Maskers, Hearing Aids, and Dual Purpose Digital Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Support' started by glynis-harbron, Aug 31, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      In this thread it would be lovely hear about members who use maskers,hearing aids and dual purpose aids, to cope with tinnitus and how their life has changed with them and if they got them on the NHS or had to pay for them....lol glynis

2. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      I paid $5000 for siemens hearing aids. I dont have hearing loss and they are programmed as maskers. They do bring relief while wearing them and over the past 6 months it has reduced my T by 50, 60 %. To me worth the money.

• Like Like x 4
    3. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Obviously it's the perception of your T which has been reduced right? I mean It's good any way you look at it whether it's an actual volume decrease or just reduced perception.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My audiologist said she could not measure decibels as this is very subjective, so yes the maskers have a positive effect on perceived volume.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Great topic @glynis-harbron. I've been umming and ahhing over the thought of getting hearing aids myself.

I guess, for the sake of anyone not in the United Kingdom, getting them "through NHS" just means getting through social insurance rather than paying for them privately.

6. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi all ,
      I wear Siemans digital hearing aids and my lovely audiologist set a masker setting on them too as previously I wore maskers.
      I had them free on the NHS after my doctor sent them a letter that I had sever Bilateral tinnitus due to Menieres with fluctuating hearing loss.
      They have made a great difference to me during the day....lol glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      That's great you found relief. The only thing I don't like about most of those masker/hearing aids is the limited sounds to choose from. The coloured noises do nothing for me, my T cuts right through. I need a variety of mixed random sounds to keep my brain guessing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. PhilB

PhilB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I got Puretone Audimed masking devices on the NHS about 18 months ago. I wore them for a while but didn't get much benefit from them. Most of the time I don't use any masking at all. When T gets particularly bothersome, I use sound files generated from the "generalfuzz" DIY ACRN tool on continuous repeat on my MP3 player. I never hear my T when listening to ACRN tones and the residual inhibition effect gives me a reduction in T for a few minutes after I stop listening to the tones. The ACRN model advises that the tones should be played at a volume just loud enough to hear but I normally play them fairly loud as the RI effect works better that way.

9. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Did it reduces the volume when you don't have the maskers or only when you have the maskers?

10. Steve H
      Creative

Steve H Director Staff Benefactor Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I'm the same as @Telis, those white noise maskers seemed okay at first (using them at a level where I could just make out my T) but then over time they annoyed me. We all respond differently though so it's a preference thing.

I have a personal theory, which I can't substantiate with research.

Take a look at the below frequency chart from a typical noise generator. I don't believe that it's healthy to deprive the ear of those higher frequencies and I do wonder if a gain-increase type effect is responsible for my higher pitch tinnitus developing over time from using in-ear generators. The other thing to note is that although the maskers may show that present the frequencies they fall very flat in their sonic representation. Compare the same noise through decent headphones and it is worlds apart. It doesn't feel healthy to present such a distorted sound (as a musician that may be relevant to my hearing perception type though, I over listen to sounds).

I prefer the use of tones over noise, it feels more natural. An unmoving sound just feels wrong to me.
      Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 10.55.35.png

11. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi All,
      For me I use my hearing aids to hear and mask my tinnitus .
      If I'm in a quiet setting and no sound to amplify I have the option to set my white noise on to help take the edge off my tinnitus.
      My tinnitus is severe and so intrusive 24/7 and on a scale of 1_10 its 10+ and never goes away due to Menieres and if that's not bad enough the MD symptoms too.
      I also have breathing problems and need 4 inhalers,tablets and nebulizer and daily steroid treatment just to breath and under the severe asthma unit .......
      Life can suck if you let it but..... I'm stronger and won't let it take my smile or laughter away as even though I have no control over my health I'm in total control over what makes me happy ......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It brings immediate relief when wearing the hearing aids but it takes months so see improvement when not wearing them. It is a slow and gradual improvement. I also take flexeril sometimes, and get regular acupuncture and massage. Also I abstain from nicotine, caffeine and sodium. The combination is working for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      What pitch is you tinnitus?

14. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Soulstation,

My tinnitus is a really high hiss the same sound as a gas oven on its highest setting or higher in both ears and never goes away.
      It causes concentration problems and listening to people and carnt locate sound where its coming from and hearing loss so wear duel hearing aids.....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Jomariea

Jomariea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      A18mths
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello am new hear I had had T for 2years did not no what it was for the first year it started in right ear now it's in both I also had a ruptered ear don't no how I got it no infection I have a hearing aid in in the day it helps abit but at night my T is so bad I cart sleep

16. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I don't normally use masking at night but just started recently. I run cricket sounds on my smart phone placed under my bed on the floor centered directly in the middle, this way the sound isn't too strong in any one direction, the sounds seems to come from all over the room this way. This doesn't mask my T (can't cover it) but it's a huge distraction and for me, way better than any colored noise. I also wake up with my T slightly lower since I started this, no idea why.

I guess this my be tough to do depending on the design of your bed. Also I have hard wood floors (this may help to carry the sound).

I don't know, something to try anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    17. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      H all,
      Sound therapy.
      Playing natural sounds through the night through pillow speakers or standing unit helps tinnitus.
      keep the sound set below your tinnitus sound.
      Your brain picks up the lower sound you have chosen and pushes the tinnitus sound to the back.
      This helps cope better in the day as your brain will be trained not to focus on your tinnitus and not see it as a threat and over time you wont be bothered if you hear the sound and habituation will start..lol glynis

18. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      yes I'm sure it does Glynis, but when your tinnitus is accompanied by screeching distortion of higher frequency sounds, then no. The "threat" doesn't go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi PaulB,
      That's true for some as it is for me .
      Mine is a screaming high hiss in both ears due to Menieres and never stops at all.
      I now have to wear hearing aids to cope and help me hear ......
      Let's hope they get a cure in our life time .
      For a lot of people they do habituated to tinnitus but for some it stays problematic and its learning to get on with life and fill it with love and happy times and nice plans to stop your mood from taking over and let depression take hold.
      It's lovely have forums so everyone can share good and bad stories and each as important as each others and give each other a leg up when it's tough going......lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have the same thing, I get all kinds of distorted hearing while listening to anything with a higher pitch. In my case the distorted hearing sounds like tinnitus sounds created from exterior sound. Is this how yours works as well?

Have you tried hearing aides? My hearing drops right off at 7khz and ski slopes into nothing by about 12khz, I'm not sure how effective hearing aides would be for this type of hearing loss. I almost wish I had a more conventional notch out of my hearing, it seems like it would be easier to fix with amplification.

21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      My audiogram doesn't really slope-off much. It seems as though my tinnitus shifts in pitch from time to time, and around 50% of the time it merges with external sounds of certain frequencies, giving them a cutting edge which sometimes extends into causing vertigo.

22. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      I had hearing aids before I got tinnitus. I can't wear them anymore because they make my t turn into a really loud whistle after about 15 minutes of wearing them. I have a severe high frequency hearing loss, so it's been a challenge trying to hear with t and without my hearing aids.

23. TexasT
      Wishful

TexasT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000 on and off....now severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Honestly don't know
      Hello! would you mind terribly sharing any of the specifics of your hearing aids such as model, etc... I'm starting to shop and there are so many out there thanks for any additional information...TexasT

24. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Mine are Siemens duel digital hearing aids...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1