Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      The issue is they are holding the data away from people and selling a medical device for nearly 3 grand and saying "no refunds!" as well. If the device doesn’t even help you in the slightest, or makes your tinnitus worse, you’re basically flushing thousands of dollars down the toilet.

Desyncra was a quick kick in the balls. They got your 5 grand, said "no refunds!" and took off with your money in a quick cash grab.

We’ve been duped before in the tinnitus community. Your argument is correct but it’s the customer who loses in the end, to the exact same subjective ignorance Neuromod have.

You lose thousands, they don’t, they get your money regardless. This of course would be different if they published concrete data.

• Like Like x 1
    2. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Feel free to clarify. The thread seemed to be veering into "you guys are craaaazeeey for buying into it" and that's the sentiment I'm responding to.

In which case the path to take would be wait-and-see. But there will be those who gamble and that's their prerogative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      They have published data before, though not a big sample size. You always have the option to wait for the data to come out before you try the device.

But let's think about it in another way.
      The data that will come out at one point. What if the results were to be similar to the current results, or let's say worse. Let's say 50% got a reduction rather than 86%.

Would that stop you from trying the device? I think not.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Rio80

Rio80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis + Neurotoxicity
      Was not aware of that. Good to know. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    5. Rio80

Rio80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not home for several days but I remember it was 40-60 dB on the lower frequencies and 60-90 dB on the higher. With left ear performing worse than the right.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah but what if 3% of people had a permanent worsening?

My pessimistic random speculation about what's hidden in the data they have not published, is just as reasonable as your rose-tinted view.

The number of people who want to fall on a dagger here to defend the right of a for-profit company to work in secrecy is hilarious to me. Haven't we learned anything from the last 50 years of tinnitus treatment efforts?

I want these techs to work as much as anyone and I tend to be fairly bullish on them because I used the UMich device and wish I owned one, but I have no illusions about the motivations of various actors, or the realities of various timelines. I want Lenire to work and have few side effects; if that's the case, and if they truly have a 500-person cohort that would demonstrate that in a way which would withstand peer review... they why haven't they published that?

I also note that UMich appears to be completely ignoring Lenire, as in, not doing anything to their own timelines in response... which is more or less what I'd expect from a legitimate, science-based research apparatus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Do you also remember if you had an air-bone gap?

8. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      ...oooooorrrr what you'd expect from someone who feels no sense of urgency because...tenure.

giphy.gif

Pick your poison. Take a risk on something you can try now or wait for Godot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Correct, but that was an in-house review, and IIRC they even took that down when it was leaked ASAP.

What matters is if other institutions peer review that data to confirm the results.

The peer review is complete, is it not? They could do us a solid while we wait and show us what other institutions found.

It’s a possibility Neuromod doesn’t want us to see it because the peer reviewers didn’t have favourable conclusions on the results.

Exactly, we have been lied to before by these private companies. I want this device to work just as much as the next guy. But we have had massive cash grabs come at us many times over the decades.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Rio80

Rio80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If that's the same thing as bone conduction, part of the test it tested out at 20-40 dB.

11. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Gabriel, I don’t want to hijack the thread too badly, but I’m obviously looking at it with a different view than yours, that’s all. If you sell a product it should be PRODUCTive. If it was 5 0r 10 grand with no results would that be acceptable as well? Where is the line drawn?

I guess the point is patients should get results for their money, just like when I returned my 30 dollar Ring Ease bottle or whatever it was to the pharmacy for a refund. Didn’t work, no questions asked. If this device worked, no one would return it for fear of it coming back, it’s tailored to them.

Too many doctors and companies get away with robbery. I just hope this one is busy collecting data and making tweaks to their device to make it more effective. I have to believe they are with this forum keeping a close eye.

12. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I would ask a couple of questions:

Why in the testimonies movies they published there are no real success stories like complete cure of tinnitus?

Why do they claim only 66% success rate and not 80-90%?

Why do they reject many patients with hearing loss? They could earn money from them.

Why don't they accept as many people as possible in 2019 maximizing their profit?

All of this makes them a legit company in my view.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Neuromod could have released a pre-print version of the paper with the results. This is a standard in physics and mathematics (arXiv). Or they could have presented the paper at a conference and published a short version in the conference proceedings/online, while waiting for the full paper review. This is done often in engineering.

Perhaps they don't want to put out IP early but now that the device is out it wouldn't be hard for a competitor to acquire one and try to reverse-engineer the method.

Why not publish a pre-print version of the peer review paper? Even if it is rejected, it can be amended and submitted to another journal.

If they are confident they could really come out with it.

14. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So when are you trying Lenire GlennS?

15. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's probably not as silly as it sounds. Far as I can tell that's exactly what this device it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Annpann

Annpann Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I am travelling to the Hermitage Clinic on 11th October and am looking at the Airport Hopper.

Has anyone used this bus service? If I travel to the N4 footbridge, is it a long walk from there?

I am sure someone posted before but I cannot find the post. I would be grateful for any advice as I intend to book tickets in advance.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never said they weren't "legitimate". For what it's worth, my gut read is that they believe in their tech and are trying to help people.

That said, if they have truly conducted a longitudinal, 500-sample study which has withstood peer review and supports their marketing language with no reservations... then where's the peer reviewed paper in a real journal? This isn't a specific dig at Leniere, it's a dig at anyone who puts profit and product ahead of proof and prudence.

When they were a smaller company backed mostly by a couple angels with tinnitus, they had access to a runway that they no longer have, because they have taken normalized VC dollars and now they have to ride that forward towards profitability. Again, this doesn't mean they're disingenuous, lying, or even necessarily that their data won't, ultimately, support their claims... but I'll believe it when I see it. Personally I have little problem throwing $5K at something that might not work, and the only things keeping me from booking a trip to Ireland are:
      * time
      * I got improvement with no initial worsening from the UMich device, as did everyone who got any improvement from the device. So, reports of initial worsening, even if temporary, concern me, and also make me think there may be some differences between these two technologies which we're not going to understand for a while.

*shrug* she's got tinnitus herself and in my handful of interactions with her she's been incredibly empathetic and expressed a strong desire to get a product on the market as soon as possible specifically because of what a huge unmet need it is for a bear of a chronic condition. If that's all an act, she's good at it, and that's probably all I've got to say on this until we have moar datas.

Let's not forget that this is partially out of Shore's own hands; at this point, wheels are turning, ink has been signed with a medical device manufacturer, etc. The pace of institution-backed science-based research tends to be slow, but with a lot of gravity behind it that causes it to tend to just stumble forward regardless of a a changing landscape around it.

• Like Like x 3
    18. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      6 weeks passed and nobody has anything positive to report... I think our euphoria has been dampened. It looks like it’s not that quick "cure" everybody was hoping for :(

So sad.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There are people here having their tinnitus quieter than pre-Lenire. Head to the User Experiences.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Nobody said this was a cure... And of course not a quick one...

Anyway, I am also somewhat disappointed, although it is still early.

• Agree Agree x 4
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not, it's the difference between bone conduction and air conduction. Try to post your audiogram when you get home: it'll be a lot easier to interpret (I hope).

22. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Anyone in Dublin tomorrow or on the 10th? Would love to grab a beer while I am in town!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Skinjob
      Batty

Skinjob Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 90s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bowie, The Chameleons, etc.
      I have stayed (mostly) silent on this thread because people who have had successful reduction or elimination of their tinnitus using bimodal stimulation (including @kelpiemsp) noticed no change until at least two months in. You are all suffering from premature expectations and impatience. I am distrustful of any early positive reports from my experience with my own remarkable placebo effect when I used Neuromonics 12 years ago. My tinnitus almost completely disappeared for a time and I was overjoyed. Then it came back. The placebo effect is a real thing. So is the nocebo effect.

This is slow going and everyone is going way too fast. It took months in @kelpiemsp's and @Clare B's cases. It's too early to be expecting anything at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Can someone remind me on - people with hyperacusis were on the clinical trials and some people who have purchased Lenire have hyperacusis?

25. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, people with hyperacusis participated in Neuromod's trials as well. Hyperacusis was defined as: "We defined hyperacusis as sound sensitivity to loudness discomfort levels (LDL) of 60 decibels sound level (dB SL) or less." - Ross O'Neill. (Question 4: "Is the treatment more effective on tinnitus, hyperacusis, or both?")

People with hyperacusis were also super-responders. "The response rates are over 90% in that group [meaning hyperacoustic people]. The levels of response that they are getting are twice what the rest of the people are getting." He also said: "So, the more hyperacoustic you are, the more responsive you are to this treatment, the more benefit you will get from it."

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Dizzyhead888

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      There is no secrecy my friend.

Neuromod CEO said "it will be published in 12 months" 9 months ago which was when the interview was done. So give it 3-6 months and it will be published. They just started the "follow up" phase, 9 months ago, and they follow up for up to a year.

They had the option to release the device early or wait for the results to be released. Commercially it makes sense to release the device as soon as possible given possible competition down the road. So I was the CEO, I would have released this device. If someone is not satisfied with the old clinical trials and strictly wants to wait for the new results to be published, they have the option too.

What we learn from 50 years is to spot a scam. Scams are easy to spot. Not to waste our money on scams just because we are desperate. But this is completely not the same as trying a device scientifically evident to work. Now there is chance it works for you or not. If it works, there is a chance you get a significant reduction or a slight reduction. That's how life is and most medical treatments are. Antidepressants are known to work in some and not in others. Some had to try 2 or 3 antidepressants to find one that works for them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Dizzyhead888

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      I arrive at the 12th, will you be there?

28. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There have been positive reports. About three people so far, of those who have purchased the device rather than being in the original trials. Others saying it is too early to tell or no improval.

29. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I'll be there on the 10th, definitely up for a beer! I recall someone saying that the clinic is like a block away from a Guinness place, maybe we could head there to discuss our assessments. I'll be done around 16:00 Irish time, give or take.

30. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Agreed! Placebo effect is always enhanced by high expectations. That doesn't specifically mean that a device like Lenire doesn't work, but rather other factors are at play. The brain and body's perceptions tends to change when you receive treatment or think you are. This effect generally stabilizes and wears off after the first few months or so but can last several months or longer.

I will continue to be optimistic, see what happens the next 6-12 months, as by then we should have a good idea of the true outcome of this device. Until then debating over its effectiveness is pointless at this time.

• Agree Agree x 5