I Usually Manage with My Tinnitus — Depression Makes It Tricky

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samrock, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Samrock

Samrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      on/off 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/anxiety
      I can't quite put my finger on it.

For the last 2 weeks or so, I seem to be hyper-focussing on it. My ability to distract myself is weakening.

It's been my observation, that when you're depressed, you focus on it more. Or, perhaps you're more alert to the negative aspects in your life, so you naturally focus on it due to that? My depression comes in waves, depending on what's going on in my life. Right now it's pretty bad.

My tinnitus is on average a constant 4 or 5/10. I find that when I'm outside, the ambient sounds around me help me to distract from it a lot more, but indoors it's more noticeable, and all day.

And with depression, you don't want to go out, so I feel like I'm stuck in a cruel cycle. At this stage, I'd rather be made totally deaf just so I don't have to listen to it anymore.

I'm trying to use the "This too shall pass" mantra, but I'm finding it more difficult to see a way forward.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am sorry that you are dealing with this, it's hard living with tinnitus no matter what level of intensity it's at. I deal with a severe case of mad tinnitus, and it can be tough. I have dealt with moods and emotions that come from tinnitus and life in general.

I have had days that I felt, like I am not in the mood to do this or do that. When I get like that, I do my best to just do something, maybe read a book, maybe just go outside and look at the trees (If your environment is loud, please protect your ears). I refuse to let tinnitus set a pattern on me, it's really hard, the loudness is horrible, but it's a constant fixture for me and I still try to do what I can to live my life.

Gaining some support from someone that genuinely cares, is so important. I have had lots of support throughout my close to 34 years with this ringing in my ears. I also build out my support from my inner self and just how I deal with things.

All in all, tinnitus can make life hard, I live it daily and I am like all of you folks. I do my best to just take a step forward and just make my day count :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      @Samrock, I have also been dealing with depression for over a decade and, for the past year or so, tinnitus on top of it. It's really a tug-of-war as I struggle to try and keep my mind off of the tinnitus, but the moment I actually have some success I find my inner monologue asking myself, "Why am I happy right now? I shouldn't be happy. I have tinnitus. Hear that ringing?"

It's definitely a cruel cycle.

I don't really have any advice as I'm still trying to figuring it all out, but know you aren't alone in this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hey fishbone, I want to say your a true warrior for dealing with severe tinnitus and keeping a good mindset.

I have a few questions for you. I have a very bad case of tinnitus that I have been living with 2 years now so hearing from someone with bad tinnitus may help me some.

Are you aware of your tinnitus constantly? Do you hear it every waking second? There are people who say they have severe unmaskable tinnitus but they say they can go a few hours a day without being aware of it but I haven't achieved that. I'm always aware of mine.

I know you have said you got hearing loss and so do I.

Does the tinnitus distort your hearing? Does music sound different with it? TV is hard because the tinnitus is distracting for me so I don't watch it hardly at all.

How can you listen to TV and music with severe tinnitus if you're able to do it? Do you find yourself having to listen through your tinnitus during conversations and TV?

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's beyond loud, it's impossible to not hear it, this is my baseline, when it spikes it's worst.
      The tinnitus can cover my hearing when it's really bad, it can be a challenge. Even though the tinnitus is this bad and loud, I still am able to remain focused, hearing can be a challenge, but I'm still focused and do what I have to do.

I have a passion for music, always did and always will. My tinnitus became like this due to loud sounds/environments.

I still try to listen to music at low volumes, but it can be tough to fit it in with the hearing loss and the loud tinnitus.

I'm very honest about my tinnitus and how it has affected me. My hearing is off, the tinnitus is beyond loud, but I am still the same me and will not let tinnitus stop that. Is it easy? NO, it takes lots of patience, self love and just pushing forward.

I am in the same boat as the other good people here. I just been dealing with this for quite awhile, my goal is to help those that have tinnitus like I do :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      How do you sleep? Any distortions or hyperacusis?

7. Kenilworth

Kenilworth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My tinnitus and hearing are similar to yours. My tinnitus is beyond catastrophic. It's just chaos in my head/ears. But it's always comforting to know I'm not alone.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am sorry to hear this, It takes lots of patience and adjustments to live like this. I do it on a daily basis, it's not easy but I still do my best to move forward.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. LR Roberts

LR Roberts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced using earbuds
      Does the depression cause the tinnitus, or does the tinnitus cause the depression?

It's like being on a nightmare merry go round. So many questions and so few answers. I have always had issues with depression and since developing tinnitus in October 2021, it has gotten worse. It's always there... first thing I hear in the am and last thing I hear in the pm.

• Hug Hug x 2