N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @ZFire -- That's the dose amount that was used in a randomized control trial that showed a significant reduction in people who were exposed to the flu who actually experienced flu symptoms. Those taking 1200 mg daily of NAC only experienced flu symptoms 20% of the time, compared to 70% of those who took no NAC.

They "speculate" this would likely apply to COVID-19 as well. The above linked video is fairly short, and I started it at the place where he talks about the trial. It's only about 2 minutes to get the gist of it. Do you think vaccine manufacturers (with their tens of billions of dollars in annual profits from the COVID-19 vaccine) might try to prevent studies on NAC and COVID-19 symptom reduction from ever taking place?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Hey @Lane, thanks for posting this video, Dr. Nedley is great! But yeah, it’s honestly a great supplement regardless if I’m testing its effects solely for tinnitus. It restores glutathione levels in the body and regulates your glutamate which is important in boosting your immune system and fighting inflammation. I’m likely going to be taking NAC long term.
      Yes, it’s probable. When it comes to big business especially in America, they can never be fully trusted in doing the right thing because we know profits/growth have always been their top priorities for a while now (since the Reagan administration). It wouldn’t be surprising to me if they’ve been lobbying against NAC. Actually, the drug industry has been ramping up their spending on lobbying in the last 2 years with Pfizer being one of the top spenders. Gee, I wonder why...

The FDA is already talking about wanting to ban and exclude NAC from being sold as a dietary supplement. Their reasoning wasn’t all that convincing to be honest too. Something to do with NAC being used as a drug initially... Whatever, I don’t care. Lots of people are using it. If it gets banned here in the United States, people will end up just smuggling it anyways.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @ZFire -- The following video has some good instructions. I started the video at the end where you can see a dramatic difference in the appearance of the author after he was able to clear out a mold infection in his head and sinuses.

Hydrogen Peroxide Nebulizer for Sinus Cleansing - UPDATED!

You may also want to research nebulizing glutathione, which is able to heal nerve damage.

Glutathione: the most powerful antioxidant in your body // Spartan HEALTH 037

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Can we build dependence on NAC? Any possibility of tinnitus getting worse than your baseline when you stop taking NAC?

I have been taking NAC for more than a month and am wondering if I should stop due to two concerns: if it's habit forming/causes dependence; if it can cause serious issues like cancer when used in the long term.

I read elsewhere that it's recommended to cycle it because too much anti-oxidants can be harmful for us somehow.

5. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have read about the use of NAC for treating addiction. Maybe this dependency only applies to addicts? Meaning if they stop the NAC, they’ll relapse and go back to their addiction, therefore they need to stay on NAC indefinitely to manage their addiction?

I’m spitballing out my arse here, but I’ve never heard or read anything in regards to building dependence on NAC nor have I read anything about tinnitus getting worse after stoppage. NAC is well regarded here and elsewhere if anything.
      I don’t think there should be a cause for concern, but I suppose it’s better to be safe than sorry. I would try not to overthink these kind of things.
      This is news to me. Can you direct me to where you read this?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just speaking of my own experience with NAC: no dependence whatsoever. I took it for 6 months straight, not skipping a dose, 1200 mg per day. I stopped cold turkey taking it: no withdrawal symptoms, nothing.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Pitseleh, any benefits though?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not related to tinnitus nor hyperacusis, but I never caught a cold when I was NAC, even when my wife and daughter were sick. Has to be related, because I'm easily catching flu symptoms.

Benefits for tinnitus or hyperacusis after 6 months of taking 1200 mg daily: none.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Did your tinnitus or hyperacusis get worse in these 6 months?

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you don't get colds while taking NAC, that sounds like quite a benefit. Colds/flus can greatly exacerbate tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's been getting constantly worse in the past 5 years so, yes. As I said, no impact whatsoever. It gets worse with or without colds so this benefit is not that big of a deal for me.

13. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      I'm so glad NAC is back on the market. It is so important. The benefits for the immune system and neuropathy are tremendous. I started taking it daily again. Really hope that my tinnitus goes back to tolerable levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Lane, so I came into contact with relatives who have been quite sick from the flu these past few days. Yesterday, I was feeling sick all day, but the symptoms were kept to a minimal. A slight migraine, chills, and body aches were the only symptoms I felt, unlike my relatives who have been experiencing an wide array of symptoms such as sore throat, coughing, fever, fatigued, stuffy noise, aches, etc.

I wake up today and I’m feeling rejuvenated and as good as can be while my relatives are still feeling the flu’s effects (slowly getting better though).

As you know, I’ve been taking NAC 1200 mg daily and so I feel like my daily consumption of NAC (for months now) likely played a role in my quick recovery and flu severity. There’s absolute merit to this study.

#NAC4Life

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @ZFire -- Great recovery story. I think this NAC study and your experience is relevant to everyone with tinnitus, which always seems to spike during extended periods of respiratory and/or infectious illness.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. ajk650
      Creative

ajk650 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Surgery
      I had never heard of NAC until I found this thread. My tinnitus came on from a middle ear surgery that I had to cure my middle ear myoclonus. My tensor tympani and stapedius muscle were cut in my right ear which has left me without protective muscles to dampen loud noises and makes me fearful of my tinnitus getting worse with time.

Having a supplement like this to provide some protection to my ears is exactly what I need. I just ordered a bottle and plan to take 1200 mg daily. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    17. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      So sorry to hear that. How loud is your tinnitus? Did the ear muscle vibrating get resolved? Did you have clicking or thumping?

Was the surgery done with a laser or a blade?

I have MEM but also tinnitus. I'm scared to do the surgery in case my tinnitus worsens or I develop hyperacusis.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    18. ajk650
      Creative

ajk650 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Surgery
      The surgery was done with a laser. The tinnitus fluctuates and can be masked but is still bothersome and constant. It's a hissing sound. I had clicking and crackling in my ear in response to sounds, especially my own voice. It was terrible.

The surgery worked to completely eliminate my MEM symptoms, but I've been left with tinnitus as a result. To me it sort of feels like it was a lateral move. Traded one problem for another, though I think the MEM was far worse.

The fight continues...

• Hug Hug x 7
    19. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When we talk about NAC, what is the difference between N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine and N-Acetylcysteine?

20. ashcash

ashcash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Bar Music 9/2019) (worsened by MRI 12/2019)
      NAC made my tinnitus worse. 3-4 new tones.

Just to add another personal anecdote. After reading this thread, several others, and summaries of every medical study re NAC that I could find I decided to take 600 mg. I was a little worried because I saw maybe two accounts of it making people's tinnitus worse but after all I read I figured it was worth the risk. But it made my tinnitus worse. I definitely made an educated gamble in taking it, it just didn't work out.

My tinnitus is noise-induced and has gotten worse via noise 4 times prior to me trying NAC in Thanksgiving.

21. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      Another one reporting in with a spike 1.5 hour after taking NAC. It's been 24 hours and my spike is roaring. No more supplements for me. None of them are proven to effectively help tinnitus, why risk making it worse it if there is no proven benefit...?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      The study that I looked at was giving NAC as a mechanism to increase glutathione status which in turn showed effectiveness in reducing noise induced hearing loss from loud exposures in a military setting. I do not know if NAC has shown to reduce tinnitus long after onset or at all.

George

• Like Like x 1
    23. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      NAC is like a nonprescriptive Prednisone, though obviously not as strong and without the nasty side effects.

Like Prednisone; it may help you, it may not.

However, as indicated by @GeorgeLG, it needs to be taken at onset (just like Prednisone) for best chance of good result.

24. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @InNeedOfHelp -- Not sure if you're aware, but supplementing with NAC is one of the best ways to quickly increase the body's glutathione levels, which is often called the body's "master anti-oxidant". A doctor I used to see had worked in ERs for years, and said that NAC was first thing they administered when anybody came in with any kind of toxic exposure.

When taken at other times, it can actually cause an increase in detoxification in the body, leading to toxic overload effects (usually temporary). One way to counter that is to take charcoal capsules, which can absorb some of that toxicity. Other things that work are detox baths using Epsom salts and/or bentonite clay, or doing saunas which can expel toxins through the skin.

Even if you did none of the above, I'd be surprised if your tinnitus spike lasted very long at all. I hope not anyway!

• Like Like x 2
    25. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I've been taking 2400 of NAC for almost 2 weeks for OCD and to help with my benzo taper. I don't think there has been any spike associated with NAC, and I've been on multiple meds for a while (Luvox, Pregabalin and Diazepam).

26. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @juliob -- The most common recommendations I've seen for supplementing with NAC are 600 mg or 1200 mg. daily. Not trying to dissuade you or anything, but my initial take is 2,400 mg daily may be more than necessary. Just a thought. -- Take care.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Lane, this is not universally true. If you had recommended eating natural foods, I would agree. Supplements are unregulated so there is no way of knowing the quality or quantity of what you are hoping to get. Many are now owned by big pharma and this is increasing. They still, however, remain unregulated. Fat soluble vitamins and minerals are most likely to cause problems as excess amounts can easily be taken. Water soluble vitamins are usually safe as any leftover become expensive piss essentially. If supplements were regulated and taken as prescribed, then yes, they can be beneficial but only where deficiency lies. For instance, vitamin D in the context of COVID-19 had some scientific basis for protection.

Medication can be dangerous or very beneficial. It is regulated and you know what your getting (COVID-19 vaccines aside) For instance, medication for HIV extends life by around 40 years. That is a cocktail of 4-5 medications. Originally a single medication extended life for 5 years but a cocktail improved the lifespan.

Other medications like Metformin are sought after not only for diabetes, but also for life extension properties. Antipsychotics can address unhealthy balances in dopamine by bringing it back into a healthy state.

I don't like black and white thinking as life is full of nuances and grey areas. Whilst you mean well, you could do harm or at the least get people spending money on treatments with no efficacy.

In terms of supplementing with herbs, vitamins and minerals, if one does not have a deficiency, then point me towards a good study that shows efficacy for treating tinnitus or hyperacusis.

I have seen one study that showed some benefit and the study design was good:

The Effect of Antioxidant Supplementation in Patients with Tinnitus and Normal Hearing or Hearing Loss: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Trial

As for NAC, it seems to be a component in some medications being used for prevention of acute noise-induced hearing loss.

Most of the relevant research being done is regarding potassium channel modulators, compounds to stimulate hearing regeneration or to modulate specific neurons in the DCN.

Would you turn down these future treatments if they are successful and become available?

You seem to be banging the anti-medication drum and praising the vastly growing empire of supplements of which many have to be made synthetically, otherwise they biodegrade or undergo oxidization within minutes to days.

I ask you to reconsider your position into adopting a more balanced position.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My goodness @Nick47, I almost don't know where to start. I'll just mention however that the regulation you refer regarding medication is only "pseudo" regulation, at best. There's a LOT of corruption in the drug approval process, and a lot of (criminal) delay (politically and financially motivated) to keep harmful drugs on the market long after it's become clear they're dangerous. Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost because of this. Pharmaceutical companies have paid billions in fines and penalties over the years because of their criminal behaviors.

Even drugs when used properly end up killing many people. Ototoxic drugs have also caused many cases of permanent tinnitus. Many others (such as fluoroquinolone antibiotics) have maimed and disabled untold thousands of people. I could go on and on. When I make the point that (unregulated) supplements like amino acids, vitamins, herbs etc. are in a different risk category than pharmaceutical drugs, what I'm referring to is that they very seldom (if ever) kill people, cause tinnitus, or disable people.

You may think that's some kind of unbalanced position, but I think it's a pretty clear-eyed view of the many dangers of conventional drug-oriented medicine. I believe some drugs do have their place, but I very much favor (when possible) the non-drug oriented approach taken by most Naturopathic Doctors, and other Functional Medicine Doctors. Debilitating conditions such as schizophrenia, depression, OTC, and many more can be completely reversed by targeting certain nutritional deficiencies, such as lithium, niacin, thiamine, etc.

To suggest I may be causing some kind of "harm" by advocating for some of these perspectives on this forum feels a bit over the top. I never force my beliefs on anybody else. I think it's everybody's responsibility to do their own research regarding their health care decisions. For me to point out some of the pitfalls of modern medicine, and suggest considering safer non-drug approaches feels like a service I can provide because of my extensive research into much of this over many years.

That said, I do not doubt your sincerity, or your genuine concern for others. I think however, you should perhaps give them more credit for being able to discern what tidbits of information to take from an online support forum, and which ones to discard. As they say, to each their own. -- Take care!

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Lane, I'm very much in agreement with the role pharma has played in greed and deceit. The false claims and hiding of data reached new lows with these ineffective and sometimes dangerous vaccines. I was just asking for a more balanced view. There are safe and effective medications and it's not all been bad. For instance, in HIV medication can vastly extend life that no natural compound can. Antibiotics have saved many lives. There are people on this forum with other diseases than tinnitus who need medication. Obviously we all would like perfect health and a natural approach. I was yesterday looking at a study from 2019 that showed ALA and Multivitamin/Mineral reduced tinnitus. I will order from Lambert who make pharma grade stuff and try. Lots of exclusion criteria in the trial though.

In the UK Holland & Barrett operate almost like big pharma with their supplement claims.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PubMed article (1964) shows NAC can significantly reduce blood pressure in only 4 weeks. Too bad more doctors don't prescribe NAC to see if it works, before resorting to blood pressure reducing prescription drugs. My best guess is NAC, along with improved diet and lifestyle changes could control most cases of high blood pressure.

Oral N-acetylcysteine reduces plasma homocysteine concentrations regardless of lipid or smoking status

Design: We evaluated the effect of 4 wk of oral NAC (1.8 g/d) on tHcy (primary endpoint), plasma thiol (cysteine), and intracellular glutathione concentrations as well as on blood pressure. The HYL group had total cholesterol >220 mg/dL or triglycerides >150 mg/dL.

Results: NAC treatment significantly (P = 0.001, multivariate analysis of variance for repeated measures) lowered postabsorptive plasma concentrations of tHcy by -11.7% ± 3.0% (placebo: 4.1% ± 3.6%) while increasing those of cysteine by 28.1% ± 5.7% (placebo: 4.0% ± 3.4%) with no significant impact of hyperlipidemia or smoking. Moreover, NAC significantly decreased systolic (P = 0.003) and diastolic (P = 0.017) blood pressure within all subjects with a significant reduction in diastolic pressure in the HYL group (P = 0.008) but not in the NOL group. An explorative stepwise multiple regression analysis identified 1) post-treatment cysteine as well as 2) pretreatment tHcy and 3) albumin plasma concentrations as being significant contributors to tHcy reduction.

Conclusions: Four weeks of oral NAC treatment significantly decreased plasma tHcy concentrations, irrespective of lipid or smoking status, and lowered systolic blood pressure in both normolipidemic and hyperlipidemic men, with significant diastolic blood pressure reductions in the HYL group only. Increased oral intake of cysteine may therefore be considered for primary or secondary prevention of vascular events with regard to the 2 independent risk factors of hyperhomocysteinemia and arterial hypertension.​

• Informative Informative x 2