MDMA (a Component of Ecstacy) Potential for the Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by tomytl, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      As I mentioned above, 'street' ecstasy is very very rarely just MDMA, often it's MDA or something in that family, with all sorts of little surprises in it.

If Alexander Shulgin himself presented it that would be a different matter, but the man on the street just sells what he has without regard to quality or purity.

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      True, however the anecdotal evidence comes from users buying from street sellers.
      I am taking every precaution to get the real stuff , my friends know what this is for and will try and supply me with top notch stuff.

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Don't mess with MDMA. It's a well known neurotoxin. And neurotoxicity is a common problem with several drugs that are also known to reduce tinnitus. That's why treating tinnitus through intratympanic injections, like AM-101, will probably succeed over attempts to develop safer versions of drugs such as MNDA.

See below, for example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23892199

Life Sci. 2014 Feb 27;97(1):37-44. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2013.07.014. Epub 2013 Jul 24.
      Neurotoxicity of methamphetamine and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine.
      Halpin LE1, Collins SA1, Yamamoto BK2.
      Author information

Abstract
      Amphetamines are a class of psychostimulant drugs that are widely abused for their stimulant, euphoric, empathogenic and hallucinogenic properties. Many of these effects result from acute increases in dopamine and serotonin neurotransmission. Subsequent to these acute effects, methamphetamine and 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) produce persistent damage to dopamine and serotonin nerve terminals. This review summarizes the numerous interdependent mechanisms including excitotoxicity, mitochondrial damage and oxidative stress that have been demonstrated to contribute to this damage. Emerging non-neuronal mechanisms by which the drugs may contribute to monoaminergic terminal damage, as well as the neuropsychiatric consequences of this terminal damage are also presented. Methamphetamine and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) have similar chemical structures and pharmacologic properties compared to other abused substances including cathinone (khat), as well as a relatively new class of novel synthetic amphetamines known as 'bath salts' that have gained popularity among drug abusers.

© 2013.

KEYWORDS:
      3-4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, Excitotoxicity, Methamphetamine, Neurotoxicity, Oxidative stress, Psychosis

4. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I appreciate your concern. I feel I don't have much choice , if this works in any way to lower the T it's very tempting to say the least. At least there is more experience with MDMA then any possible new drug that will target your ears, something I would never touch.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      As far as I can tell you dont need to do a full blown trip, seeing how many people here use benzo's I don't think it should be too risky to try a bit of MDMA . I personally would rather bathe in a pool of MDMA rather then as much as look at a benzo tablet.:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    7. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm sure it's just like anything else. You build a tolerance to it. Long term studies will be needed to see what the effectiveness over a period of time is.

8. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
    9. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I got a response back from asking Alexander Shulgin on a Facebook page.

He's in poor health but they gave me the contact details for his assistant chemist. I've asked about MDMA and tinnitus and also MDPEA after @Balthazar posted the other link (Alexander Shulgin's tinnitus disappeared after a dose of 300mg).

I'll update if / when I get a response.

• Like Like x 2
    10. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
    11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @Steve Did it disappear for good or only for the duration ?

12. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No just for a time, but I don't know how long. If it was a real effect then I'm sure there are ways to prolong it.

I'm talking to the chemist at the Shulgin Research Institute about it via e-mail at the minute, it could have just been coincidence but it will be great to find out more. I promise I'll update here as soon as I get any info.

13. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012

I think if the substance is prescribed and has been proven to provide some medical benefit, I think it would be allowed. My girl friend takes Morphine, Oxycodone, and a few others that have scrips monitored by the DEA, for pain. In short it would have to be proven to provide some medical relief. I think that will be the short coming. IMO

14. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I see that MDMA has been tried for the use of other conditions as well. So are they going to start with Phase I, eg. testing on heatlhy patients without tinnituss, or go straight to testing on tinnitus? If it has been used before in other trials then Phase I probably isnt needed?

15. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      that dose is lethal, unless the guy is 150kg...

16. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's not an MDMA dose, it's MDPEA - a different chemical which isn't psychoactive.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      By way of update:

I've spoken a couple of times to the lead chemist at the Shulgin Research Institute and he is intrigued by the possibilities of MDPEA. Haven't heard from him for a bit but Alexander Shulgin passed away recently so there will be a lot going on with them at the moment.

Plus I mailed Grant Searchfield at the University of Auckland to ask where they are with the research. He said:

We have set up a trial based on self-reported patient use of the recreational drug ecstasy. After a lot of regulatory checks we hope to begin trials on MDMA in 2 weeks. We are cautiously optimistic but at this stage have only the anecdotal evidence, and we’ll only be able to say if the effects are better than placebo in a few months.

So in short the research is beginning but it will take time. The benefit of a proper controlled trial is that it will be pure MDMA, at the moment the evidence is anecdotal so could be from different interactions for all we know.

18. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Any news on this?

19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Philip, that is the latest news, I only just posted it.

20. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Aaah, sorry, looked at the wrong post date. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Hello! Billboard Magazine is publishing an article about a new study suggesting that MDMA may be a possible cure for tinnitus. We're looking for a quote from someone who suffers from tinnitus and who has tried MDMA or who would be willing to participate in a trial to try it. We are not endorsing or sanctioning the study, nor are we enlisting people to participate in it -- we are just looking for an opinion to add to the piece, which is an unbiased write-up of the study itself.

We are looking for a brief quote (a sentence, two tops) to add to the end of the piece; ideally something like, "I would be willing to try MDMA because _______" or "I have tried it and it affected my tinnitus in X way." We would attribute the quote to the person who gave it, including name and age. If you'd rather it be anonymous, that is fine too. If you are interested, reply here and we can take it from there. Thank you!

22. Hello! Billboard Magazine is publishing an article about a new study suggesting that MDMA may be a possible cure for tinnitus. We're looking for a quote from someone who suffers from tinnitus and who has tried MDMA or who would be willing to participate in a trial to try it. We are not endorsing or sanctioning the study, nor are we enlisting people to participate in it -- we are just looking for an opinion to add to the piece, which is an unbiased write-up of the study itself.

We are looking for a brief quote (a sentence, two tops) to add to the end of the piece; ideally something like, "I would be willing to try MDMA because _______" or "I have tried it and it affected my tinnitus in X way." We would attribute the quote to the person who gave it, including name and age. If you'd rather it be anonymous, that is fine too. If you are interested, reply here and we can take it from there. Thank you!

23. Great, thank you so much!

24. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      search yonkapin mdma in this forum, he's told about it

25. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I think most tinnitus sufferers would be willing to try almost anything to regain silence in their life. So yes, I'd be willing to try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    27. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I just realized that the study that the University of Auckland is going to try and attempt has a very high chance of being unsuccessful, especially if they are going to be running it strictly within NZ and basing it purely on anecdotal experiences.

The main reason I say this is because NZ has next to no real MDMA available, and that has been the situation for many, many years. The remote location and small market has left the country almost forgotten when it comes to real MDMA.

Instead of MDMA, New Zealand is flooded with commercial "legal ecstasy" pills that contain whatever substances sneaky chemists are able to get passed through their drug laws. I don't know the exact situation right now, but NZ was flooded with pills that contained chemicals like BZP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzylpiperazine), mcPP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine) and numerous other novel chemicals.

So, I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that getting accurate results for this sort of study is going to be quite difficult given the circumstance, which is quite unfortunate.

I hope some other researchers catch onto the same idea though and try the study somewhere where better control is possible.

28. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My understanding from the article about it earlier in the year was that Grant was seeking approval to do research with the actual drug MDMA not just relying on actual ecstasy users?

Could be wrong though!

29. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Heard from a very reliable source that he took mdma yesterday and during the time of his high didn`t hear any tinnitus! very quiet just maybe wee little faint hiss in background if searched for. He felt very peacefull and carefree ... in the morning it came back though and he told me that later the next day T affected his mood in a bit negative way. Could be due to the low serotonin levels after the mdma use.

• Useful Useful x 1
    30. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Interesting, this should encourage scientific research centered around this substance.
      There will come a lowering substance anytime soon as I notice after having eaten raw vegetables that my T lowers

Add on: = ) Trials are partly finished so to read, wow that is quick!