MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Get the Guinness ready!

• Like Like x 2
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      2ocud0.jpg

• Funny Funny x 8
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. pochito

pochito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excess - Hearing loss - Gigs - travels - loud music - STRESS
      Haha!! Merci mon ami.

I will, no other choice for me anyway, being a musician with a family. :whistle:

I want to believe 2019 will bring us some crazy updates for our ears.

@JohnAdams, FX-322 and Minbo's technique are looking really promising as well and I'm super hyped too... Also want to see what Dr. Rauschecker has to add to all of this.

They have to find something in the next 5 years anyway, they are getting closer and closer.

The sad thing is that most ENTs or audiologists don't even have the slightest idea about what all of us are talking about...

I'm getting so much more useful information from this forum than anywhere else... pff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Guiness is cool because the little torpedo stirrer thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I may be the first Tinnitus Talk member to try the groundbreaking MuteButton... I may be the first man in history to have his tinnitus reduced! The Neill Armstrong of Tinnitus - One small reduction for man, one giant elimination for the tinnitus community!

• Funny Funny x 10
      • Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      What about the people in the study? :p

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Everybody on this site knows how you feel about this device. Nobody is going to force its use on you. We know FX-322 is what you’re after.

It’s also an unproved unknown at this point too. It’s also not worth the hype you put into it.

This device is here now and promising to a lot of people.

Nobody is a bigger advocate of FX-322 or South Korea than you are. If someone is going to test the waters with these it should be you.

I’m getting tired of you posting this stuff here. Keep it on the FX-322 thread.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. pochito

pochito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excess - Hearing loss - Gigs - travels - loud music - STRESS
      Great :) ... When that happens, please can you ask your audiologist while he is tuning up your MuteButton if I can have an appointment with him as well, being from France?

Might need a little help with this. Merci :D

• Like Like x 1
    9. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Please let this work!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      This is so true! Even if it works well most ENTs will keep selling "management strategies".

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Tilts
      Artistic

Tilts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, TMJ Contributing
      Gotta cross those fingers, knock on wood, grab those good luck charms.

12. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My wife is French - My kids are half French and I spend a lot of time on the Riviera each year down in Antibes. I love France and I will indeed do my best to sort you out if you wish. Just PM me. Rob

• Like Like x 1
    13. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      It increases my tinnitus so I'll have water thanks.

14. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      They had their chance to spill the beans... Now it's over to the Paddy Pioneer Bob Armstrong to make history. If it works I'll bring Ross O'Neill on a world tour. The Tinnitus Tour where he can masquerade as a tinnitus evangelist curing the afflicted of their internal noise…

• Funny Funny x 2
    15. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ah but you won't need to. 3 Guiness and a 10 minute session on the MuteButton! Beautiful combo!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      RCP1, if this thing works and I come down to Ireland, can we do this??

3 Guinness and a 10 minute session on MuteButton. Sounds so dope. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If it works - We'll have a big party in Ireland. I'll rent a big house out west and we can all live it up! That's a promise.

Just back from the hospital where I had a giant piece of glass removed from my foot. My daughter smashed a glass in the kitchen and forgot to tell me. When I came down to grab a bottle of H2O in my bare feet a 2 cm shard of glass went into my heel and never came out. 45 minutes it took the doc to get it.

What a relief and now back home for a glass of 1984 Bordeaux which actually is a foul tasting wine but will do the job.

I feel on cloud 9 today which in contrast to last week when I wanted to cut my ear off just proves that things can change. Things are starting to come together again and that awful sound I've had in my head for 3 months is sounding bearable again.. It's a 7/10 screamer but it can go fck itself.

I'm getting back on the horse and riding out to find me some adventure. ye ha.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. hitachi

hitachi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @Markku,

How about people who do not understand English? Can we get the Q&A on paper? At least we will be able to translate it by Google translate.

Sorry for my English. I am Japenese.

• Like Like x 1
    19. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Glad you're feeling better. It's so easy to get lost with this shite. I had a great week, last night didn't sleep till 8 am and here come nasty thoughts!

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. cicou
      Wishful

cicou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not clear but hearing loss is probably one of the causes
      Careful! We are a lot of French guys following this forum.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      2019 :)
      Now there's a question. Believe it or not I hadn't actually thought about it :D

I know that I have hearing loss related to my tinnitus, and from my own extensive self-testing I also have a very strange dip at 10kHz in both ears, going back up where I can hear to around 14kHz. I have a very obsessive attitude to audio fidelity, so if they can accommodate my particular hearing profile then yes, I think I will.

I agree with you on the hype of regeneration. Although even if we get regeneration, I think we will still need an audio based intervention to reset the system. It may reset itself over time and also it may not give us the same fidelity of hearing that we previously had so there may need to be some audio based re-education for the brain to train out the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    22. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      This period is the first in my 4-year history with this site (not my first username) when it feels GOOD to open it up.

When I expect a blast of hope, positivity and cheers on TinnitusTalk, which previously used to be a desperate place with occasional bursts of quality black humor.

If this thing/the University of Michigan device etc really work, we may live to see TinnitusTalk gradually become inactive and end up as a a monument of past suffering with people occasionally dropping by to say hi to each other. :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Absolutely right @JohnAdams - but the folk on here drinking the Kool-aid don't want to hear about it and will shout down anyone with a degree of skepticism. Clearly a lot of the hype is being encouraged by the makers of MuteButton itself - @Steve tried to shoot down my claim that they had been actively stirring the rumours of interest from NICE - but as this was clearly what a representative from their company was telling one of Tinnitus Talk's own volunteers at the BTA conference I think it's pretty clear what they are up to.

Some short predictions on how this will play out:
      1. MuteButton (2) is released to great fanfare.
      2. Some desperate tinnitus sufferers spend a lot of money on it.
      3. Most of them find it doesn't help at all, some people find it helps a little bit with habituation.
      4. MuteButton is withdrawn from the market for "improvements".
      5. A few years later MuteButton (3) is released.

In short this thread will make interesting reading in a couple of years time.

• Winner Winner x 1
    24. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I suggest you read your own quote. You put it in a different way, I read "they aren't currently pursuing it but they are interested in it in the future". As it happens this is one of the questions asked in the Q&A so you'll be able to see the answer soon.

It's not exactly front page news that you don't believe it will work. You couldn't be accused of excess positivity.

I don't encourage the hype. I don't think it's healthy. What I do encourage is to stand behind every single organisation that tries to develop a tinnitus treatment through proper, robust clinical trials.

If you shout down everything then all you do is seal your own fate. Tinnitus becomes a harder field to work in, investors are less likely to want to get into a field where the beneficiaries are going to crap over everything. We need to encourage all companies that try to do things properly to get into this field and solve the problem.

This will not work for everyone. So we need to encourage the next novel therapy that will hoover up those that get no benefit from it, and so on. We have to play our own part in the search for a cure.

• Agree Agree x 12
    25. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I think the tinnitus will just go away on its own like in the earplug experiment, or like when people get cochlear implants.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      In my own experience they calibrate up to 16kHz.

• Informative Informative x 1
    27. DonLeon
      Tired

DonLeon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Reading this thread is frustrating. There’s hope, but also apprehension, and while I get the skepticism, it’s infuriating to see people turn their nose at what’s designed to help.

From what I’ve gathered, there’s actual science behind MuteButton, with experts in the field working on this. If people are so wary of trusting Neuromodulation and its backers, then cross out Susan Shore, FX-322, and Minnesota, too. They’ll follow the same path with the same strictness in data and trials. Believe it or not, working on one project doesn’t steal from another, and until a cure arrives, one can still appreciate stopgaps. They are absolutely a QoL improvement.

To hang previous setbacks over their head is appalling, when they pulled it off the market because the outcome was unsatisfactory. Does continued sales with a broken treatment fare better? Release too early and their research is questioned. Release too late and their research is questioned. They just can’t win with some people.

Realistically, there’s no tinnitus cure on the market, and they are treading new ground. Of course there are stumbling blocks. To demand perfection is foolish. But if researchers surrendered before every wall, patients would have to resign themselves to suffering. Some here have, undoubtedly, already done so. Medicine has always been slow and methodical field, and the hostility toward those trying to improve lives and those praying for the best is pathetic.

This attitude is miserable and disheartening. Questioning quacks on YouTube is one thing, but it’s another when they’re people who’ve dedicated their lives to tinnitus and audiology. Hubert Lim isn’t a trustworthy voice? Richard Tyler? Does God need input before faith is granted? As an invisible ailment, it’s not the flashiest field to treat, and results aren’t easily seen. Releasing raw data won’t clarify it because ignorance will twist conclusions.

I’m baffled at how Ginkgo Biloba and tapping the back of your head gets more of a pass than bimodal stimulation, which has shown real world results beyond tinnitus. Would eating an obscure flower from bumfuck nowhere get better reactions from naysayers? If you dislike MuteButton, take another pinch of magnesium, look up another crapshoot alternative treatment, and go on your third fast.

Moreover, if Neuromodulation flails at the finish line, then congratulations, you won. Stand tall and accept your prize of continued Hell on Earth. Fantastic.

Personally, I and many others are prepared and willing to live a full, happy life. Others, however, seem addicted to their own pain and wish to spread it. Rather than darken the scarce moments of possible relief, swing by the support section which is, ironically, the most toxic hub here. There are numerous threads there dedicated to giving up and ending it all.

Whatever issue tinnitus poses, this forum exasperates a hundredfold. I understand the horror it brings, but projecting your baggage onto others is ridiculous. No wonder professionals advise avoiding such a place. It’s not a support group when the 1% at the brink strangle any sight of hope. Panicking newcomers do not need to be told, “You’re screwed, enjoy the noise,” or have to see, “I’m being murdered!” My heart goes out to the worst of them, as they need to vent sometimes, but Jesus Christ, when someone enjoys another's ringing because the sufferer's an ENT, you know the site is a pit of despair.

There’s negativity in EVERY topic showing promise, and to that, I say keep up the good work. When Susan Shore comes up to the podium, she’ll appreciate the hazing from those she’s trying to help. But what I'm really trying to say is, keep up the good work somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    28. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days ago I would have agreed with you but I've decided to be positive with this... After all it is Irish made. Guinness lowers my tinnitus…

On a serious note I appreciate your degree of skepticism and we shouldn't get carried away.

However when was the last time a device was brought to market with confidence which was independently peer reviewed after a double blind study... I can't think of one in the last 4 years anyway... so it's not an everyday occurrence.

This is a support board which deals with a condition which is incurable and intractable. Anything positive will be of course potentially be over hyped...

However in this instance I have a funny feeling it's not going to go the way you have described above. I think many people are going to find some relief here.

If it doesn't work - they will be offering a returns policy so from a financial viewpoint it is in their interests to release something which has an effect.

I have to say the doom and gloom of these boards needs to be changed somehow... We need to perk ourselves up a bit.

R

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      That's what this thread is - one whole bit of hype, which has desperate tinnitus sufferers considering flying halfway round the world to try this device. Voices of skepticism are very necessary in that context.

On the contrary I'm extremely positive about the fact that - challenged by me - the BTA have had to remove claims from their website that the majority of people with tinnitus aren't affected by it all, because they didn't have any evidence to back the claim up. Once the main tinnitus organisations in this country stop downplaying the real impact of the condition we'll finally start to make progress in recognition and funding for the condition.

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So with that in mind here is the first tinnitus related joke to cheer us all up.

William Shatner was blown up on the set of Star Trek.

The production crew ran to his aid.

"Are you ok Mr Shatner?!"

"Yes I'm absolutely fine - But could someone please answer the phone"

• Funny Funny x 2