Ketamine Relieves Depression by Restoring Brain Connections

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Nic B, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Michael Sullivan
      Breezy

Michael Sullivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Hahahaha I love that line.
      It is good to hear that it really isn't as big of a deal as I thought wearing earplugs in public was. Yeah most people neglect their hearing health until they have a problem. I used to listen to loud music through ear buds but have stopped. I'll be careful and I am going to invest in some custom earplugs. Yeah the T is starting to bother me less.

As far as headphone use goes, Is it a good idea to use Noise canceling headphones like Bose Quiet Comfort 35 and at a soft volume? The headphones supposedly lower 20 decibels of sound and are the best on the market. Like when I'm at the gym I rather wear those then wear nothing. I could even use them and play no music if I wanted. I read that headphone use is a bad idea if you have noise induced T which is me.

2. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      I have noise cancelling headphones at work but never have the noise canceling functionality activated. The reason is that there is a thread here somewhere on the forum where a lot of people reporting getting their T after using them. There is no study that confirms this but when you think about how noise canceling works then it can makes sense that it might damage your hearing. The head phones play counter sounds waves which makes it quiet but there is still sound waves going on. So, to be sure, don't use the noise cancelling function.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Yep, got my tinnitus from my Bose headphones.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Has anyone experienced relief from low dose ketamine infusions? Clinics are opening up all over the US to treat depression and chronic pain, and I've read the treatments can help tinnitus. It's confusing because most of what I read about ketamine is that it causes tinnitus.

6. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Looks like am101 to me, isn't it? Esketamine

8. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      No... the compound is called ketamine and they are injecting it intravenous (directly in your veins). AM101 is called esketamine and is injected into the middle ear.

This is also explained on the clinicaltrails.gov page I provided with the link... please read first...

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      Yes I only use my phone speaker with a noise cancellation app, the white noise. I only put it in low volume near my pillow it cancels the sound and puts me to sleep like a baby, and after that the app shuts itself down after like 15 to 20 minutes.

10. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Isn’t the counter sound outside the hearing range? I use mine all the time and haven’t noticed an increase in my T or any adverse effect. I keep my volume low though because of the cancellation effect.

11. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      A while back I had to take ketamine in the hospital. It's a mind-blowing drug but now that I think of it, my T didn't seem to bother me for the next week. Granted, I was also being injected with morphine that week and had other things to worry about, but I never really thought about it. Now I wish I'd known to actively watch out for if it had an effect on my T or not. I would NOT recommend taking this drug unless you're hooked up a machine and had a doctor by your side like I did.

12. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Sounds very interesting. A psychiatrist friend knows a doctor in Tampa who has a license to fool around with Ketamine. Anything I should ask about?

13. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
      Hello forum,
      has anyone here tried ketamine therapy? From what I read it seems to be more effective when used before one year has passed.[1][2][3]
      I am considering the the therapy offered by Arizona Ketamine Treatment & Research Institute in USA.[1]
      It seems like the same therapy is used for depression. And that seems to be offered all over the US and in Europe.[4]
      There is one trial I know of where ketamin is used. [5] And another where esketamin is used.[6]

1 http://arizonaketamine.com/tinnitus-treatment-ketamine/
      2 https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/43843/title/The-Sounds-of-Silence/
      3 https://labiotech.eu/hearing-loss-tinnitus-vertigo-auris-medical/
      4 http://nyketamine.com/depression/contact-us/
      5 https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03336398
      6 http://ir.aurismedical.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=253572&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2318777

14. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This right here piques my curiosity, and I happen to live in Arizona as well. Hmmmm....

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      This treatment was brought up to me recently. I thought the cost was $600 for a 45 minute ketamine IV. I never met with the Dr. though for the specifics. Not covered by insurance as far as I know.

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Minnesota Ketamine Clinic For Depression,...

This is the Dr. I was talking about. First time I've seen this video. I've been to this office to see other Dr.'s, but never met this Dr. so far. I am somewhat more interested now. I wonder if you have to buy a package of treatments or if you can purchase individual ones?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    17. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      After suffering from depression for years, my niece had it done last year. Initially, the doctor said about six treatments is the average to achieve lasting improvement. However, after six treatments, she still lapsed back into depression. The doctor then recommended two more. Since the additional treatments, she's been doing very well. That was four months ago.

The doctor also stated that she can get additional treatments in the future if necessary.

Unfortunately, the treatments, which were $500 each, were not covered by her insurance.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    18. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
      I was at a ketamine clinic yesterday, but just before we started the infusion I stopped the therapy. I am afraid of getting addicted and afraid it would change me. I've seen drug addicts that seem to live in their own world. I don't want to end up like that.
      But... I also don't want to have this ringing in my ears, with the fatigue and depression that comes with it, for the rest of my life. I wish more was known about the therapy. Has anyone any stories to tell?

19. AZmom
      Buzzed

AZmom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly caused by anti-inflammatory medicine
      I have been taking my daughter to Ketamine treatments for over a year. After the initial several treatments in a 2 week period, we do one treatment a month. Ketamine treatments have been one of the only things that work for her depression. She has never mentioned that she felt like she was addicted. Yet she has felt addicted to some of the other type of meds for depression and anxiety. She said it has saved her life. Good luck to you.

20. AZmom
      Buzzed

AZmom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly caused by anti-inflammatory medicine
      I have been taking my daughter to Ketamine treatments for over a year to the Ketamine Wellness Centers in Mesa, AZ. After the initial several treatments in a 2 week period, we do one treatment a month. Ketamine treatments have been one of the only things that work for her depression. She said it has saved her life.

• Like Like x 1
    21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Minnesota Ketamine clinic charges $600 per treatment. I asked him if it would help tinnitus and he said that he doesn't know as he has never treated anyone for that. I think $300 per treatment would be enough to charge. He said Ketamine substance itself is dirt cheap. I suppose $600 or so is the going rate with the IV, monitoring, etc. He said he has to eat too, haha, just kidding.

You need to have a driver after your treatment. I thought he said that you are a bit groggy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    22. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
      So I scheduled another another appointment. I hope I dare go through with it this time. It can't be that dangerous right? And the payoff, if it works, is huge :)

23. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
      So I am supposed to go tomorrow...

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please let us know about your experience if you go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It worked wonders for my niece! She's doing so well now after years of depression and not improving after trying a variety of AD's. See my previous post above.

She did experience some light-headedness after the treatments. No severe reactions at all. You should have someone with you that can drive you home afterwards.

Good luck!....(y)

26. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
      Thank you jimH. I am happy for your niece. My best friend will be there and follow me home. My biggest worry is that the ketamine could give me some form of brain damage, change my personality or make my psychotic for life. But I reason that they do give ketamine to healthy voluntaries for experiments and they wouldn't do that if the side effects are that severe.

27. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Aaron123 @attheedgeofscience What are your thoughts on this trial?
      @HomeoHebbian
      This is the first I knew about it. Completion date 2022 though... to see if it works on 40 people, you'll think they could do it faster if they really thought it would work.

28. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
      Hi. I emailed the physician and she said she felt that I was not ready for the therapy. I could contact her again after I've spoken with my psychologist again. So... I guess I will do that.

29. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
    30. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm curious too! I wish someone who had experience with this would post. I wonder if the ketamine works for people with significant hearing loss or if it's just suited for those with mild anxiety related tinnitus.