My Success Story: Habituation *Is* Real

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Oreilles, Mar 10, 2021.

1. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, it has slowly decreased in intensity along with my hyperacusis. On my mild days (1 or 2 a week) it's almost like I don't have tinnitus and my hyperacusis just about vanishes. The 2 are definitely linked for me. For me I think tinnitus is truly a malfunction or maladaptation of the brain's auditory system.

• Like Like x 1
    2. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'd say 2 years.

3. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It was somewhat difficult for me because I caused my own tinnitus. So I had to sort through all the feelings of regret and guilt associated with it. I never lost hope of recovering from this. I would hold onto to memories of how I used to be, but I vowed not just get better, but better than before. Having tinnitus has given me a new perspective. More of an appreciation for life and things around me. I realize now how quickly everything can be lost. But, as we lose I think we also gain. Even with diabolical tinnitus I continued to work, exercise, and just put one foot in front of the other, and hope for brighter days. My faith in God has also helped to pull me through.

• Like Like x 7
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Shelly75

Shelly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for the reply.
      I think mine are linked too, the intensity of both fluctuates massively which makes me think it can’t be an “ear injury” which would just remain consistent?

5. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? Autoimmune, daily headaches, Ibuprofin, BP meds, Virus?
      My hyperacusis and tinnitus are in no way related on a daily basis. Tinnitus is worse in my left ear but I only have pain hyperacusis in my right ear. Yesterday I had an abnormally lower tinnitus day (I rarely get good days) but I was wearing ear plugs under ear switched off headphones in the shower because the pain was well and truly present.

I also don't get how if pain hyperacusis is linked to anxiety and emotions, how I only have it in one ear. It has to be linked to damage?

I cannot find a pattern at all.

6. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      May I ask how you were doing after the first year?

I am still struggling a lot. Sometimes it goes away for a few days but always returns.

7. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      After the first year I wasn't doing well. Tinnitus had gotten better but was still pretty intense. Hardly any habituation. Many people on this thread suggest that intensity and loudness do not impact ones ability to habituate. As my tinnitus has mellowed out I feel it's much easier to ignore. It's like pain levels. More intense pain is more debilitating. That being said everyone's tolerance is different. I have a demanding job as a middle school teacher as well. I feel that if I didn't have to work I may have dealt with it better. My tinnitus has never "went away" for a few days. At first it was one day a week of low tinnitus, then mostly severe. Now it's moderate with a couple mild days a week.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. cruise

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well said.

And your story is familiar, much like my story and many other stories. Thank you for sharing this!

9. cruise

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This a exactly how it works. Because you stop caring, you stop noticing and you start forgetting that it's there, even if it's there 24/7 unchanged.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I was a bit sceptical about 'habituation' when I first got tinnitus 2 years ago and thought I would just be stuck in a hell like situation for life - I think it was a good 6 months before I was starting to adapt to having tinnitus, and it's still almost certainly as loud now as it was originally but I have got used to it so do not notice it all the time.

11. Pali907

Pali907 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown many reasons
      Today my tinnitus is 5 weeks old, and still haven’t been able to habituate, I can only hope that I can get better. I have faith but it’s hard and I often break down. Can anyone give me any advice what I should in the initial stages of my tinnitus and how I can lead into habituation?

I feel guilty as I did this to myself by taking ototoxic ear drops and lots of antibiotics and Ibuprofen to overcome what was apparently an ear infection. I never knew what ototoxic meant up until now. Hopefully some sound advice can get on the right path.