I've Habituated, Not Surrendered — I No Longer Monitor My Tinnitus or Think About It

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Ruth Gil, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      My 3 year anniversary is near and the tinnitus isn't gone (but it is extremely mild).

I've habituated. Tinnitus is just not a part of my day-to-day life anymore. I do still take care of my ears by avoiding loud sounds like the plague and I haven't worn headphones in years.

I went from monitoring my tinnitus every 2 minutes and thinking about it every 5 seconds to not thinking about it for MONTHS (that's right, not even at night) and I could count on one hand the times I've monitored it in the past year.

That being said, I haven't given up and definitely haven't conformed. I still hope that they'll eventually find a cure. In the mean time, I'll be busy not letting this thing rule my life while I wait for the cure alongside you guys <3

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Extremely mild is great, @Ruth Gil - well done!

Can you tell us what it was like in the beginning and how it changed over time?

3. Simon85

Simon85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Thanks for coming back to share your story. It’s very encouraging to hear others doing well years later.

4. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? Autoimmune, daily headaches, Ibuprofin, BP meds, Virus?
      How did you get tinnitus? Was it severe? Bilateral? More info please.

• Agree Agree x 2