Miss Reading a Book So Much

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Evening everybody.

Looking for a bit of advice, I used to love reading and since I’ve had this tinnitus I’ve found it impossible to concentrate due to the noise.

I used to read in complete silence and I’ve tried to put some noise in the background but my mind only concentrates on the bloody noise tinnitus!!

Any tips guys I would be so grateful as I’m half way through American Gods and would really like to finish it o _O

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Nature sounds don't work either? Like I said in that other thread, the sound of rain works for me.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe think to yourself I will read a chapter and then have a warm drink and just build time up reading.
      I love Peter James books and his last book out of the Roy Grace series came out last May and still carn't bring myself to reading it even though I want to know what happend to Susan.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve tried them sounds as well think I’m just not mentally there yet. I’ll keep trying as won’t let this beat me and really miss reading man.

Thanks for your input Sven much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will try the one chapter at a time and see how I get on.
      I’ve never read any of his books are they any good?

Thanks Glynis

6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You'll get there, eventually. I promise.

• Like Like x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Jcb,
      Yes relly good and a great writer..
      Love glynis

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah that’s what I’m hoping and working towards. Cheers buddy

I’ll add him to my “read list” haha

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Well you’re coping with reading this forum, so there is hope. ;-)

Maybe get involved with a few forums which cover your interests. Unlike reading a book, you can exprsss your feelings which may be helpful at the moment. It’s easier to let go of the T when you are engaged in two way activities.

I remember what it was like at your stage. I couldn’t even do a Sudoko. It was almost as though I couldn’t take my mind off the T because it needed me to concentrate on it!

You should fnd that after a while, when you get engaged in something you like doing, you will realise you haven’t noticed the T for a few seconds. Later, seconds become minutes, minutes hours and so on.

The brain then seems to start to rewire itself so you don’t notice it unless you search for it (something I would recommend you never do).

Ir’s also about finding ways to reduce your stress and anxiety levels as that makes the T sound louder or spike.

• Like Like x 3
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have the TV on in the background which helps while I’m on this forum but not when I’m reading a book for some reason.
      At the moment the only thing that reduces my stress and anxiety is a walk but it’s snowing here and too cold for a walk plus I’m likely to go skidding in the snow.

I’m looking to start back at the gym next week and hopefully it won’t make my T spike but I won’t know till I try eh.

Thanks for the tips Bassplayer I’ll try them and hopefully I will get there and finish that book and many others :bookworm:

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      He he, yes we went for a walk in the snow today. We wrapped up well obviously, but it was very relaxing.

When I suffered with T , walking out in the country was very therapeutic. I still love being outside, which is why I live on a boat in the canal now.

One interesting thing about T is that you can have it at a low volume but it can be very annoying. Other times it can be louder, but if your mood is good because you are enjoying yourself, it doesn’t seem so annoying. So mood is very influential on how you handle it.

Enjoy the gym!

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bassplayer ,
      We have lot's of snow and awaiting to see if our school will be clossed tomorrow...lol
      I love the snow and bet a lovely view from your boat and really cozy...
      Love glynis

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m the same, love being outdoors but I’m terrified of falling on my face in the snow haha (which has happened a few times) my T is mild and has shook me to the core which is why sometimes I feel guilty when I post as I know some are extremely loud and intrusive.
      I’m trying to stay postive and work on my mind set, some days are good some or not but I’m not gunna let this beat me.

Nice, don’t think I could live on a boat but the thought of it sounds cool.

14. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      The log burner works well so we are nicely snugged in ATM.

Schools closing due to a snow flake! What’s this country coming to Glynis?! lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had T for nearly 6 months and unfortunately have a lot of other physical health problems. Lying in my bed reading a book at the end of the day used to be my escape from the physical suffering of my other health problems. The T has taken that away from me for the most part as that peace has been lost. I don't read anything like as much now and usually just end up watching the crap that's on the telly

However when my T is a bit quieter and 50%-80% blocked out by a sound machine then I find I can manage to read a book. I highly recommend getting a sound machine.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear about your other health issues as well as your T.
      I used to love doing that as well at night, really get lost in a book and ease all the crap you’ve dealt with in the day.
      I’ve tried putting different sounds on but I still zone in on my T and can’t concentrate, I did get a few pages read last night which is more than I’ve done since I’ve had this so that’s a plus.
      I’m only just over 2 months in with T so still up an down with this, but hopefully it’ll go and if not I will deal with it and hopefully get mentally strong enough to read some books.

Thanks for your advice Agrajag and I hope your doing good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Use the nature type sounds, birdsong is good

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I’ll mess round with some different sounds again and see if that helps

19. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      When my T first came on and was mild I could read anywhere, just like before. Even in a silent room. For me though I always could read anywhere because I would be consumed by the book and reality just melted away.

Since my T got worse I haven't been able to do that. I keep reading and hope I'll be able to let go of the noises. When my T volume reduces on the rare occasion I get so close to be consumed by my book. Though I noticed even in the car where I can still hear my T, but it's the closest to being masked I still have a hard time reading for long periods. At this time I think it's just my mindset.

Keep setting aside time to read. You'll get there.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m still not at that point yet where I can totally get lost in a book again, but I’ll get there.
      On separate note, when you said you started off with mild T (which I think I’ve got it mild) did you hear multiple tones that seem to change and a separate sound like morse code? When your T got worse was it anything particular that you think made it spike as that’s what concerns me as I’ve read a lot where people’s T started off mild then in a few years it spiked to become really intrusive.

21. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jcb
      I was unable to read a book for 2 years as I had very severe tinnitus. I have habituted and able read but because my tinnitus is variable, sometimes I have to stop reading for a day or two due to the tinnitus being too loud and intrusive. Hopefully, this will not apply to you for my tinnitus is quite severe. Give it time....

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am, I’m a pretty determined person so I will start reading again it’s just taking a bit of time. Sorry your T is so intrusive I have it mild and that can be so draining so I couldn’t imagine what it would be like if it became like that?!

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My tinnitus is variable. It can be completely silent, mild, moderate, severe or extremely severe. I have had tinnitus for 22 years and know how to manage it and you will too. Give it time and I advise not to push yourself too hard.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s a long time, I won’t push myself even though I’m tempted to. I’ll learn to manage it because at this time that’s all we can do till this cure comes along eh.....

25. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi @Jcb. I haven't read American Gods, but I did read The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which I liked a lot. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your book. :bookworm:

• Like Like x 1
    26. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi @Jcb , I'm only two months further on as you, and slowly but surely getting back to reading novels. I'm now able to lose myself again in the experience as before, only not for long periods like before (I would spend a full day reading during the weekend for instance). So I have to adjust a bit, but am confident I'll improve further.

I also have to do a lot of reading for work (emails, reports, etc.) and I'm finding that easier and easier now, especially when I get in the work flow. I was on sick leave for 2 mth due to T, now almost fully back.

Anyway, my point, as made by others above, is that it takes time, but you'll get there, I promise! Be kind and patient with yourself.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When you habituate and I'm sure you will, finding a cure for tinnitus will be the least thing on your mind I assure you.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s started off good but couldn’t tell you if it’s worth a read till I finish it :p I’ve got a few his books that’s I’m yet to read... was it any good?

Thanks Haz I’m hoping to get to that point soon as well, really miss getting lost in a book for a good few hours.
      I’m like you would happily read all day if could but life doesn’t allow for that haha I’m happy your getting back to almost normal that’s great to hear. I’ve been signed off for a month to try get my sanity back o_O I’m sure I’ll get there in the end.

I think a cure will always be in the back of my mind, but I’m going to make sure I get my life back on track and not let this take over.

29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jcb
      You haven't habituated yet and when you do then you'll understand what I mean. You are new to tinnitus and everything that you're going through, I and other people in this forum know what it's like. After a while the tinnitus will recede into the background and you won't even think of it. The fact that your tinnitus is low at the moment is a very good chance of this happening. Please don't use headphones even at low volume, and keep away from overly loud music and you'll be just fine.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jcb
      I am Peter James fan. It was his first book in the Roy Grace series: Dead Simple, that got me back into reading after 2 years. Although it took me around 4 weeks to read the book, because my tinnitus fluctuated so much day to day I managed it. I have read every book in the series and now waiting for book 13 which will be out in May. PJ is a great crime writer and I'm sure you'll like this books. If you have a Kindle you can download a sample of "Dead Simple" from Amazon.

I have written to Peter James many times and met him often at book signings.