Little Things That Make Life Worth Living

Discussion in 'Support' started by Orions Pain, Feb 6, 2020.

1. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      As someone who lifted weight for years, I'm interested in what your pbs are in the big lifts and how much you weigh?

I gave up lifting a few years ago and honestly never want to see the inside of a gym ever again. That said, I now desperately need to do some exercise to lose weight.

2. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’m tall with long arms (6’3” but 84” wingspan) so I’ve never competed in a powerlifting meet, but @ 230, I hit 290 on bench, 385 x3 squat, 455 deadlift, 290 barbell clean, 175 x3 standing overhead press. When I was 21 I could split jerk 275, albeit with terrible form.

About a year and a half ago I ran a 4.55 40 yard dash and had a 36” vertical, but I haven’t sprinted or done plyometrics since last spring. I got into the accident in the summer and had to take 4 months off of everything.

3. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Good stuff.

I know you say that you are tall etc, but some of the biggest benchers and deadlifters are REALLY tall. Your lifts are similar to mine, but I am shorter and weighed 35 pounds less when I did mine (and i was 15 years older). Couldn't barbell clean as much though, but my deadlift was 473 at 190ish without a suit.

4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I used to watch ASMR videos. At first, I did not get what was good about them, they made me very irritated, like wanting to crawl out of my skin level annoyed. But then I started to warm up to them. Never experienced tingles, but I fell asleep listening to ASMR videos. I only liked basic stuff, like whispering, tapping, brushing, I still hate mouth sounds and when someone kisses or licks the mic. For me, that's really gross. Since tinnitus, I can't enjoy them anymore, because I don't use earbuds and on speaker it's not the same.

5. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If I trained deads more I have no doubt I’d break 500. It’s just not an enjoyable lift to me. Benching has always been my Achilles heel, could only bench 185x1 as a first-team all-conference safety. I’m shooting for 315 for reps by the end of the year, I came up with the perfect rep scheme for experienced high/volume+intensity lifters.

6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Some people are not capable of experiencing the soothing sensations from ASMR. They will just find them weird, annoying and/or even downright uncomfortable.

I generally cant predict which ASMR videos that will trigger the sensations for me. I mostly go for whispers, hand sounds, gentle mouth sounds and eating sounds, which from experience is my triggers, BUT it is not just about the sound, but very much about the person doing the ASMR. Some ASMR artists who do the mentioned sounds, don't do nothing for me, but when you find that artist that hits the sweet spot. Damn! The sensation is incredible... a waaaarm, slightly tingly, buzzy sensation running through my body and mostly into my head.
      Even better then any benzo or alcohol. I think this is the sensation that some drugs might give you, but ASMR is 0% harmful, soooo... It's a drug triggered by our own body's.

Just like with drugs one can develop tolerance to ASMR if used to often though. I generally have some favorite videos I go back to, but sometimes I have to take a break from one video because it will lose its effect. Usually it comes back though, but I am often on the outlook for new favorite videos, as the new ones gives of the strongest sensations... the sensations do wear of a bit over time when you've watched a particular video enough times... well, it does for me at least.

I listen only on speakers and it works fine for me. You don't get sensations with speakers?

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No. I need to listen to it quite loudly and it bothers me. Don't really know why. May I ask you who your favourite ASMRtists are? I prefer female voices.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My mom is honestly one of the few things that is bringing me strength. Also the potential for a treatment or cure

• Like Like x 4
    9. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Of course you may.

My favorites are:

Southern ASMR sounds
      Trigger happy ASMR
      RaffyTaphy ASMR
      Marno ASMR

I prefer male voices to female voices (have more male favorites than female)

• Like Like x 1
    10. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Video games. I can't leave this earth with The Last Of Us Part 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 on the horizion.

My family. They couldn't make it without me. I have two nephews without a father who need an example.

Reading. With enough background noise, I can read easilly with no issue. Prose, comics, love them both.

Podcasts. I still listen whenever given a chance even without earplugs.

Meeting up with friends every wedsday to play DnD.

Things are becoming a bit tougher with Visual Snow and Floaters, and it sucks to have to deal with all of this so young, but I'm doing my best.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Family is so important, happy you have people in your life who love you!
      Have any podcast recommendations?

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The Cryptid Keepers. Two girls talking about various Cryptids and Mythogical Creatures. Lots of fun, and educational.

The Last Podcast On The Left. Three guys talk about Serial Killers, Aliens, Demons, and other various spooky stuff. Very vulgar and nsfw.

And, Of course, I loved Welcome To Night Vale back in the day. Haven't listened in forever, though.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I love Last Podcast on the Left. Love spooky podcasts!

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hail Gein!

15. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Yeah, it's to heavy on the CNS for many. I overtrained the lift and should have been easily able to do 550+, but of course I never did. May have been better to have just done more squats in my case and then train deads every now and again.

In Northern Ohio you have Dave Waddington who you may know was the first man to squat 1000 lbs.

16. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Bill, do you every travel back to the former Soviet Union?

17. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      My wife
      My hobbies
      I work out as well more health maintenance
      I want to drum again one day even if it's an electronic kit with low volume monitor not there yet
      My kitty
      Watching my killer entertainment system
      Poolside all summer
      Graphic rendering

• Like Like x 1
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No. I hasn't felt safe to go. However crime rates have been increasing in Western Europe, and I think I might be relatively safe (compared to the Western Europe) in tourist places in Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Kiev. Sometime over the next 3-5 years I might finally go.

19. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thats great, I will probably also visit Iceland this year. Any favorite place there?:)

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      During your first visit, you will be amazed all of the time. Just driving (and stopping at all of the scenic places) along the ring road will be enough to have an unforgettable time. After that, you will likely want to come back. Make sure to come back at the end of July, when all of the roads in the interior are likely to be open. In the interior of Iceland, they don't build bridges across their rivers. You are expected to drive your car across. You will want to rent the biggest SUV you can find/can afford (I ended up with a small SUV, and I got stuck in the middle of a river - an unforgettable experience!) In any case, the sites along those interior gravel roads are as good as it gets.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      My lovely and beautiful wife
      My son and daughter
      My mom
      Me
      My faith

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @bobvann
      I hope all is still going well with your treatment.

23. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      Its been a rough week. I'm pregnant again and terribly scared. My tinnitus turned into a monster during my last trimester. However, things that keep me going:

1. My son, he's three and half and drives me crazy but I adore him and how protective he is of me.
      2. My spouse. He's not always a saint but he tries and he is my rock that I get to hold on to when I feel like I'm drowning.
      3. Our two dogs and cat. They are needy and make me snap back to the present along with my son. They need me and I have to be there.
      4. My family, the few friends I have. They are at times annoying as hell but make me keep it together. Both my parents have tinnitus and my spouse.
      5. I work at a store called Natural Grocers. We get a lot of special cases and a lot of people with tinnitus. Even my nutritional health coach has the T.
      6. This new pregnancy. I want a daughter. I want to stay strong for this little bean inside me. I'm trying.
      7. Sleep. I love when I'm able to finally lay down and go to sleep.

It can have its ups and downs. I try and look forward to the low days and push through the loud T days.

• Hug Hug x 3
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You are strong!! I've read tinnitus is often brought on by pregnancies and hormones, hopefully it goes away or at least settles down once your new baby is here. We are all here for you!

25. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      Unfortunately, I had tinnitus before I ever got pregnant. They tapered me off a medication and I hit my third trimester and it went through the roof. It calmed down but it took over a month. My son is 3 and half now and that was with him. I'm 5 weeks now and get to taper off again but hopefully knowing what will help keep me calm will make this pregnancy easier. I've had tinnitus for 8 years and the first two years were rough. We get through it. I want to give my son a sibling. Oh the sacrifices. Thank you though, hopefully this pregnancy won't have the same struggles and be a bit easier.

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Raising a family is hard. Raising one with Tinnitus sounds impossible, yet you're doing it. Some days I get so scared, it seems impossible to keep going. But reading stuff like this gives me hope. I just want to get better again. I hope you get better again.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I've lived in Russia for ages, Bill. Last number of years a long way from Moscow, but still in the European part.

Not really had any problems except for the occasional remark, but it happens very rarely. Most people are happy to meet a foreigner. I don't go into what are considered bad places though and pretty much keep myself to myself.

Also I don't bring up politics or Crimea etc. And most have never brought it up with me. I do sometimes meet the overly patriotic person or two. I wouldn't go to Ukraine at this time though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Exactly. Been exactly a year since I last went out of state for a vacation, and can't even plan ahead. Want to go somewhere this year, but with the uncertainty of hyperacusis, don't know if I will be able to :(

29. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      1) My girlfriend of 1.5 years. She's been with me more time with tinnitus and hyperacusis than without.
      2) My job which I like, but have been having major difficulties because of severe hyperacusis lately.
      3) Parents. Again, without a source of income, don't know if I'll ever be able to keep a good relationship with them and not come off as a disappointment.
      4) Food.

My only wish is for H to get better, so that I can get to keep my job, keep my girlfriend and most importantly, make my parents proud. Basically be productive and be around for the people I love. These are my small things that make life worth living.

30. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Those are some good numbers for somone who never competed, congrats=).

Awesome, really looking forward to it. Will sleep in a small campervan so will stick to the ring road during my first visit (and maybe the Westfjords, depending on how much time we will plan for the rest). But i am super excited=)

• Like Like x 2