Nasty Eye Floaters After Getting Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chad Lawton, May 29, 2018.

1. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      So, going on 3.5 months since I acquired tinnitus via loud noise exposure/drug toxicity.

At about the 2 month mark I started to notice my eye floaters a little more than normal, I've always had them since I was a kid and I distinctly remember being able to look up at the sky and see them, never worried or bothered me in the slightest and I could only see them if I tried. I never really saw them in day to day life. They were always the clear squiggly ones.

Today, I can't step foot outside without seeing them everywhere I look, even on an overcast day. Not only are the clear ones there but now I have a few black ones that are even worse. They are drifting across my vision as I type this.... As if this hell couldn't get any worse...anyone else experience this?

I find it hard to believe it doesn't have something to do with the brains sensory processing area after getting tinnitus. Got an appointment with the eye doc tomorrow to get it checked out.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went to the eye doc today, everything checked out fine. Those drops really messed me up though, I have pretty excellent vision so its weird to have the vision of a 65 year old for a few hours. lol

This tells that it is a brain issue, I'm surprised there isn't more research out there on the correlation between eye floaters and tinnitus. Hopefully I can learn to re-tune these out like the pre-tinnitus days. Otherwise, I'm going to be swatting at gnats the rest of my life.

• Like Like x 1
    3. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I’ve had floaters for 20 years or so. There are fleks in your eyes that are there since birth. They usually start at the top of the eye. As we age the liquid/gel in our eyes become thinner. When this happens the fleks at the top of the eye start to float down...

In case anyone cares :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I get that. I've always had floaters since I was kid, they were always the clear squiggly kind and I could only see them when I looked up at the sky. Now that I've had tinnitus for 3.5 months, they've started to show up in lower lighting conditions and now I'm seeing black ones as well and I can see them everywhere. I don't find it hard to believe that since tinnitus has been shown to affect the entire brain that it could affect our sensory processing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I developed a big wormy eye floater after getting tinnitus too. Also had some things like little whizzing atoms, flashes and trippy ocular migraines (without pain). Ophthalmologist said everything was fine...

6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Black eye floaters.

2463971_1416338106.6363.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I started developing eye floaters in my left eye about 6 months before tinnitus, but I only noticed them at night when on my computer.

I am now 4 months into tinnitus and when I go outside the floaters are so bad I feel unsteady on my feet. I have clear ones and black ones. The left eye is really bad. I have 1 black floater in my right eye which isn't troublesome. My left side is also worse for tinnitus. The whole left side of my brain has a somatosensory pulsatile static. This is scaring me.

My tinnitus baseline gets worse by the week and so do the floaters.

What next?

8. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hey sorry to hear this. I have horrible floaters too. I don’t have to look for them to see them and it almost feels like I’m in a snow globe outside.

I got my prescription sunglasses yesterday. I was hoping they would really help but unfortunately they kind of just take the edge off. I mean I still see a couple of my bothersome dark ones, it’s a little less bad so far but I can still unfortunately see them, it just looks like I have a little less but I only took them outside once for like 20 minutes so we will see when I go camping or something.

I think there are no sunglasses that can completely hide floaters when it’s severe enough.

My quality of life feels extremely bad now. Intrusive severe tinnitus and horrible floaters on top of it.

I meant to reply when you asked in another post how long it took my severe tinnitus to become less severe. I meant to answer but I got busy. My tinnitus is still severe but other people with tinnitus can get better with time because that’s what I read.

9. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I had floaters long before tinnitus and continue to have them after developing tinnitus.

10. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      I saw an increase in the number of floaters in my left eye. My left ear is the one that got damaged more, so I don't think it's a coincidence.

11. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      I got a sudden increase in eye floaters a few months before my tinnitus onset. Still present and bothersome, in addition to my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Wondering if the appearance of floaters was a sign and/or related to the ear problems that came afterwards...

12. Jordan F

Jordan F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident/truama/stress
      I too started seeing my floaters after tinnitus, about a month after. It has to be something in the brain having a hard time figuring things out.