Literally in Tears: Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Got Way Worse Overnight

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sepat76, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Sepat76

Sepat76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      For context, 20, male - I got tinnitus and loudness hyperacusis about 4 years ago (pretty sure noise induced). Up until about last year, my hyperacusis and tinnitus got way better. Sure some noises still bothered me (e.g., sound of cutlery or tinny door closing) but overall, I could handle all sounds pretty well.

About 6 ish months ago, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and that loud ringing that I had grown so used to, was just barely audible, and that persisted, both the improvements in tinnitus and hyperacusis for months - I was really happy and both the tinnitus and hyperacusis was just an after thought, up until about 2 weeks ago, when overnight, I woke up the next morning to the loudest ringing I've ever heard and hyperacusis as bad as it was when I got it originally.

The sound of my own voice, tap running etc (especially in the morning) is really irritating. It's been two weeks since this has happened, the hyperacusis is still really bad, especially in the morning, and the tinnitus is just as loud.

I'm growing more and more anxious and suicidal as the days go on, wondering if this is ever going to get as good as it was again.

Crying as I write this. I had to quit my job today over this but I love my job so much.
      Life is just so unfair, I always think why me? And how much better my life would be without tinnitus and hyperacusis, and I can't believe that there's no treatment for it yet, for something so disabling.

I just really need some sort of hope or encouragement because I am just absolutely devastated over this. I had a uni course lined up and was about to move out of my parent's house. Things were looking so good. But now, I've had to quit my job, cease plans on moving out (because I won't be able to afford it anymore) and no uni either.

• Hug Hug x 17
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      That sounds really tough @Sepat76, sorry to hear that the tinnitus and hyperacusis made a reappearance. That it improved before is perhaps a sign that it can improve again.

Do you have any ideas why it reappeared, like catching a cold or going through some stress?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Sammy0225

Sammy0225 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19, ear infection, stress
      Any clue as to why you relapsed?

Did anything remotely loud happen? Maybe a grocery store visit or loud music? Did you go back to doing things normally?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      You need to protect yourself from loud sounds for the time being as (and I hate to say) this could still get worse.

No headphones, loud bars, nightclubs, cinemas, power tools etc for time being.

Use earplugs/earmuffs for sounds you even suspect are hurting your ears.

You can then reassess your position in several weeks.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      First and foremost please don't panic @Sepat76. I know it's easier said than done but it can exacerbate things. The nervous system will be on full alert with the panic and you need to calm it down.

Like the others have said, can you think of anything that may have set it off?

Uni worries?
      Life issues?
      Anxiety issues?

Protection is the way to go at the minute, it'll give the auditory system a break. Earmuffs, earplugs and even filtered ones will help you navigate through your current situation.

Keep the hope as things can improve, it just goes at a snail's pace :)

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I'm sorry you are going through this, at such a young age, and crucial moment in your life. Fortunately, things can improve. It is very important that you calm down and try to see things in perspective, in a very long run perspective.

I had severe hyperacusis, to the point that I was not able to shower without earplugs. My mum's voice was too loud and sometimes unbearable. Having lunch with family was unbearable due to odd noises, and clanking of dishes or cutlery. Moving a chair reverberated through my brain real loud. Needless to say, when I left home, anxiety was through the roof... I spent several years with severe hyperacusis and not using hearing protection, and I do NOT recommend that. Use hearing protection outside home; loud noise happens unexpectedly and can cause a bad setback.

Over the years (this was very slow) things changed and my hyperacusis decreased and hearing loss increased. In terms of quality of living, anxiety went down fast, as the severe stage of hyperacusis passed. I was able to do normal things again (except the super loud stuff like live music, power tools, etc), and function reasonably well, and work, and have a family etc.

Hang on and stop what you are doing, uni, job, plans of moving out. It is perfectly normal, and reasonable, to stop if you are not feeling well, and this will pay off in the long run, because your chances of recovery increase if you rest now. Find a comfortable space and understand hyperacusis improves only very slowly. Try to avoid bad quality sound, like music or videos played on a cellphone... ears do not like that. Do not sit in silence, but have sound around you all the time, in a controlled manner (use a Hi-Fi system and speakers, and never headphones for now). Listen to music you like, at a comfortable volume, try to exercise and go out at quiet places. When the weather gets warmer, go to the beach if this is possible for you. The sound of small waves is soothing. Try to be in nature. All this, and time, will help.

• Winner Winner x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    7. brixenbrixen
      In pain

brixenbrixen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      Please hang on - there will be changes - and try to adjust yourself with your mindset at the new situation - it is not easy - I am about one year in with a major worsening from one to ten massive tones - I call myself disabled now which was not easy to accept - I take the day and look where is the minimum of joy which I can get - that helps - I hope for you that times will get better.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. KazM
      Conehead

KazM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12th October 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury
      Although I am more sensitive to loud noise, I do not have hyperacusis so I can't advise you as well as @Juan has; you've been given some great advice from other members and all I can give is my care, concern, and support, follow the advice you've been given and hang in there, we care :huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sepat76

Sepat76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi guys, thank you for all the words of encouragement and support, it makes me so much happier.

For now yes, just taking it easy and am going to buy custom earplugs to wear out and about. I've dealt with this same situation before, and eventually as time went, it got better, as I mentioned earlier, so that's what I'm holding on to.

As for why I suddenly relapsed, I can't exactly pinpoint what caused it but I have a vague idea as to why it may have happened.
      • I'd been using a new pair of headphones (at lowest volume) for the past few weeks. They didn't seem to irritate my ears at the time. However, I won't be using them any more.
      • I got a job in phone repair in a shopping mall and had been working there for about a month (it can get loud at times). That didn't seem too irritating to my ears at the time.
      • I went to watch new year's fireworks display (with earplugs in). It didn't irritate me at all, with no change to tinnitus or hyperacusis that night.
      So I think I might have accumulated noise exposure up until the tipping point. However, the night before my relapse, I had to change my sleeping environment, new mattress and all, which was very uncomfortable. The fact that I'm sensitive to change might have contributed.

That day as well, I was very stressed at work, so this may have been a contributing factor. Lastly, both my shoulders and neck are very stiff and my family members say that I have a lot of ear wax in both my ears, so that may be a contributing factor as well, as far as my tinnitus goes.

The reason this has freaked me out so much is the fact that I hadn't been dealing with this for such as long time (almost a year) and it just had to come back with horrible timing.

All I hope is that in a couple months' time, I will be able to post in the success stories' section like I could have when I recovered last year (but I didn't know this site even existed).

Anyways, thanks for all the support and encouragement!

- Sepat76

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      When my tinnitus is loud, I often have very stiff shoulders and neck. I wouldn't be surprised if your flare up has to do with this and maybe your night's sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.

The stiff shoulder and neck are likely as a result of high anxiety and stress level. Try your best to relax and to do some relaxing activities, like leisurely walk, yoga, meditation etc. Don't worry about the hyperacusis. I had it twice and both times it faded away over time.

Take it easy. Things will improve. Give it time. God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Do not syringe your ears or use microsuction - that will likely make your tinnitus worse. There is a method of removal that is safer (using a curette).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sepat76

Sepat76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      I will look into that, and thanks for the warning.

14. Moni97
      Batty

Moni97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Whole life?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Sepat76, I’m so sorry you’re going through this, especially after recovering before. My hyperacusis hit me earlier this month and I’m still wrestling with my anxiety. But we’re all here for you! If you will have your earwax removed, I have seen a lot of threads on here suggesting that you should soften the wax about 7-10 days before. That helps make the removal easier and less likely to spike your tinnitus.

Hoping you recover soon!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    15. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      It's truly a classic catch 22. Calming down is what is needed, but its the tinnitus that makes us non calm. I know it's not easy to do, but take solace in the fact that it does change. If it went up, it will go back down. The reverse is also true of course, so really appreciate those good times, every single moment is a gift.

Don't hesitate to let your emotions have some release. Cry, kick, scream, call a suicide hotline, whatever it takes to let it out. After that, coping strategies are what will help. Stay physically active, go outside, ride a bike, take transit, look for ways to mask it, just keep moving. The human body is designed to be in movement.

Stay connected to people through shared interests, it helps. That's the life saving thing to remember, there are actually things that do help. Don't beat yourself up about quitting your job either. Jobs come and jobs go. I always told people that I had been looking for a job when I found that one, and I would be looking for one when I find the next one.

Tinnitus has changed my life. I am much more prone to "snap", sometimes over something small. That's because while my focus was kidnapped by the tinnitus, stressors were occurring under my conscious awareness. So that sudden snap was not really sudden, it had been building up and I just didn't know it.

I tend to feel better after coming to Tinnitus Talk. It makes me feel that I'm not all alone in this, and no one is judging me. Going to tinnitus self help groups did not work though. It made things worse.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. tiniturk
      No Mood

tiniturk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hope you’re better now!

17. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      @Sepat76, any updates? How are you now?

18. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Like most people who spike mildly once in 10 years, I'm sure he's adjusted and completely forgotten about it.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1