Miss Reading a Book So Much

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Feb 28, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Haha that sounds like you have been in the wars.

Do you ever get a angry/hurt author ranting at you if you gave a bad review?

2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had a second noise trauma to my bad ear and now it's more senstiive to sound and has a discomfort that was never there before. The discomfort is causing my jaw to tighten up and I think it's becoming a vicious cycle. Plus, the noise at home keeps me edgy. Every time there's a high-pitched beep, whether from construction work outside or DH's bleeping reality-tv shows, I tense up.

I'm in an online book club and I'm trying to gear up to read a novel. If I could get immersed in a novel for a small part of each day maybe it would help me relax.

3. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I love print books too. I just couldn’t get into ebooks. I tried a Kindle and a Nook, but I was never able to read anything to the end and I wasn’t remembering what I was reading.

I have so many books it’s ridiculous and I’m gradually getting rid of books that I know I won’t read again or use for work.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It sounds like you may have hyperacusis with your T if sounds are affecting you that much, im not really up on it but I know there a number of different things to help with that, sound machines,sound therapy maybe look into that.
      Yes it is a vicious cycle mate it’s can get so draining and the clenching of the jaw isn’t helping matters.
      Try that and maybe some meditation (I’ve never been able to mediate) I go for a nice long walk that always seems to relax me and if the noises get too much put some noise reducing plugs in for a while.

5. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've never been able to meditate either. I'm hoping to get back into reading as a way of taking my mind off things.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes that hopefully will help, try going for a walk and see if that helps with the reading.
      It hasn’t helped me yet but it does relax me overall. What’s your favourite genre book wise? My taste is sooo eclectic when it comes to reading and most other things haha

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

When ebooks first arrived I had a certain amount of disdain for them and couldn't bring myself, to pick one up and have a read. Advancing age brings many things not all of them positive. When I was in my early 30s, before I got tinnitus and an avid reader, I couldn't go for too long without reading a book. My Aunt was the same, although she complained about double vision after reading for an hour or so, then would have to give her eyes a rest. She said it's something that can happen as one gets older.

I began noticing this in my early 50s when reading traditional books, my vision became blurry after reading for an hour or less. My optician says there's nothing untoward as it's something that happens to people with age. I tried a Kindle and found the problem wasn't so pronounced. With the ease and convenience that it provides, and the ability to download samples of books before buying, this works for me. I now use a high-end reading lamp and this has enhanced my reading pleasure. My eyes do not tire so easily but still give them a rest. Each to their own but I suggest don't give up on the Kindle just yet.

Michael

8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Chiming in with another positive vote for e-readers and a tip for anyone with vision problems. I love being able to both enlarge text and invert pages. I have a lot of eye floaters, and I find they’re less bothersome when I read if the text is white and background black.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm an eclectic reader too. I read both philosophy and literature, but lately I've been more into literature than philosophy. I'm slowing making my way through a collection of Tolstoy's short stories. On the less serious side, I'm also reading a short story collection by Philip K. Dick. I like his philosophical ideas and I've always had a fondness for speculative and science fiction.

10. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My main interest in the e-reader was to not need to store well over a thousand books in my apartment. Before the e-reader was invented, I fantasized about a way to put all of my books into one little book I could hold in my hand. (I should have that fantasy!) But when e-readers were invented and I got one, it just didn't work for me. Years later I tried a more advanced one, but I never knew exactly where I was in the book I was reading. I often remember something I read and can tell you physically where it was in the book, in the chapter, and on the page. With an e-reader, I'm spatially disoriented. I also write in pencil in my books and making notations in a e-reader was also too different. With a paper book, I pluck it from the shelf, flip through the pages in a matter of seconds, and locate my marginal notes.

But if I could ever adapt to an e-reader, I would free up so much space in my apartment.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I see your point and they are quite valid. When I used to read traditional books I would have my electronic dictionary close by, in case I came across a word that I didn't know or forgotten its meaning. The Kindle with it's built in dictionary I find a plus, as I just have to highlight a word the meaning comes up instantly.

Try the Kindle again. If you have an old model try the Voyage or the Oasis which both have brilliant white screens, with high resolution displays at 300ppi and have a back light. You just might be converted and realize what you're missing!

Michael

12. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      That was my main issue. Space. I have over 5,000 real books in my room. I've started cutting down on them, but the Ereaders have helped so much. Now I just go, nah, I don't need the hardcopy of this series. It's also helped me to be more brave about exploring new authors so that I don't have to worry about space. Plus, it is nice to make the font bigger sometimes.

Still love my hard copies, but I like having the best of both worlds.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Think I may need to start using my kindle as well, my books have overtaken my attic space haha I prefer literature but don’t mind reading the odd philosophy book. I love science fiction, murder mystery and horror but I’ll probably read anything if it grabs my attention.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought I had a lot of books o_O that’s a really good nice Collection haha

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is the problem with books, you need a lot of room. Once read one seldom returns to reading them again, so just take up space...

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I need to get out the habit of buying books and put them on my kindle, my collection has now made its way into my attic space.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hmm It was one of the reasons I moved to the Kindle books take up too much space. Do you have a new version of Kindle? Voyage or Oasis?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No I’ve got the older version, I think I’ll invest in a newer one I was looking at the Oasis.... do you recommend that one?

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Jcb

I have the Voyage and the 6inch Oasis not the new 7inch version Oasis. The Voyage resolution display is exactly the same as both Oasis at 300 ppi

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, I think I’ll go for the oasis and once I can read again I will start reading on that instead of buying hardbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wow! I know what 1000 looks like. I can hardly imagine 5000. I used to have much more than I have now, and back then, my books were piled on the shelf so I could use every inch of space. Now I only have a few piles and most of the books are stacked so I can actually see what I have. I'm working on reducing my collection more, but it's not easy.

22. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That is how I am deciding which books to get rid of. I ask myself which ones I plan to read again. A lot of books actually fit into this category, but it helps me locate the ones I know I won't read again.

23. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Books are sneaky like that. :p

24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have tried re-reading my books but as soon as I start, the story comes back to me and I know everythings that's going to happen. This doesn't offer me any excitement and for this reason I don't return to a book once I've read it. With movies it's different. I have a nice DVD collection and have watched them over and and over and never get tired watching. I am into old movies. Humphrey Bogart, Betty Davis, Elizibeth Taylor. Some of my favourits are: The Long Hot Summer, Cat on a hot tin roof, Casablanca, the Big Sleep. All about Eve. Now I'm revealing too much information about myself..lol

Michael

25. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've got the opposite thing going. There are only a handful of movies I would chose to watch again. And I'll choose something cheesy over something classic every time. But with novels, I like deep books that get more rewarding with each reread. I recently reread some Flaubert and Dostoevsky. I appreciated them even more on this read than on my first read many years ago.

(On a side note, as I reread Flaubert's "A Simple Heart," I noticed something that I overlooked in my earlier reading: The main character experiences “imaginary buzzing noises in her head.” I think that's the first I ever noticed of a character with T.)

• Like Like x 1
    26. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I miss everything not just reading. I miss going out and having fun. I miss being able to sleep, watch tv, read, travel, etc. If i had this while in college I am certain that i would have failed. Two days ago is when it finally hit me, before that i had hope that it will get better and my life will resume to normal, but then it hit me that it will never be the same, the life i once had is gone for good....shame..i wish it lasted until i was 47 at least.

27. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The blasphemy! ;) Re-reading a great book is my favorite thing. Especially after a couple of years have past. I don't even know how many times I re-read Harry Potter and a few other series. :bookworm:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    28. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Indeed. I came up with a way to double stack my shelves. That's why I prefer paperbacks, the small size. Though YA genre and some hardbacks make it a little tough.

Yep. I've cut back a lot on them.

29. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I love both books and films and junking out on their stories over and over. I'm such an addict for them both. I love all genres for movies.

Tend to read more sci-fi and fantasy, though I still love branching out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Keep trying. I've noticed the rare moments when I actually start enjoying things again. It's nice and keeps me hopeful. Which I need after my T spiked to new and un-fun volumes.

• Agree Agree x 1