I've Habituated, Not Surrendered — I No Longer Monitor My Tinnitus or Think About It

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Ruth Gil, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      My 3 year anniversary is near and the tinnitus isn't gone (but it is extremely mild).

I've habituated. Tinnitus is just not a part of my day-to-day life anymore. I do still take care of my ears by avoiding loud sounds like the plague and I haven't worn headphones in years.

I went from monitoring my tinnitus every 2 minutes and thinking about it every 5 seconds to not thinking about it for MONTHS (that's right, not even at night) and I could count on one hand the times I've monitored it in the past year.

That being said, I haven't given up and definitely haven't conformed. I still hope that they'll eventually find a cure. In the mean time, I'll be busy not letting this thing rule my life while I wait for the cure alongside you guys <3

• Like x 12
      • Winner x 9
      • Optimistic x 4
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
    2. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Extremely mild is great, @Ruth Gil - well done!

Can you tell us what it was like in the beginning and how it changed over time?

• Like Like x 2
    3. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Thanks for coming back to share your story. It’s very encouraging to hear others doing well years later.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      How did you get tinnitus? Was it severe? Bilateral? More info please.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      It started as a moderately loud 'eeeeee' noise in one ear, then it moved to both. Over time, it constantly changed from ringing, to hissing, to screeching, then eventually (about 6 months after I initially noticed it) it changed to a quiet dial tone-like noise accompanied by an even quieter TV static noise, and has stayed that way ever since. I experienced a 2 day long spike recently after going to a gig without my ear protection but it's back to baseline now.

• Like Like x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      I've been dealing with sinus infections for years plus I do have a history of listening to loud music through earbuds, so it was probably one of those. The first day I noticed it, it was unilateral but soon affected the other ear, and has stayed bilateral ever since. It started pretty loud but became mild after a couple months.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @Ruth Gil, so even though you can describe it with confidence (dial tone and static), it sounds as if it is not even there (since you can go months without even thinking about it) - is that correct? Sounds great.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. innergflow

innergflow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/23/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ruth Gil, currently dealing with a spike in my right ear.

Your story is almost identical as mine. 14 months ago it started in one ear after acoustic trauma and then within a week it switched to both ears. Eventually after a few months I was able to habituate and didn’t even think about it anymore. Then just out of nowhere on Monday I woke up with fullness in my right ear and a much louder tinnitus.

The fullness is gone but the ringing is still louder and I’m just trying to stay positive.

i hope you continue to feel great. Good luck.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      Do you think something noise-related could've triggered this spike? Have you ever experienced a spike like this before?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      Correct, I don't check it often. Before replying to you, I actually had to cover my ears and pay attention in order to confirm it has stayed that way because I hadn't checked in so long.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I count it a success if I can go for an hour without thinking of mine. Which is still pretty awesome compared to thinking about it every minute. Baby steps.

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      Congrats! I remember going through the same transition: every other minute, to an hour, to a couple of hours, to days, to weeks and so on. You will get there.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Update: I still notice my tinnitus every 5 or 10 minutes as it is generally either very reactive or quite loud. Right now I'm in a spike from two weeks ago when my daughter screamed a greeting out the car window at her friend walking past. It had been barely noticeable for the previous year. But it doesn't upset me like it used to, although it has worsened again. Yes it can be annoying and interfere with my enjoyment of music, but instead of being back at square one, I feel I understand it better and I know it will continue to come and go within the same broad parameters if I take the right precautions. Best of all, it doesn't disturb my sleep any more. I'm off my meds and I've learned to slow down and control my breathing, which is giving me my best sleep in years.

So I'd say the goal is not to stop noticing your tinnitus. It's to notice it, but not to feel defeated by it.

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Congrats! @Ruth Gil, how bad was the tinnitus in the beginning compared to now?

15. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      So basically, even when you hear the tinnitus reacting to noise, it doesn’t really bother you at all? If so, then that’s great. I just don’t hear many comments about people being able to handle severe intrusive tinnitus very well. I know people can definitely habituate to mild or even moderate tinnitus but I usually don’t hear anything positive about living with severe intrusive tinnitus, I mean it’s really hard to live with and I understand why people get suicidal over it but yea sometimes seeing the suicide stories can be a real downer because I’m stuck living with this condition that some people end their lives over since there’s no real treatment right now.

I also got a question for you. Have you ever considered that the reason your tinnitus doesn’t bother you is because you had a year of it being quiet? If your tinnitus had remained severe and reactive instead o getting much quieter, do you think you would still be able to deal with the reactivity and not let it bother you?

My tinnitus has been very reactive for 3 years now. Sometimes it’s not as loud but it’s always been reactive since 3 years ago.

How did you get your tinnitus to become quiet for a year? I’m still trying to figure out why some people’s reactive tinnitus goes away, while others like myself end up with it permanently. I wonder if improvement in severity has to do with what the cause is. Not sure if it makes a difference but I believe I got mine from some kind of ear infection while recovering from a cold 3 years ago, and boom! My mild tinnitus at the time suddenly became very severe and reactive and has been that way ever since. It probably doesn’t help that I was born with severe hearing loss but I did read of a deaf girl who had really bad tinnitus but her reactivity went away so I guess it’s possible even for some deaf people.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Good question. I think if my tinnitus was constantly loud and only getting louder, that would be hard. But because I've experienced periods of quieter tinnitus too, I'm able to take the long view.
      Mainly by giving up live music and headphone use, and by working from home. Basically being a hermit! I've slowly been starting to venture out and about again, and my baseline has increased. But it's a balancing act. I've been to a handful of small scale concerts and coped ok with those. I hope I'm going to find the right balance.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I live just fine/happily with ~60 dB (can't hear some speech over it) multi-tonal tinnitus that spikes permanently every couple of weeks. Only reason why I'm here is because the reactivity improved from spiking permanently from drinking water and chewing food to not spiking for weeks, even when my work requires me to speak all day.

• Like Like x 4
    18. Hamsti

Hamsti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything, I suppose. Stress, high cholesterol, TMJ...
      Mine is similar to yours and it gets worse. Tell me your secret. :D

19. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Just dealing with it I guess. If things go awry, I can always try XEN1101 or Susan Shore.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      When is Dr. Shore's device supposed to come?

• Like Like x 2
    21. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      From my calculations - most likely within 1-1.5 years. Most likely spring 2024.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In the United States?

23. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused