Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin) Made My Hyperacusis & Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rafahyperacusis, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I am a musician and I had tinnitus and hyperacusis for about 12 years caused by noise exposure.

The last 4 months my tinnitus got considerable worse.

Doing some research I've read in some medical studies and here on the web about microdosing magic mushrooms (psilocybin) helping some people with tinnitus so I've decided give it a go.

I took a microdose (0.4) of psilocybin (mushrooms) and when I started feeling high my tinnitus and hyperacusis were on the roof!

I was worried but I thought it was normal as sometimes when I have few drinks and I start feeling tipsy my tinnitus feels more present, but that was 9 days ago!! And my hyperacusis and tinnitus are still on the roof and with new different high pitched sounds! WTF!??

I have to say that I went to the dentist same day (before the shrooms) and they cleaned my mouth with that ultra sound machine from hell BUT when I went out of the dentist I didn't notice any change on my tinnitus or hyperacusis so is when I took the microdose of psilocybin and then everything started..

I am quite worried...

Does anyone know if this could be just temporary side effect or It might be permanent??!

It was a small dose FFS!! :(

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Only time will tell if it's a spike lasting days or weeks.
      Try to relax and play soft relaxing music when need a break from your tinnitus.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Thanks @glynis, I hope it's just temporary...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Spikes really can last a long time. I had some loud noise exposures about 5 weeks ago and I started having hyperacusis and hearing cricket noises over background noise, crickets that werent there. Then slowly the crickets and hyperacusis went away. And now my tinnitus is way back down.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      That's awesome @JohnAdams !
      I hope mine does too.. yesterday It felt slightly better the whole day and today I woke up with a massive T!
      Weird thing is that the H in my right ear seams better today but the T increased since yesterday.
      It feels like my brain was trying to repair the sensitivity in my ear but that means an increase of T? After 12 years I still don't get this frustrating condition.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yes it is! Hang in there brother.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I don't think it was the micrososing, but the dentist.
      Usually it takes a few days after exposure to loud sound for the tinnitus & hyperacusis to manifest itself.

Also, for some reason I thought microdosing was supposed to be 0.1 gram?...you took 0.4.

The point of microdosing is not to get high but just light up the brain and make it work better.

I have been doing some microdosing myself, but so far the results are inconclusive.

Try to lower the dose and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Thanks for your support @JohnAdams , I guess I'm worried as I never tried shrooms before and I thought maybe I've caused a permanent damage in my brain kinda of Hypersensitivity or something as I have hyperacusis and It just made It worse.
      It was a small dose tho, 0.4.
      Anyway I guess I just can wait and try not going crazy before everything gets back to baseline or at least a bit better.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Thanks @Wolfears, it makes sense, I might do!

10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You took something that affected your brain/mind and it's chemistry. Tinnitus is basically a glitch in the brain/mind and whatever you have taken did affect it. It can take a bit of time, and hopefully things shall calm down. In the future please do not do such things. I have seen all the promises and the pie in the sky hopes for tinnitus reduction. NON of them have worked for me.

Sound therapy, stress reduction, gaining support, protection of the ears and exercise all have worked for me and still keep working these days....even with my intrusive tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Thanks @fishbone , I will definitely follow your advise.

12. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      What is your hyperacusis like?

is it painful or is it reactive tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Both unfortunately @Contrast .
      In 12 years I had crisis where It was sometimes similar but not as massive as now.
      Weird thing, I've just taken 2.5 Valium and It decreased the reactive tinnitus noticeable.
      I am living a nightmare right now so if the Valium does work I might go to my GP to get a basis dose for a while, at least till my brain calms down.
      It's crazy, dunno what psilocibin did to my brain but T and H are out of control.

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      is Valium ototoxic?

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      @Michael Leigh, on top of this page you can read my storie, any advice would be much appreciated It, thanks in advance.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      @Contrast It does appear on the ototoxic list, for some reason It has helped me immediately with the spike tho..
      I guess it is ototoxic if you take it long term tbh

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      it's listed as cause of tinnitus on one site, but i can't find any medical papers on it.

more research is needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I've read in some pages that with Valium like with most of Benzos if you do could turkey then you are likely to get T so I guess the key is taking it short periods of time and reducing the dose carefully but who knows @Contrast

19. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Rafahyperacusis

I have read your story and I'm sorry to know that you are going through a difficult time at the moment. Unfortunately I cannot help you in this matter, as I have no experience with the substance that you took to help reduce your tinnitus and hyperacusis. I agree with the advice @fishbone has given you and strongly advise you never, experiment with such things in the future as you have no way of knowing the effects of such actions. Hopefully in time things will calm down for you.

Take care and I wish you well.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thanks for contacting me @Rafahyperacusis. I have read your post and sorry to hear your struggle. I have similar opinion as Michael that I don't know the substance you took and so I don't know how it will affect T & H. I also agree with fishbone's post and the approach he advised you on. I agree with other posters that it is more likely that your dentist might have caused the latest spike by causing acoustic trauma to your ears. Your ears are already in unstable state and any acoustic trauma might send them to highly agitated state thus amplifying your T & H. Regarding the H, I did have experienced it but it faded within the year it started.

My approach is to do sensible and prudent protection from loud venues but not over-protection from normal ambient sounds of the environments I was in. The ear plugs slowly came off and H just faded over time slowly. It is important to avoid more acoustic traumas during unstable stage of the ears. Keeping calm and positive and letting time to heal is an important approach for me to help me turnaround. We need to stay away from fearful and worrisome reaction as much and as humanly possible to stay away from letting the limbic nervous system and the Amygdala from taking over. When the more normal parasympathetic nervous system is back in control, the pre-frontal cortex will take over from the Amygdala and will do its job to suppress fear and normalize our reaction to T & H. Hopefully your H will slowly subside when your ears have time to rest. You many want to ask @Telis for some advise if you have persistent pain accompanying your H as he has more experience dealing with that condition.

Take care. God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
    22. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Sorry for your situation. Dang I was reading how mushrooms helped and now your situation.

23. grime
      In pain

grime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idk, noise? stress? maybe even dormant syphilis returning
      I think it might have not been the mushrooms in this case tho, possibly the dentist visit prior. We will never know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mushrooms doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on my tinnitus. I think it could have the ability to "reset" habituation progress, but I've never heard it causing tinnitus.