Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      I sometimes wonder whether a period of suffering tinnitus shouldn't cause the brain's auditory neurones to enhance or depress their interconnection strengths, as appropriate, so as to suppress the effects of over active sensory machinery such as nerve hairs and other auditory neurones and ganglia. I mean to say, if the sound sensing hairs in the auditory canal are broken or dead or missing then the pulses that create tinnitus must either be generated by the nerve endings to which the hairs were attached or in the auditory neurones. Perhaps then stem cell therapy isn't the right approach. The brain's plasticity may be a better route to curing tinnitus? There are drugs which increase the brain's plasticity in the auditory region.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      It is this kind of questions that keep me awake at night! If we could just peek inside and see what's all the commotion about... :)

Perhaps...

Drugs? I read that eating fish and learning to juggle can have the same effect.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      When the "brain's plasticity" can be quantified in believable models several thousand years from now, it will certainly be the approach.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      For people who have researched the subject of hearing regeneration and follow in detail current scientific progress, how long REALISTICALLY can we expect a "cure" to be available to the general public. I read lots about all the different projects going on and the possibility of clinical trials etc, but I am not from a scientific background and therefore I don't know how long, if ever, a treatment for hearing loss (and possibly tinnitus) will take to find? Are we talking 5, 10, 15 years away? Who knows? I suffer from tinnitus and hearing loss from an acoustic trauma, and a "cure" is about the only thing that's keeping hope going for me...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    5. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      I think it's very hard to say, but around 2020 we will have at least 5 companies In the clinic.
      And then we will know much more. So if everything goes as planned, there could be something on the market in 5 years. If you have enough money to pay for it..

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    6. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      • Like Like x 10
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Roughly 1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      • Useful Useful x 2
    8. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      My only concern with so many companies trying to work on hearing loss (not saying it is amazing, I think it is fantastic and needed now with all this noise pollution and loud bar/music culture we live in) is that what if they can restore hearing loss and fix the synaptic auditory connection between the cochlea and the brain how is it that the T could eventually disappear or fade away? Some people even with no hearing loss develop T with no causes or hearing loss. I know that the result of hearing loss is T, but this is not always the case. Some people suddenly wake up with screaming T and are known to have perfect hearing?

Like Dr. Rauschecker said in his video T is located in a very high functional part of your brain.

9. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Maybe believe or not, curing hearing loss is more straight forward than Tinnitus. The heterogeneity and complexity of tinnitus makes for a challenging road ahead.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree 100% it is a very complex condition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      I very much disagree with this statement. I'll accept that curing tinnitus maybe more difficult than restoring hearing loss. This would be because you probably can regain the ability to hear very quite sound with only a few function synaptic connection for that portion of the cochlea. And it make take many more fully connected and functional synaptic connections to completely and in perpetuity eliminate tinnitus and any future re-occurrence. But difficult does not mean the concepts are beyond our comprehension.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      Maybe a stupid question, but if Tinnitus is more in the brain, why can we spike it with sounds in the T ear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @flobo

Your hearing is not totally broken, just damaged. One can understand scenarios where part of the frequency content is interpreted right, and somehow affects to the part that is not working properly. These good and bad neurons are still sharing some of the auditory networks. This interaction produces reactive tinnitus. From my point of view, reactive tinnitus is not always negative (spiking), sometimes the interaction reduces the tinnitus sound. It is hard to say if that mechanism is in the cochlea, brain stem or the auditory cortex.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      That is absolutely so. I never worded it like that, but yes, it often does.

15. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is a good question, yes but why is it that some people have a good ear and a bad ear and all of sudden develop bilateral T in the head? There has to be an additional cause for this. Shouldn't it be only one sided?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      Does this happen often ? I thought people either had to in one ear or in the head from start.

17. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I completely agree and I also think that the only was for us with hearing loss to cure our tinnitus is to fix our hearing first. I don't think we will ever get rid of our tinnitus on its own while our hearing remains damaged. The tinnitus is just a consequence to our bad hearing. I always look more to this thread for answers than some of the other threads.

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think there's some confusion over here as there's people that think that these hair cells regeneration therapies may get rid of all kind of tinnitus. Obviously, they won't since T can be triggered by so many things. That said, if your T was caused by an acoustic event (either acoustic trauma or sustained damage), regenerating new hair cells may cure or lessen tinnitus EVEN if you don't have any hearing loss that you're aware of... because you may have hidden hearing loss. If your T was caused by anything else, you should probably start tracking potassium channel opener drugs (there's a safer and more powerful version of Retigabine on the way, plus some more).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    19. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I was reading before that, that when one is exposed to a loud event, the nucleas membrane turns up the volume in that pitch and a "memory" is stored which leads to the phantom sound tinnitus being stuck there even when the hearing returns back to normal. If this is true, how would regenerating hair cells unlearn this memory?

• Creative Creative x 1
    20. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      And that is a very good question too! I think it may have something to do with bilateral fusion. But I have not developed a full theory, nor do I have a way of testing it experimentally. It's something I think scientists should look at.

I have one ear that is more damaged than the other. The other one is normal or near normal. Even the damaged one is almost normal, except for certain frequencies. By normal I mean normal hearing thresholds. I developed tinnitus slowly, over a period of maybe 1 to 2 years after the acoustic trauma. I first had this hissing or static background noise before it became tonal. Something did change for sure, and it did so over a long time.

In fact, I only stated December 2016 as my time of tinnitus onset after it became tonal. It may sound dumb... but before that... I didn't even know I had tinnitus! I had been experiencing those static or hiss noises though, but they hardly bothered me at all, and I never gave it much thought, nor did I suspect that this could be tinnitus.

As for liberality, it's probably not bilateral when you experience it in the head. That would be medial. For me, I started having episodes of tonal tinnitus in one ear... the more damaged one. Before it became medial or what is called central tinnitus. So it went all the way up to the head.

I sometimes get fleeting tinnitus and I can experience it in the left ear or the opposite ear. The worst is when it seems like a bullet goes through my head. I get these moments where it strikes one ear and then goes out the other one. It's like hiss at first in my left ear, then it becomes tonal, passes through my head, stays in the right ear while the left ear turns to a hiss again. It lasts for a few seconds and then goes back to its base level and state.

This laterality in tinnitus is confusing... I'm not sure what to make of it. But this is something that should be followed up on and investigated. I know I'm not the first one to experience this type of thing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I started with one side now both :/

You make a good point. For me it started in one side. Then a year later it crawled over the next side ( thus now in my head?). Same thing happened to my mother. She has T for as long as she can remember. She used to to get vertigo attacks and the T came along. Started out as one sided. Now she has it in both (her head?).

So I do think that yes regeneration of hair cells and synaptic nerves can help with T, my theory is that they can repair the damage (some of it at least) then the brain would have to re-learn to use the new pathways established thus can reduce T overall (maybe eliminate it).

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Recovering auditory capacity seems to be the best start to alleviate or eliminate tinnitus. People with hearing loss usually improve their tinnitus by means of hearing aids simply because of the phenomenon of external sound shifting. On the other hand it is possible that the neurons in receiving the information that they stopped receiving modify their behavior and tend to their original state.And it is also possible that tinnitus has to be addressed in a multidisciplinary way, but it will certainly be much easier to decrease or eliminate tinnitus with a good hearing than with incorrect hearing that was the cause of tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, it is as if it somehow crawls up from the ears to the brain. Even tinnitus researchers say the same thing. They say that they know that tinnitus often starts out in the ear or ears, and then somehow gets manifested in the brain. The story is the same for many. But not all people with tinnitus. For example it may be only in one ear for some people, while for others it may be in both ears at onset. Then you have that strange behavior where it can shift from one ear to the other. What's that about anyway?... They need to start disseminating these different aspects of tinnitus and try to make some sense out of it.

That's the general idea, yes. Many people are still skeptical about this, myself included. But we shall see soon enough.

Agreed! At least we will learn from this, maybe gather some new and important insights.

That may be, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

This I believe is a must!

Well, noise induced hearing loss is a very common cause of tinnitus. It is often accompanied with hearing loss. But hearing loss alone may not be what triggers it, there may be some additional ingredient required like stress or anxiety. When you are anxious your entire system is on high alert. That may be what causes the brain to perceive the tinnitus, and once it has registered the tinnitus, it can no longer let go of it.

Also, following my own experience, I would advise anyone who has been feeling fatigued for a long time to check their hearing. I believe that my accumulated hearing loss is what has caused my feelings of fatigue. This was all happening some time before I developed tinnitus, and before the acoustic trauma. Those last events may be what tipped the system over into disarray. So check your hearing people! Even if you don't have tinnitus or don't think you have hearing loss.

Ultimately, there is a physiological explanation to why people develop tinnitus. The problem is that we don't know what exactly causes it. Many different mechanisms seem to be involved, so it is difficult to get to grips with it. Not to mention the lack of research funds. But the hair cells are a given therapeutic target.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Any recent news or timelines from companies starting clinical trials or when they plan on coming out with a cure for hearing loss?

From reading through this thread, it appears about 5 companies should start trials in 2020? Is that right?

Hard to follow what is going on and what the timeframes are, so would hope anyone could point me in the right direction.

25. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Frequency therapeutics - should be going into clinical trials within the next 12-18 months

Acousia therapeutics (search REGAIN on google) - Start in September

Genvec - are already in trials I think (Gene therapy)

Not sure about Otonomy but news regarding their tinnitus candidate drug OTO-311 should be available in September (they passed phase one for safety)

• Like Like x 2
    26. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
    27. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      50000 for peace and quiet SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    28. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      There are many people who would be happy to pay 50.000$ for a reliable treatment, including me.

The market is huge.
      That there is no treatment available, really shows that there is nothing.
      That there is only a couple of millions being invested each year, shows that there is no fantasy in the analyst minds how to get a piece of that market.

I for myself would be highly pessimistic, if I hadn't seen the good results of trobalt here on this website survey.
      I really hope that the quite little effort put into deriving something really useful from trobalt is leading somewhere.
      Fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      Yes, totally agree, 50,000 is nothing to get you life back
      I would transfer the money immediately if there was a possibility for a treatment.

The best option for a "new trobalt" is 1OP-2198 right ?

30. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes but it's being developed for epilepsy, more potent with fewer side effects (hopefully won't turn you blue and give you milky man tits).

If it's going to be for T it would be off label use.