N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I take NAC pretty regularly as sort of a precaution. It seems to help my asthma as well.

I talked with some of the reps at the Vitamin Shoppe, and they said they will continue carrying NAC regardless of the FDA nonsense.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That would be my guess.

3. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Wow, I never made the connection but this happens to me as well. Thanks for the tip, I'll try taking NAC earlier and see if that corrects it. I've been suffering from RLS for months and it started right around the time I started regularly supplementing with the NAC...

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Same here, I first experienced RLS when I started taking NAC. I haven't had RLS now since avoiding NAC later in the day. I take it only before noon now just to be safe.

5. Hamsti

Hamsti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything, I suppose. Stress, high cholesterol, TMJ...
      I don't know if it was mentioned before, but in Germany you can buy NAC in pharmacies, and they list tinnitus as a relatively common side effect. Can someone explain why?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    6. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Because nutters, @Hamsti.

You really have to take side effect listings with a grain of salt.

All it takes is a handful of people to develop tinnitus and not know why. Then as they go over and over what could be the root cause in their mind, they have their lightbulb moment and go: "oh yeah, I was taking that supplement at the time!".

And so the nutraceutical company in question will do the natural thing, and cover their arses from any future lawsuits, by listing tinnitus as a side effect.

I'm not saying all side effect listings are nonsense, or to be ignored, but god you don't half see some crazy sh*t on those drug labels sometimes.

7. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I too would like insight in this.

Anyone?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Hamsti

Hamsti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would totally agree with you, but in this case the side effects list says 1 in 100 reports tinnitus.

On the one hand, that's a possibility of 1%, but on the other hand, I know my luck :D

• Like Like x 1
    9. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Take a daily SSRI, sometimes take NAC, occasionally use Valium: never had any problems.

But I think you might be talking about taking all three regularly, alongside each other (?)

I believe I've taken all three on the same day at least once if not twice, but it's not something I do daily.

My personal take: seeing as NAC is used mostly for neutralising acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose, it would only lessen the effect of said painkiller. Doubt it would have any effect on either an SSRI or a benzo.

Get more opinions on this first though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      That's really interesting @Hamsti...

In fact you piqued my interest when you said the NAC actually came with a list of side effects. Is this normal in Germany? Just, here in the UK, it's very rare for supplements (not drugs) to have side effects listed on/with them

My first thought, is that if it says 1 in 100 then it's likely a conclusion based on a trial that was run. So assuming the trial would even been as big as say, 200 people, that's still just 2 people reporting tinnitus during the trial, and we know how unreliable people with tinnitus are, generally, at deciding what the root cause of tinnitus was.

However, in hindsight, I do think I was a little too quick to dismiss there being any link, as there were people in this thread who reported temporary spikes after taking NAC. Then again, caffeine makes my tinnitus temporarily worse and I still drink Green Tea a couple times a week, because I just can't get enough of that earthy flavour and warm flushing feeling I get after drinking it. The spike never lasts longer than 48 hours.

Anyway, my advice to you @Hamsti, is if you want to try NAC, then just buy some and take a single 600mg dose, then see if it causes you any problem. If it does, it will only be temporary (as mentioned above), if not, you've got another weapon in your arsenal against noise induced tinnitus spikes in future.

11. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have read NAC may have some anticoagulant effects on blood, maybe it affects blood flow which then for some results in tinnitus. I have heard "blood thinning" medication might also impact tinnitus for some, dependent on dose, duration,etc. Guess it depends on your blood pressure and some other parameters.

The effect of N-acetylcysteine on blood coagulation and platelet function in patients undergoing open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm

I have never spoken to a doctor about this though, where I live there is no list of side effects due to NAC being a supplement.

12. Hamsti

Hamsti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, in Germany supplements actually have side effect lists, even Magnesium has one :)
      Germans love bureaucracy and regulations.

That is the problem, everything that is supposed to help against tinnitus, triggers or worsens it for some people. You never know, thats why I only take magnesium for now. The NAC is on my bedside table and think about taking it everyday.

But everything I tried to improve my situation worsened it so far, hm... I want to start healing. But thanks for your advice :)

• Like Like x 1
    13. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Actually I believe it will not lessen the effect of acetaminophen, as what NAC does is to make sure the liver do not run out of antioxidants that breaks down certain toxic metabolites of the drug.

14. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      You're correct.

Acetaminophen in Combination With N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) Versus Placebo in Treating Fever - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
      In fact, one study in male rats even suggested NAC might enhance the analgesic effects of acetaminophen.

N-acetylcysteine dose-dependently improves the analgesic effect of acetaminophen on the rat hot plate test | BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)
      Also, I looked further into my guess that NAC wouldn't affect SSRIs or Benzos.

Benzos:
      I searched all over and couldn't find any mention of the two interacting, therefore I'm inclined to conclude that they're safe together.

SSRIs:
      N-Acetyl Cysteine in the Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review (nih.gov)
      So might actually enhance the effects of SSRIs.

Truly a wonderous medication.

15. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      When you have another molecule taking up real estate on an enzyme or that binds as a shuttle to another molecule it doesn't surprise me it makes that molecule more effective.

What a dumb study/waste of money.

It's like running a trial to see if taking an alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor will increase the effect of booze.

16. Suaimhneach

Suaimhneach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take NAC every morning with my Lexapro, I might take a Xanax every so often when needed. Never had any issues. I do get a pain in my stomach sometimes after taking the NAC / Lexapro, but presume that is because I take them on an empty stomach which is how (I think) NAC should be taken.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      NAC is just kind of, synonymous, with stomach complaints. I get a burning sensation whenever I take mine, and that's on a full stomach (I like to follow the instructions on the back of the label when it comes to supplements; all the brands I've used so far say to "take with a meal" so that's what I do. That said, I take more than the RDA most of the time, so, y'know... whatevs! XD).

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My NAC-containers have never had any RDA listed. The pills have been 600 mg, although the text have said "Daily value not established". What has been listed as RDA on your NAC, and how much have you taken when getting stomach issues?

19. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Both brands I've used state the RDA as 600 mg (one capsule).
      I switch between taking 600 mg and 1200 mg, dependent on the level of noise exposure that's prompted me to take NAC in the first place.

I'd say I've had a burning sensation in my stomach on every 3/5 of the occasions I've used it. Dosage doesn't seem to influence the likelihood of experiencing this side effect; there are times I've taken 1200 mg and had no complaints, and then times I've taken 600 mg and had heartburn for the rest of the day.

But if I do take the higher dose and I have this reaction, then the severity is undoubtedly increased.

• Like Like x 1
    20. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      I have taken NAC and Lexapro (SSRI) and Prednisone all together at once with no problems. NAC and Lexapro together as well quite a few times with no problems. Just my experience.

Since then I take 600 mg twice daily.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I take both benzo 1 mg klonopin / 20 mg lexapro daily and 1200 mg NAC no problems no help either

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Brandon Wong

Brandon Wong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Has anyone tried this from Amazon?

572D0F3D-C906-4A46-B572-8E76EB43D429.png

Or how about this one?

314365AD-FDE8-4F92-A19D-3658E030CEA7.png

23. jdanield

jdanield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      construction - "chop saw"
      Yes on the Carnitine - no on the Cysteine.

Here's my list of failed trials, to date.

si far.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I take Gabapentin too. 400 mg twice a day. It's for nerve pain in my foot... not sure if it helps my tinnitus. I want to increase the dosage but have heard horror stories.

What do you take it for? Have you had to increase dosage throughout the years for it to have the same effect? Any side effects?

25. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      NAC is used as a precursor for increasing Glutathione which is difficult to absorb directly. NAC needs to be combined with cofactors such as Glycine to make the conversion but the cofactors are usually available. Glutathione is called the master antioxidant and is necessary for proper ear health and has protective effects from the oxidative stress damage caused by a loud sound exposure when available in adequate levels. NAC does not directly protect your hearing before it's converted.

George

26. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I believe NAC gives me temporary pulsatile (whooshing) tinnitus. Anyone else with the same experience?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Michael17
      Alienated

Michael17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I started taking NAC (600 mg in the morning) about 2 weeks ago. I have reactive tinnitus and unless there are other factors at play (always a possibility with tinnitus), my tinnitus has gone up significantly. Mostly whooshing/hissing sounds, combined with some various tones due to the reactive nature of my tinnitus. I had started incorporating NAC as part of my daily supplement regiment primarily for immune function support (along with D, C, and Quercetin).

I am thinking of stopping for a week and seeing what happens. I guess I am part of the 1% which might have an adverse reaction to NAC (seems crazy though).

I will report back.

28. JFred

JFred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain
      I recently got a form of tinnitus after what I suspect to be an ear infection, and upon learning that NAC can prevent tinnitus and help with ear infections I bought some Acetylcysteine (Granon). It says Acetylcysteine and not N-Acetylcysteine but from my understanding it's the same thing.

But to my shock, upon reading the info leaflet, it says under "less common side effects, 1 in 100" that it can CAUSE tinnitus.

I've looked everywhere online and all the information I find says Acetylcysteine can help preventing it. I'm beyond confused. Any idea/explanation as to how or why this is listed? Is it simply based off of reported side effects, and since this one (which only contains Acetylcysteine) is sold as a medication to clear up mucus, there's a causation correlation type of issue? I find it strange how the manufacturer would list a potential side effect that the active ingredient is shown to have pretty much the opposite effect on.

29. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Take any given supplement, herb or drug: it will affect people's tinnitus differently.

30. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      NAC is converted into glutathione or glutamate, dependent on whether you have a B6 deficiency or not.