If You Have Benzo Induced Tinnitus (Klonopin, Xanax, Valium, Ativan, etc.), What Does It Sound Like?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Mar 29, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm just curious for those people that have taken these drugs long term and have got tinnitus, what the sound was like (ex. static, electrical, whistle, tonal, etc.).

Also, if you got the tinnitus while withdrawing from the drug please state that and also put down the type of sound it gave you.

If you can, tell how long you took the drug and what dosage before the T started and also if some event happened right before the T started.

Thanks for everyone's help!

2. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      Hi, JasonP

Sounds first: Reactive tinnitus adds a sound to everything I hear, Tinnitus pulsatile, high pithed around 12khz (like static or very high peeeeeeep), tone around 5khz, sometimes cliking sounds (apear once or twice a week for an hour sometimes longer) few other sounds mostly masked by the ones that i described quite often cricked sound very high pitch.

duration 7 years of very high dose last 3 years 60mg daily in one dose (sixty mg 30 x 2mg clonazepam) highest dose 140 mg in two doses second dose 2 hours later 80 + 60 mg. Withdrawal 2 months in hospital i decided myself to do this because i wanted too. T started 4 hours after i returned from hospital firs started panic attacks and the T.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      during takinkg clonazepam felt good and did not have any side effects everything happend during withdrawal depresion mild panick attacks, severe nystagmus(went coompetly away after 2 months).

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bartek Am I reading this correctly, you were taking 60mg of Klonopin/Clonazepam daily?

Wow. I took 2mg/day for about 5 years, and it took me a year and a half to withdraw. I can't even imagine being functional/able to hold a conversation at that dose! Did you start at a much lower dose and just sort of build up over time? I assume you must have been buying this all off the black market?

I don't mean to pry, am just curious

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      Hi,

YES REALY 60 mg of klonopin daily !

Some of it yes i developed my strategies how to get it from doctors :) its not expensive in poland on black market it costs about 12 dolars for one pack . I started with 2mg a day like my doctor prescibed for anxiety. My tolerance went up fast for me it was something normal i was able to function normaly with a good i dont care vibe. The withdrawal was easy to for me of course except T. I spoke with many people in the hospital and belive me my doses wasnt even close to extremly high doses that i heard of.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      increasingly uncertain, maybe noise, maybe somatic ?
      Sorry, I doubt there is any correlation between the cause of tinnitus and the nature of tinnitus.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There is, at the very least for some types of causes.
      For example, hydrops/menieres generally trigger low frequency Tinnitus.
      Otosclerosis also generally triggers low frequency Tinnitus.
      Vein/Artery related T is often a whooshing sound.
      Presbyacusis/HFHL is often high pitch.

These are general observations, they are not strict rules (exceptions exist).

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      increasingly uncertain, maybe noise, maybe somatic ?
      Yes, o.k., you are right.
      But: noise induction: What kind of tinnitus is expected?
      So many drugs have tinnitus as a side effect.
      Why? Are they ototoxic? Is that proven?

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think it depends. Long exposure to music generally leads to a 4 kHz notch on an audiogram. A short exposure to a loud sound would affect cells mapped to the energy distribution in that sound. So a sound with a lot of energy in the 8 kHz region would affect the hair cells & synapses around the 8 kHz region of the cochlea.
      Often the T is in the region of the hearing loss, so it can correlate with the energy distribution of the trauma sound.

Some of them are indeed ototoxic. It is proven with clinical studies. In many cases the effects on hearing are temporary and dissipate after discontinuation of the drug, but sometimes you get permanent injuries to your hearing apparatus.

10. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use

Is there anything that can be done about the energy distribution?

11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not really, since the acoustic trauma is by definition accidental, so you don't get to pick what sound you're going to be hit with.

For sound exposure that you have control of, keeping the volume reasonable is the way to go. If you want to get fancy about energy distribution in the spectrum, you can play with different music styles, as they have different energy distribution signatures. But really, no need to get that fancy and change your musical tastes: just keep the volume reasonable.

12. Jim Hendricks

Jim Hendricks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Hereditary

13. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      Hi Jim

If you want you dont have to belive me but that what im saying is the truth i really have no reason to lie. Been in hospital during my withdrawal and belive me i was not the record holder

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      and where did you find this info ?

• Like Like x 1
    15. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My clonezepam withdrawal induced tinnitus started out with a frightening super high frequency 36 hours after my last dose. I'm back on clonezepam now. I started weaning off in April 2018 from 3mg to sleep at night only. When I got to .25 at the end of July, after the T started, I went through a myriad of withdrawal symptoms that landed me in the ER and 5 other doctors. I'm seeing a neurologist next. I can feel pressure inside my head. The anxiety heaped on top of my usual dose of anxiety was more than I could bear, beside not sleeping. Now, 2 months later, the frequency is still high pitched in my left ear, and low in my right ear. The left side didn't start right away. One new wrinkle last week was that it did this thing where it paused a few times but it was like beats, so it didn't really stop. Then this weekend, the pressure inside my head was so intrusive and disruptive. I had a hard time concentrating and had a hard time finding words sometimes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      How does that make sense?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't know if this will help you or not but I was able to get some relief from benzo withdrawal by taking Neurontin. However, I have nowhere near the symptoms you have or took that high of a dose. :( I took a small amount of Neurontin. It did not take away the T but it helps calm me down sometimes. :( I am so sorry to hear about all the problems you are dealing with.

Other medications that seemed to help were Depakote and Trileptal. Trileptal I didn't like as much though because of side effects. A low dose of Depakote seemed to be okay but I didn't take it for a long enough time to know if there would be any side effects.

I am sharing this information so you can ask your neurologist about them if you want. I am not suggesting you take them because I don't know what kind of effect or side effects they would have on you and I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you. :( I hope you get better soon.

18. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for your message. I finally saw my neurologist yesterday. He said all of the symptoms I'm having, including the T are fibromyalgia. Which I never even considered. He prescribed generic celexa and gave me refills for Klonopin. I start the celexa this morning. I really never wanted to go off klonopin. My np could not prescribe it anymore. So, I move forward with this diagnosis and figure out how to live with it and manage my symptoms.

19. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent and severe since 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Black Sabbath.
      Wow.
      Some people just make statistics up out of thin air.

Give me a break with your Lethal Doses and World Records.

Your obviously clueless and have not spent any quality time with world-class drug addicts.

I have a friend whose Mom is a life long drug addict and I watch her swallow ten 2mg Xanax for breakfast on a regular basis just to get the day going. FACT.

And that’s just one simple example.
      I could go on for many hours.

Just one of those pills would put an average person on another planet for 12 hours.
      Mixed with other depressant drugs- it will kill most people.

But for true lifelong Hard-Core drug addicts-
      Most can eat Benzos like it’s candy and be fine.

20. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Saw that same shit myself. I have a friend who's a hardcore Xanax addict. Sometimes he disappears for weeks, his speech is slurred, his hands never stop shaking, he has tinnitus from the stuff, the works. Once he pulled out a literal handful of 1mg Xanax pills from his pocket, swallowed it after morning workout, then went on with his day. That was 15-20mg.

If you do that as a non-benzo-tolerant person, the least thing you can expect is unconsciousness for half a week, followed either by the ICU or the morgue depending on your luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication
      The Ashton manual says this:

One of the most distressing sensory symptoms is tinnitus, a constant ringing or hissing in the ears which has been noted in several studies of benzodiazepine withdrawal. One lady described her tinnitus as a "needle of sound" piercing deep inside her head. Tinnitus is often associated with a degree of hearing loss and is not uncommon in people with partial nerve deafness who have never taken benzodiazepines. Nevertheless, it often makes its first appearance during benzodiazepine withdrawal in people who have had hearing loss for years. Also, it may be unilateral or precisely localised, even in those with symmetrical bilateral hearing loss. Whether people who have taken long-term benzodiazepines are particularly prone to tinnitus and if so why, is not known. It can persist for years and does not always respond to the usual treatments for tinnitus (maskers, etc); nor is it always relieved by restarting benzodiazepines.

This is my tinnitus, due to an ear infection but very probably worsened by an attempt to come off pregabalin. Needle of very high frequency sound, painful and super-intrusive, electric hiss

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I wonder why you get an electric hiss and not a high pitched whining sound? I thought the really intrusive and high pitched tinnitus was always a whining sound.

23. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It has a vibrational quality that grabs your attention whatever you try to do, it is so alien.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. James1977
      No Mood

James1977 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/19/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IMAX Movie
      When you say vibrational do you have surging in it? Mine is high pitch and is often oscillating every second or so.

25. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it does that too. It's not pulsatile tinnitus, it's just a variation on the screaming. Also, mine is extremely somatic, if I bend over or make any effort it gets even worse.

26. James1977
      No Mood

James1977 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/19/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IMAX Movie
      Yes sounds so familiar... Mine is worse lying down at night. If you don't mind how long did you stick with Tinnitus Mix? I read yours worsened a bit from it, did you continue on? I used pink noise and it worsened mine. Probably my worst decision. It's amazing what we will do when desperate.

27. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I tried tinnitusmix for four nights. It made me worse. Unfortunately the only sounds that partly cover mine, violet noise, loud high-pitched crickets and loud white noise all make it worse afterward. It's a horrible catch 22: if you don't mask it's agony, but if you mask you make it worse. An invention of the devil for sure.

28. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to revive this thread. I'm trying to establish how drugs worsened my tinnitus (originated by a virus). Coming off pregabalin and now on clonazepam. It keeps worsening more and more and the only cause I can think of is gaba drugs and tolerance.
      My tinnitus is not tonal, it's a super-loud broadband high freq hiss/static (range probably centered around 11khz) with a very intrusive quality. It makes me desperate 24/7 and I need to push through every minute. It's agony.

If others have similar tinnitus from benzos or gabapentinoid please let me know.

Edit to give you an idea, to mask I need to play this at volume 6-7 in my phone with headset
      Best Tinnitus Sound Therapy Ever 10 Thousand...

or this at volume 8-9
      MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY 1...

29. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My tinnitus may have been caused by benzos (lorazepam). It appeared a month after I took my last benzo. I am not sure the lorazepam was the cause, but based on what I have read online it seems at least possible.

My tinnitus constantly changes. In a quiet room it is a quiet buzz, in a moderately loud environment it is a high pitched hiss, combined with a buzzing. It is extremely reactive to sound.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I had a static hiss too that was able to be helped by glutamate medications like Riluzole and Lamictal. Looking back though, I am wondering if Lamictal sometimes increased the tonal tinnitus that I already had.

• Good Question Good Question x 1