Is It Tinnitus? Low Hum — I'm Very Worried

Discussion in 'Support' started by unknownpleasures, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      It was oxynase. It’s not something that can be used often, as it causes rebound sinus congestion after a couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all. So I've just come out my hearing test. The lady that was doing th etest was great and very comforting. When I explained my symptoms she said it seems to be tinnitus and I'd have to see what the results come back with. The doctor is going to call me tomorrow to discuss the results. Do you think I should press for an ENT appointment. I'm a bit disorientated at the moment as I just don't know what to think. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The lady doing the test also thinks that it's more in my brain than ears and could also be related to the amount of stress I have been under lately. She also thinks it's coincidence rather than cause of impacted wax and subsequent removal.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Can you post your audiogram in here? (blank out any personal info)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. I wasn't given anything after the test. I was asked to make an appointment with my doctor but due to work they said they would arrange for him to call me to discuss. How do I go about getting a copy?

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Ask for it (to whoever administered the hearing test to you).

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks I'll ask my GP tomorrow.

7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's sad that they don't understand. They won't even try to really find out what's going on and of course not be able to do anything about it anyway.

I can't speak for others but I know that the hum I have is not regular tinnitus. It functions and expresses itself independently from it. It's a mechanical issue going on caused by the middle ear muscles and as such things such as ETs and trigeminal nerves are in play too due to the fact muscles like the tensor tympani are involved with ET ventilation and is innervated by the trigeminal nerve.

My theory is that these muscles and nerves become hypersensitive after noise exposures/acoustic shocks, get irritated, become in an almost constant state of readiness to protect the ear against noise, that it becomes essentially ingrained/hardwired into the autonomic nervous system. So there might be some dysfunctional nerve impulses to the tensor tympani and it becomes the default functioning. I've come to this idea based on my own personal experiences and observations.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Some very interesting points there and I can already relate to a fair bit of that.

I'm at a partial loss to what I think caused mine and as it is so early, whether it will improve. I will see what the doctor says later today when he calls me.

The last two days I'm feeling so tired despite sleeping very well. I got some magnesium glycinate yesterday and think that helped me sleep better last night. On the second day of turmeric and curcumin today as well. I have been very down and have drunk more alcohol more than I would normally to try and help with the stress ( I know deep down it's bad). Today I have promised myself to cut down on the alcohol, take my supplements and get rest and some relaxation where possible.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Gman. Literally just had the call from the docs and the results confirm that I have very good hearing and there are no issues with that. I asked if I could see an ENT and the doctor said it is a possibility but they will only tell me how to live with it (From what I have read here there seems to be more they can look at). I did say that it seems more coming from my head than ears and he did state any sound you hear that is not there in the real world is classed as tinnitus.

I am hoping that it may pass and could be due to the olive oil, removal and stress I have been under but like a lot of people, I think the worst in these situations.

If anyone else has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

10. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Does yours sound like a low rumble, like at 50-60 Hz in tone? Does it pulsate at times, and when aggravated gets intense with a more continuous sound and more feeling it physically in the ear?

Does coming back from driving make it worse, or putting an earplug in the ear and taking it out shortly after exacerbate it?

Can you stop it momentarily by humming low or talking, and then it picks right back up?

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh well. At least you tried. They’re so limited in their understanding and willingness to find out what the mechanical issue is. It’s much easier for them to class it as subjective tinnitus - which it isn’t. I’m not wasting any more money on this pathetic medical/big pharma industry.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Shasta,

I don't really hear it much when outside or in a car.

I haven't put an earplug in as don't want to make anything worse.

External noise does seem to mask it.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks mate.

I understand your frustrations already, even being this new to all this.

I now have a fairly low high pitched noise/static feeling in the ear as well as the hum when things are quiet. I am wondering if it's the turmeric which I have never had problems with before, the magnesium I have just started taking which is really helping with sleep after two day, stress due to the other noise or because I am drinking more alcohol due to the stress. Sorry to vent, I just haven't a clue right now.

14. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Hello,

I think recent tinnitus can totally disappear, but you need to stop focusing on it, and your brain might just delete it.

My best advice, if you are really anxious even more, would be to stop going on this forum or any and stop thinking about it or "listening" to it.
      A very good way to forget it is to watch TV, or even better, play video games. A guy I know had tinnitus for 4 days, was super anxious, and then did that and in a Week the tinnitus was gone.

You can also take some magnesium supplement, which help with anxiety and tinnitus.

But you need to not focus on it, and let it go. Don't worry about it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much.
      Hello.

Thanks so much. I had a tear in my eye when I read your response, I have been getting down seriously over this, obsessing, reading the forum too much and searching for cures online. I am gonna have a break for a bit and gonna try and play some video games when I finish work and will try and stop hyper-focusing on it as I have been doing that so much.

I also started on magnesium glycinate two days ago :)

Thanks so much, again.

16. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      There's a difference between normal tinnitus, from some type of Auditory damage and in your "brain", and a pulsating type of vibrating hum tinnitus that isn't consistent in rhythm and/or gets exasperated by certain actions. There are sometimes aspects beyond what we currently know that can be causing it and potentially fixed.
      Does it sound louder/feel more intense after you turn car off and sit in car for a second?

In silence does talking or humming remove the low hum?

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all. Just a quick update as I'm gonna focus on relaxing today. I saw a second doctor yesterday and he is more to do with ENT related stuff.

He looked at my audiogram and said my hearing is great overall but there is a difference between my two ears that means the left one that had the wax in is not hearing a well as the right. He also thinks due to this an inflammation that its playing havoc with sound signals hence the low rumble and now static TV sound.

He said to give it some time to settle and avoid alcohol, rest, relax and sleep well etc.

He has prescribed lorazepam as I've been very anxious and think it could makes things worse - What are your thoughts on all of this?

I'm not staying in the forum too much today and need ro focus and distract myself for a bit but will pop on later. Hope you are all having a good weekend.

18. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've just discovered that brown noise helps to dampen down my low hum slightly. Enough to make it more bearable since it's flared up again lately.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks so much. I will give this a try. Last night I had low and high pitched noise and didn't sleep at all. I'm really struggling at the moment, so I'm willing to try anything.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I find other low end noise masks it.

Silence seems to bring it on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @unknownpleasures
      I feel like we may have the same type of tinnitus.
      3 years ago, I was cleaning my bathroom and I thought my husband had left the clothes dryer on. No he hadn’t, there was a low humming noise in my head.
      It came and went over the course of the week and has stayed away.
      I first noticed during my hearing test that when I had the ear muffs on, the hum was gone. I tried this at home and same result.
      As the weeks went on, I noticed a high pitch hiss developing, I remember asking the audiologist if it was normal to hear some noise in your head! Lol.
      It developed into what it is today. A hiss that is mild, but mild- moderate at night.
      I tried to figure out the cause -
      1 month post partum delivering twins (hormones)
      Ototoxicity from IV fentanyl, spinal block or IV antibiotics
      Fluoxetine - started this AD after the hum started but before the hiss.

My tinnitus responds well to Curcumin, fluctuates with my hormones.

What SSRI are you on? Any recent medication prior to the tinnitus onset?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Samantha R

Thanks so much for message.

Sounds very similar to mine indeed.

Mine started around the time I got some impacted wax in my ears. And then returned when the wax was removed. Started with the low hum like you described and now this high pitched old static TV noise.

I've been on paxil for over 20 years on a very small dose and not had issues. Also took some naproxen about a week and a half for a gout flare up but never had any issue with this before.

I'm being told it's due to my hear being good but slightly different in each ear and some kind of inflammation due to the wax/removal.

I was laid I'd bed with this noise in my head all last night with so many dark thoughts in my head. I'm sorry to say I broke down in from of a my wife and told her that I can't cope and feel suicidal due to this. I just don't know what to do.

I'm taking turmeric with curcumin and ginger in, b12 and already take high levels of omega 3.

If anyone has any coping tips that would be great. I feel like I'm about to lose everything due to this and don't know what to do.

23. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You need to slow down. You are way early into this and many have experienced similar or same. I've had it 6 weeks and the low end fluctuates. I've pulled the refrigerator out, unplugged it, turned off the AC, searched all over for the noise.

You need to understand what you're experiencing right at this moment will not be permanent. Even IF (and I doubt it) your sound stays with you forever, many get to the point where the sound doesn't cause them emotional distress - it's just a sound their body makes, just like cracking your knuckles or something. But for the majority, their sound changes and lessens.

You're going to get through this but you need to know it's going to take real time. Months.

What is SUPER important is that you get sleep, which is very hard to do. If your doc can get you something to help with sleep it will do wonders for your mindset in this fragile time.

Secondly you need to eat. If you get those two aspects under control - food and sleep - you will be more competent at the waiting game.

White noise machine, bathroom fan, ceiling fan, radio, tv, etc. Will help to some degree. Taking walks outside in nature will help.

This is a very slow game. That's what stinks. But you're going to get in a better head space I guarantee it.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Thank you so much. This post has given me so much hope. I even read this to my wife and said it had made me feel better.

After reading your response, I am doing my best to focus on the points you raised as they are so valid and helpful. Thank you so much.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have another docs appointment later today and wondered if it is worth asking for prednisone. I have been reading it may help in the early stages. The last doc I saw didn't think it would help but wondered what you guys thought.

26. Racehorse

Racehorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      Just plug your ears to see if it is from outside source. Come on now!!

27. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Prescribed to be taken how often exactly and for how long? I know that different people have different experience with lorazepam, but if you take it every day for more than few weeks to few months (it depends) it could be difficult to stop. Did he tell you to take it every day or as needed?

28. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It's so weird. My low end hum has gotten more active lately. Very bothersome. Reading this is so interesting that we all have the same thing going on.

If any of us find a cure for this low end stuff we have to let each other know.

Mine comes and goes but is staying more often lately.

29. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys,

I have the low hum as well. It's actually gotten much more quiet during the last week, and I had it in 2016, 2017 too, but subsided. Can I ask you if yours stop when you put your finger in the buzzing ear or when covering your ear tightly? Mine does, but it doesn't if I put earplugs in it. It's so weird and drives me crazy.

30. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I also have this vibrating low hum as well. Mine is not 24/7 though, it comes and goes and I would estimate I have it only about 10-15% of the time (unlike my regular tinnitus that is 24/7). Mine can be both felt and heard and it also stops if I put my finger in my ear. I don't know what it is, cause it's certainly does not behave like regular tinnitus.

I listen to this track when I have the hum and it stops it completely! Every now and then it also has a lasting effect, after listening to it for a couple of hours which is a relief. Maybe it could help you too:

Starship Sleeping Quarters | Sleep Sounds...