My Psychiatrist and Bupropion Have Ruined My Life — Bizarre Coincidence

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Depressed, May 28, 2018.

1. Depressed
      Depressed

Depressed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Elontril)/Bruxism
      On the 26th of April i went to visit my psychiatrist to try a new antidepressant, and what she prescribed me, a bupropion called elontril, has caused tinnitus in my right ear. I hadn't taken antidepressants for years because the others didn't help, but i decided to give it a shot again. After all, what could go wrong? I thought that i couldn't possibly end up more depressed than i already was.

After less than a month in treatment, even though i hadn't noticed any positive effects, everything was ok until the night of the 24th of May, when i started hearing this acute ringing sound. Alarmed, i discontinued the medication the following day, but the tinnitus hasn't improved at all since then. My psychiatrist, who didn't call me back until today (i called her on Friday but she ignored me) basically said that she doesn't know if it will ever go away. She didn't even know what to say; she just suggested more meds and said that "we'll see" how the tinnitus develops:(

Now here comes the cruel and bizarre second part. Unfortunately, before all of this happened, i already knew what tinnitus was because my father has had this condition for almost two years (although he didn't get it from medications) and it drives him crazy. He was already depressed and this shit has ruined his life. He tried to kill himself twice and now he's barely coping with it. On top of that, the psychiatrist who's been "" helping"" him by feeding him meds is the same one who has prescribed me elontril. The same day she prescribed me this, my father was hospitalized again because he was feeling suicidal and his state with all the meds was terrible. Now he's back home and he's feeling better, because the dosis he was taking has greatly been reduced.

I have never been so desperate and angry. I can't see myself dealing with this shit for the rest of my life. I can't sleep and i can't ignore it most of the time. Hell, just two weeks ago i bought a white noise machine for my father in order to help him to sleep, and now it seems that i'm going to need one too.

There's a chance it will go away, but i don't have much hope seeing how my father has had it for almost two years. I tried elontril because i wanted a little help to fix my life, but instead it has ruined me, i can't still believe this is happening. It's surreal:(:(:(

By the way, tomorrow i'm turning 21. Best birthday of my life.

• Hug Hug x 9
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      When I started visiting an acupuncturist for tinnitus, he told me his most success has been with patients whose tinnitus was caused by an ototoxic drug. He said he treats it by treating the kidneys and liver, as that's where the tinnitus is originating from. So I'm doing acupuncture, plus doing things that support the liver, like drinking milk thistle seed tea and eating plenty of beets.

More recently, I started drinking poppy seed tea with CBD oil added, which has made the biggest difference so far. I would encourage you to be as patient as you can, AND, be as proactive as you can. Different things work for different people, and it's likely you'll find something in the coming weeks that will help you as well. -- Good luck! And do try to enjoy your birthday tomorrow as much as possible.

All the Best...​

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you, and your father's troubles as well.

Nobody can predict how long a case of tinnitus will last, but I think that there's a pretty good chance your's will resolve soon, because it seems very likely it was caused by the meds. Some of the more knowledgeable members of this site can provide you with some statistics on recovery.

I would like to wish you a happy birthday and hope you feel at least somewhat better by tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Depressed
      Depressed

Depressed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no will to live. My father committed suicide on the 8th of this month. I'm devastated.

My tinnitus went away during 2 days after a week and half of having it. I thought that it had gone away forever, but it came back. After that, my jaw started feeling weird, i had difficulties opening my mouth, a lot of cracking sounds, and a little bit of pain. I suspect that this caused/worsened/made the tinnitus come back, but it doesn't matter, because according to my dentist there's no cure.

For the first time of my life I'm thinking of killing myself. My father couldn't take it and i won't be able to cope with it either. Those two days in which the tinnitus was gone feel like a cruel lie. The newly added jaw problems are another reason to end it all. I don't want to hurt my family but i don't know how long i will last

An antidepressant ruined my already ruined life. The whole thing feels so unreal that i can't believe this is happening

• Hug Hug x 6
    5. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      So sorry for your loss :( and suffering. I wish you all the best!

I agree with you on psychiatrists, I went to them in crisis and they drugged me into oblivion with meds that made my T worse also. Currently on top of the T, I have a very hard taper on benzo's from a very high dose which fucks with my brain in ways you cant imagine, after that I have to taper other meds that I never needed. I will never ever ever in my life go to a psych doc for help again. Its a major risk, and all this started because of T and the cruel thing is they made my T worse now. I am not a violent person but if I ever deside to become one those people are no1 on my shit list. My only hope is after I tapered al this poison my T will settle down. I have read it happened to other people.

I think from what you are telling that you have a very good chance that your T will at least settle down a lot or leave again. You are in a very stressful time right now. When I got it 5 years ago I thought my life was done for too but I habituated and also had lots of times when the T was very quiet. Only recently had a crisis and misdiagnosis they gave me all the drugs which pulled me back into hell.

I am also very depressed and think about suicide too but I will not give in yet, I have hope for a better life, who knows maybe next year or 2-3 years down the line they find treatment for T and I kill myself over it that would be stupid.

As hard as it may be, you need to find a way to relax and find something that makes you feel better (no drugs/alcohol). Walk 1/2 hour or 1 hour a day or go to the gym. This is what keeps me sane and I instantly feel better. Take good care of yourself, eat good. I have had many times where I wanted to die and 1 week later I am very happy again. Nothing is forever.

Keep fighting and accept that sound for now.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      ¡ Ánimo amigo ! - I'm really sorry about your dad's passing.

You should know that your own suicidal thoughts could actually be linked to your antidepressant use. Ironically, increase in suicidal thoughts is a known side effect of some AD meds.
      You should also know that in many instances of med-induced T, the T goes away after the med intake is discontinued, so there is hope for you in the T department, even though it could take a while to reach a T-free state.

Have you considered working with your doctor (or another one) to wean you off of meds?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Depressed you poor darling. This is an incredibly hard point in your life and things may get better. Especially the tinnitus if you had days when it was gone already

• Like Like x 1
    8. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Depressed how are you holding up? My heart aches for you and what you have been going through. Please find comfort knowing you are not alone in this. Another members parent also just passed away. There is no lack of love and support here for you. Please do not commit suicide. It can get better I promise you. Please let us know how you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Depressed
      Depressed

Depressed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you all for your messages, i really appreciate it

Days ago I had an anxiety attack, and in the hospital a new psychiatrist prescribed me quetiapine, which supposedly isn't ototoxic. Now i can sleep, and the noise is about the same level as on the first day, although sometimes it is lower.

I'm still crushed for the loss of my father and tinnitus scares me every day. It's been more than 3 weeks now:(
      Hopefully time heals both my tinnitus and the sadness for the loss.

Thanks again and good luck to all with your t. It still amazes me how this horrible and common condition is so unknown to the general public.

10. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I lost my father a few years ago under different circumstances, and while everyone is different, I am familiar with the grief and sorrow involved with losing a parent. I know it must be difficult to deal with tinnitus on top of this loss. Grief is a process that can take a while. It can also be stressful... and stress can exacerbate tinnitus. So, try to be open to your friends and family about what you're going through over the next few years while you process the loss of your father. Remember to take care of your mental and emotional self. It's easy to forget, but is very important to getting through this time.

• Like Like x 1
    11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Depressed ,
      I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and what he went through and wished he could have come on here for support around the clock and made some friends whom understood what it's like.
      My thoughts are with you and your family.
      I lost both parents recently and it is hard but life does go on with out them and remember all the good times and I know they walk beside me everyday with their love guiding me..
      We are all here for you...
      love glynis x

• Like Like x 1