a volume where I can comfortably hear it in both ears, it's too loud in my right ear, and when I play it at a volume that's comfortable for my right ear, I don't hear it fully in my left ear. The Android tablet I'm using doesn't have a Left/Right balance control so my solution was to open the file in Audacity, move the balance slider to 60% left, and export it back to a wav file.

@R. David Case, any issues with doing this? I can now hear it comfortably in both ears and it sounds well balanced between both ears. Makes it much more tolerable so hopefully you haven't run into any issues with people doing this either by editing the sound file or if they have a Left/Right balance control from their audio player.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That should be ok, but remember the ear does not have to HEAR Tinnitus Mix for it to work, there are electromagnetic waves also transmitted by the headphones and we believe these may be more important than the sound waves in causing neuroplasticity or stopping tinnitus.

030.png

028.png

027.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    25. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      May you kindly tell me which bone conduction headphones I can choose?

26. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good for him but his hearing coming back may just be coincidental. Keep us up to date with Gwen's progress.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Not a coincidence. Many have reported improved hearing after using Tinnitus Mix, even posters on this thread. Here is one opinion why below.

therory of how therapy works.png

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which posts on this thread claim Tinnitus Mix restored hearing? Since you make this claim, please cite the posts. I didn't notice any but I could be wrong. Just some posters saying their tinnitus improved.

You will be the toast of hard of hearing and deaf the world over - Nobel Prize etc - if you have a tool which can restore hearing.

30. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So here's my 4 night update. Since Sunday I've been using the 1More earbuds to listen to the sound all night. The results so far are concerning. I've found that if I wake up in the middle of the night, the tinnitus sound seems louder. Also, every morning when I've woken up the tinnitus sounds louder than normal.

If anything, this thing seems to be making it worse. It does settle down a little after being awake an hour or two but it's just going back to its regular baseline and not getting any lower. Today it's actually louder than usual and hasn't settled down after 5 hours. So, the "3" part of the 3 to 21 days is definitely not happening for me. I'd say that after 3 days it has made it worse. This is surprising since when I initially listened to it during the day for a few minutes I experienced some residual inhibition but that hasn't been the case when I listen to it for 7 or 8 hours while I sleep.

Also, some of the sounds from this file, especially the sounds on the right channel, sound like something out of a horror movie. When I'm half-asleep it sounds like screaming and odd whispering and other stuff you might hear in a horror movie. Definitely not calming or good for sleeping. Good thing I like horror movies.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, those sounds combined with the louder tinnitus tone make it very difficult to get back to sleep.

I suppose I can give it another 3 nights to do a full week but if I don't start to see any improvement by then I'm going back to my nighttime crickets and daytime notched-audio therapy and the occasional Clonazepam.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1