New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leniere had approval in Ireland for an earlier version of their device, and they have basically just claimed this also applies to Leniere while also saying the tech has been improved and being cagey about publishing full data. So, no mystery there, they had UK clearance.

They do not have clearance in the US and it's very unclear if they will beat the UMich device here, or not.

If anyone involved in the current UMich study can speak to how Covid has affected it, I am interested to know -- I rather expect that has thrown a jackknife into the gears of all sorts of ongoing research.

2. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To linearb:

Very insightful comment about "jackknife" delay. Yesterday AP News said that there may be 200,000 dead from COVID-19 in the US by October. However, much is opening back up around here.

On YouTube there is a somewhat recent, outstanding British Stage production of "Waiting For Godot." Every time (which is about 15) Vladimir conversed with Estragon: "Let's go / We can't / Why? / We're waiting for Godot", I thought of the argument I incessantly have with myself: "Give up hoping for a Real Treatment / You can't / Why?/ You're waiting for Susan Shore."

Last year my ENT Doctor said that it showed promise, but had thus far been tested on not a large enough sampling of patients for him to be able to form definitive conclusions about. It feels as if the Glaciers formed the Great Lakes in less time than it will take for me to undergo treatment with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. thinlay
      Alienated

thinlay Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syndrome of costen ? not sure
      Will this work for the chronic cases, like if you have had tinnitus for more than 1 year?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      Yes.

• Like Like x 2
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I can see it now...

Susan Shore: "My thingie is ready for market..."
      World: "Tinnitus has been cured"
      Susan Shore: "Thank God, because my toy only works for mild tinnitus with no hearing loss, and only lucky people".

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      This is why I believe Susan Shore will not be releasing this at all. By the time she releases it, tinnitus will be cured.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    7. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      This is my take:

Susan Shore finally emerges from her lab.

Susan Shore: "Eureka! My thingie is ready for market! Tinnitus has been cured!"

World:

planet-apes-ending.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    8. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      More like:

Susan Shore (5 years from now): "Our Phase 2 trial has been delayed 2 more years because (insert made-up irrelevant and vague excuse here), Also this device is not yet commercially available for "reasons"."
      World: "Tinnitus has been cured"
      Susan Shore: "Thank God. Now I don't have to pretend that I am trying".

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Just a speculation:

Are all of these seemingly never-ending, above-described reasons for delays and overly specific requirements really because her results have been (but not yet publicized) as disappointing and discouraging as those produced by Lenire?

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      LOL I like your version funnier.

11. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      How long away are we from a magic pill that cures tinnitus, if you had to guess??

• Like Like x 1
    12. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Don't forget the, "it also only treats patients with tinnitus onset of preferably < 1 year" criteria (coz y'know, treating anyone beyond the window of time when many report an easing of symptoms would be just too difficult).

• Funny Funny x 2
    13. Mr.tdog15

Mr.tdog15 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic meds ciprofloxacin
      I'd like to know the same thing will we ever get a magic pill which will cure everybody tinnitus or is that impossible even in the next 50 years? ????

14. Earman

Earman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      We all will be hearing silence again one day!

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      In the grave.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    16. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      Why are you guys throwing a tantrum at of Dr. Shore's device? Something she said in the few last months?

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      What device?

• Funny Funny x 6
    18. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That's a good question and it deserves a big answer.

Bottom line is nobody knows; even if Frequency's FX-322 worked - the whole progenitor cell activation to cure deafness was pretty much a serendipitous discovery - they never set out to cure hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Because we know she is never going to release it and when she does there will be no need for it since hearing regeneration medicine will be out by then to solve tinnitus.

20. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      I don't know anything about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      She is being slower than a sloth under anesthesia in trying to bring this treatment to fruition, as I wrote elsewhere. She is a great and rigorous scientist but the time this is taking is crazy. She could save lives literally but this is taking forever.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Chinmoku:

Out of curiousity I checked the date of our Chicago Tribune article about her tinnitus treatment, and it was in early January 2018. It implied that rigorous, substantial testing was already completed.

What has been occurring during the last two and one half years that could present such a formidable obstacle towards commercialization and release?

My only hope is that her real data so far is not as disappointing as Lenire's has been, which explains this truly baffling procrastination (especially regarding requirements for eligibility.)

No matter what, however, if my ENT Doctor said his practice offered it and there was a chance of some improvement I would immediately be the first to try it.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      Ah, if she was surrounded only by smart people, and no fools.

24. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Or... the taking forever without a tangible time line is because of the ineffective rollout of the Lenire device which is a close cousin and bi-modal stimulation doesn't have the efficacy across the board and will never be viable. More cynicism? This device aka its development is her job security. I don't like to believe the latter is true or criticize her without foundation but I believe the camp of being 'overly rigorous'... this ship is sailing or has sailed. Outside looking in, this device 'may' show marginal efficacy if any to the majority of tinnitus sufferers and tuning maybe both elusive and hyper sensitive and critical for 'any' sort of benefit. I believe the Leniere device has dashed many hopes... otherwise we would be all booking a plane ride to Europe in spite of COVID-19 ;). The hard to watch painful test protraction and half promises of any efficacy are more of a pipe dream.

Color me skeptical. If something is a slam dunk, I have to believe it would have passed muster by now.

My opinion of course.

• Like Like x 1
    25. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      As is the case with many discoveries. Accidental. Pure invention out of the blue is extremely rare. Invention is mostly derivative. Association of cause and effect and trial and error.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      My bet is that Lenire has a big competitive advantage. It now has a lot of data from patients, which allows them to improve and upgrade the device; this has happened in many industries.

I am still a big believer in Susan Shore, we supported her a lot with the STAT Madness and I will still support her, and I want to believe she is not launching the device until it perfectly works.

But I would also like to thank Lenire for launching the device, they have now a lot of feedback from patients and they can start an internal process to improve and upgrade their treatment in the following years.

If they both are reading this post, please don't stop trying to make our lives better!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    27. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      That's the way things go when you're finding your way in the dark. Medical scientists have come to access a tremendous wealth of information in the last decades. Many remaining medical challenges are merely engineering problems.

28. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      From what I’ve read on the two devices / treatment methods I believe the Shore device will be the most effective. Shore has published her research on the Bimodal timings that they found worked for reducing tinnitus. From what I have seen of Lenire’s timings settings, none of them seem to match what Shore published as effective for reducing tinnitus. Hopefully we don’t have to wait too much painstakingly longer to see results of Shore’s current trial.

29. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      I still say if her device works, wait for Lenire to come to the US. She can then file a claim that she has a similar device and thus doesn't need any more trials.

30. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      A lot of truth to this. E.g., from the web, The first name for penicillin was “mould juice.” Scottish bacteriologist Alexander Fleming accidentally discovered the antibiotic in 1928, when he came back from a vacation and found that a green mold called Pennicilium notatum had contaminated Petri dishes in his lab … and were killing some of the bacteria he’d been growing.