I'm Losing It. Not Doing Well.

Discussion in 'Support' started by vermillion, Jun 19, 2018.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      And if hearing and vision follow similar neural paradigms, perhaps it gives us hope that restoring hearing would help alleviate T.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Highly unlikely you would have to endure that. I suspect you would qualify for an end of life solution based on having T and blindness. And only the cruelest of s*** would question your decision.

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Blindness and tinnitus do not qualify for assisted suicide in the U.S.

4. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @Tinker Bell dignitas or Holland end of life clinics would definitely allow it. They’ve even started considering mental illness.

5. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Even weird when people say you have to deal with your T when in some countries they torture their prisoners with a constant noise in their cell. Would they eventually habituate also ... guess not because it is a punishment...and that is how T also feels... a punishment. Nothing good comes from T ...and if you say it did you perhaps did not lived a good life before T ...because without T I was a happy person helping others all the time.... and now I have just like most of you no friends left. Only
      I had floaters and I had surgery for it on both eyes and they are 100 percent gone now. Yes floaters are as bad as T but at least you can get rid of it with a FOV (Floaters Only Vitrectomy). I was so happy when I got my vision back without this spiderweb and dots of floaters ruining my vision...but then 10 years later T kicked in..... I was looking for a solution again just like floaters....but when I realised there is nothing you could do about that anxiery kicked my down hard ending up in depression. Experienced both I think bad floaters is the same as mild to medium T. Severe T is much worse than floaters....but that is just my cup of tea.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      @Ed209 @dayma @glynis @Kolisar @GregCA
      Thank you very much for reaching out to me. I appreciate this very much.
      My family can be very supportive but there is a limitation. They could not afford to help me with my debts. Eventually i will have to move back and stay with them, which will be very hard and depressing, given the fact that i am 34 years old. What is really difficult is the inability for them to understand my urge to die. They don't get it when i say to them that this is incurable and very limiting, even after all the doctors that i have visited. I have spent thousands of euros for medical tests, appointments and treatments. My parents are a bit uneducated in this aspect. They thing that i don't do anything about my condition so to get better, because i refuse to do anymore quackery stuff such as bioresonance, herbs etc. They even suggested to start going to the church and ask for God's help, like all the other people :(. I understand them because they love me very much and they feel so distressed since they cannot do anything to help. Watching me in this situation is extremely painful for them. My family is the main reason that holds me back from ending it, but this adds to me extra pressure, suffering and discomfort. It would be so confronting and relieving to know that they would understood this decision.

This is another struggle. To prove that your depression is derived purely and ONLY by this ailment. I was a happy person before. I had my struggles like any other people on this earth, but i was ok. I had dreams. I had plans. I was doing actually extremely good. At some point (ironically) i was caught myself thinking how lucky i was to have this healthy body that never gave me any non-manageable issues. I really don't know what happened the last 16 months. It's a domino that i cannot stop. Ears, now vision.

Dear @Bam,
      When i read the above i burst into tears. I want to thank you very much, because it may be the first time that someone understands and describes so much what i experience and what i feel. I wanted to pm you but you have de-activated this feature, so i write this here. Allow me to print this text of yours, as i want to include this in a diary that i plan to leave to my family for the time i decide to end this. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @vermillion I feel your pain so deeply. I’ve not suffered for as long as you with this but as my posts show I still know only too well all the anguish you feel and what seems like a total disregard of the rest of the world to our plight and all that this affliction has taken from us. I know it’s hard to take but your family will never understand your urge to die. Not because they don’t see your immense suffering. They do. Only too clearly. As do mine. It’s not indifference. It’s the exact same desperation you and I feel because they love you so much. We desperately want rid of the noise and they desperately want rid of our suffering and they cannot achieve it. We’ve all come up against a formidable enemy and everyone is working toward the same goal with such emotion that everyone feels ravaged by it. The deep frustration that all the love and money and hope and prayer will never get us out of this, but let’s hope together today that time, fortitude, patience and strength might see us to a place where we can at least glimpse a new horizon, some sort of future. I understand your desire to go, I of all people will never belittle that. I also honour your struggle and the immense strength sapping courage of the daily battle you’ve been engaged in for all these long months. But I can see like me, what a light you once were in the world and I hope with all my heart you choose to stay in the war with me and keep fighting those day to day battles and that our lights one day start to shine again. ......Stay with me brother. For that’s what we are now.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. RH36

RH36 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Build up of earwax?
      I wish you the best of luck in coping, vermillion. Your current situation sounds horrible.

Would you mind briefly describing your vision problems? My main health issue is vision related and I'm curious as to what you might have.

9. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      @TheDanishGirl Perhaps in your profile you do not have the option on the start private messages or you block them because I can chat with everybody else. Please check that and otherwise ask the moderator. If nothing helps just ask your question here or give me an email address. For other people who experience bad Floaters ....there is a 100% cure already for many years, but a lot of doctors will not say it to you. I kept everybody informed about my progress and i see my posts are still on the forum (12 years old already)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/floatertalk/i-had-fov-jan-27-in-leuven-by-dr-stalmans-t949.html

Take a look and get your floaters removed .... T is bad enough on its own already

10. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I have floaters and visual snow that I got from Severe T and H. let me tell you I would rather choose the damn floaters over the SEVERE H and T.

• Agree Agree x 4
    11. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      If I woke up tomorrow in total silence but so many floaters I couldnt even see my own **** i would be overjoyed. Because as Rico pointed out floaters are totally treatable and that was 10 years ago. If only T could be cured with a half hour £3k operation. One day it probably will be. Sadly too late for us poor souls.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @dpdx how you doing bud? I think you’re having as tough a time as me so just wanted you to know you’re not alone.

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suffering as always.

14. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Ditto. Just reading that post about T volume and what it feels like. Unfortunately it seems you and I got a really s****y version of a really s****y disease. God knows how this all ends. I pray we get a lifeline at some point.

15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tell me about it :(
      I am scared of my future. I am only 28...I didnt get a chance to do so many thigns I wanted to do...and I dont believe I will be able to do so because of T :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @dpdx I’m sorry man I really am. It’s a seriously heavy burden that none of us ever expected to carry.

I hope Vermillion has found some breathing space. I wanted to say peace but....well you know....we all know.

Doesn’t it feel so absurd now that we ever worried about ‘normal’ things? Jobs, bills, relationships, a scratch on the car. God I miss those days.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I always used to tell people when my T was off the scale bad, that if the T suddenly stopped but at the same time my house burned down, I lost my job and my dick fell off, I would be the happiest bum (whom will never get laid again) on the planet, while living in a cardboard box under some bridge.
      There was not a word of exaggeration in that statement either.

Once you get used to starring death in the face every time you get up, knowing that today might be the day when you will have to end it (not want to but have to), suddenly the things most of us would get all worked up before tinnitus feel so trivial and meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      and this is why we need a cure and not CBT/TRT therapy. IT wont work with people who have severe tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      CBT/TRT do have their place, but they are only half measures.
      Yes, there is a good chance, that a tinnitus sufferer won't seek to end his/her's life anymore after a tedious round of CBT/TRT, but most people want more out of life, than not wanting to kill themselves every single day.
      I would compare CBT/TRT to a wire coat-hanger one would use, when their muffler attachment points on their car fail in the middle of nowhere...use the coat-hanger as a temporary solution, until you get a chance to get to the shop for a proper fix.
      Another problem is the whole forced positivity.
      Positivity has to be genuine...it needs to come naturally from within...not the "do or die" kind, that one would develop under life threatning circumstances.
      Forced positivity is therefore unstable at best, especially when coupled with self deception....the whole thing could come down like a house of cards with the next spike or any other stress situation.

I remember that somewhere I read an account of a person, who was able to convince himself that the loud debilitating ringing in his ears is actually the sound of calmness and joy.
      I'm guessing that when faced with death, some people are able to perform incredible mental gymnastics, that are not far behind the Orwellian "double think".
      I would compare it to a person getting hit over the head with a stick, while convincing himself that he is really just being caressed, but this analogy kind of falls apart since they would have at least couple seconds in between getting hit...but that is the closest thing I can think of.
      With tinnitus there is no break in the torture...not even couple of seconds.

What I'm trying to say is, that the only real solution is indeed a full 100% cure..anything short of that is just a half measure.

• Genius Genius x 2
    20. Awaker

Awaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am looking at it...
      @vermillion How can I contact you ; I am from Greece too.. in the similar situation.

• Like Like x 1
    21. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Its crazy how my life turned 180 degrees, it is just mind blowinggg. I still cant process in my head how I went from a healthy 28 year old who graduated college, who loved life, was optimistic, etc to a complete wreck when it comes to health. Last year during this time I was happy as hell and I was like holy shit I am so excited to get a job (now that I graduated), buy a car, fall in love, go vacation, buy a house, get engaged, etc. I had it all planned out and I was like nothing can stop me now..literally nothing....hahaha well Tinnitus came along then it increased to Severe, got severe H, Dark eye floaters which cover my vision (left eye), Visual Snow, Insomnia, Balance Problems, and High Blood Pressure. In matter of months all I worked and hoped for fell apart. I am still in shock that my life pretty much went from amazing and carless to suffering and mere survival. I dont cry anymore, its stupid to cry for something that happened...this is my life now and I accept my disabilities/limitations and the fact that I will never be the same person who I was before.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress

This is how strongly the ATA and the BTA tinnitus awareness should be presented. They need to get off the fence! On one hand trying to push for awareness and a cure and on the other publicising this whole ‘it’s a bit annoying but you learn to ignore it’ spiel. They alienate the very people they’re representing because they’re too weak to admit that a lot of us live in permanent hell or are being compelled to kill ourselves! Just this week it looks as though we’ve possibly lost at least one person off this very forum to suicide. Several others like myself are living on the edge every single day.

Before T with my standard of health and modern medicine I put my life expectancy at say 90. Now I literally, no word of a lie, think my life expectancy is 2-3 months. That’s a shocking statistic for someone who doesn’t have a ‘terminal’ illness. Now Their argument is that they’ll scare people. Good! Terrify them! Because if you don’t then the endless noise in their head will.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Bam ,I would not say this unless it was a fact but in that case im sure a statement would be put up by staff.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Hey Glynis. I did clearly say ‘possibly lost’ so not stating that as a fact, but sorry if it’s been misconstrued. x

• Like Like x 1
    25. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      @Bam (Knoll? ;-]),

The BTA are indeed strange. There was a representative at my local tinnitus support group, and she started going on about how we can all mask it by hearing aids, listening to nature sounds, and being mindful etc. Then about 4-5 of us said that ours is unmaskable and 24/7. She didn't seem to quite believe us, implying that if only we had the right attitude it would diminish. But I don't see how, at least in my case, that's possible when I have an obvious physical cause (deafness) - unless she can restore my cochlear's to normal functioning the T isn't going anywhere! I found it all somewhat patronising. Better to acknowledge that there are people like us and that perhaps a more aggressive treatment approach is warranted than "being positive."

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yet why even speculate that we have lost “at least one member” this week? I have been on a thread where members speculated that a poster had committed suicide. Poster eventually showed up and was okay. Their spike and anxiety attack had resolved so they had not been frequenting TT.

ETA: Rather than speculate that a member has committed suicide, reach out to the moderators via a PM and ask about the specific member(s). They can then contact the member. If someone is suicidal, it would be good for a TT moderator to have a chance to reach out to them. If someone has committed suicide, perhaps a loved one will login to their account and see that we are concerned. Knowing that others reached out to your loved one can be comforting.

27. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @glynis Also out of curiosity how are staff ever going to be able to verify such an occurrence?

Okay I’m being constantly misquote here so once again.....I said ‘possibly’ lost and I stand by it. This thread was created by someone who tried to personally message me saying he was putting my words in a suicide diary to his family. You all read that. I’ll be honest it shook me up, I panicked, and tried my best to contact him and encourage him to stay alive. As far as I’m aware he’s not reappeared. There is a tiny likelihood he’s spontaneously improved so as I said I fear he’s ‘posssibly’ gone. You can not argue with my logic on this.

28. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I realize you said “possibly” but my question was why even speculate. I also cross posted with you and mentioned how they could possibly know. I have been on a forum where moderators reached out via PM. A family member than logged on, saw the PM, and responded. The moderators were then able to let our online community know. Sadly it’s a community where this happens relatively often — it’s not a tinnitus forum.

The author even mentioned in his post that he does not frequent here often. I sincerely hope he is well; but posting a vent then not responding happens often and is not enough evidence to suggest possible suicide.

Oh and the last time I pointed that out on a thread members were annoyed . . . and then the author showed back up.

30. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I sincerely hope so.