New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      As a tinnitus sufferer of 30 years I can believe it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Tomas80

Tomas80 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow. Maybe stress?
      I'm afraid we won't see progress until the team boss is replaced. With all due respect, Dr. Shore finds an excuse every year. I think Dr. Tzounopoulos will overtake bimodal stimulation with his drug.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      All I am asking for is tinnitus relief. I don't need my hearing restored.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      No chance for release this year; she plans to finish trials by the end of 2021 and, if successful, commercialize it in 2022.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Has COVID-19 slowed her trials down? How do you know she plans on releasing the device in 2022?

6. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      COVID-19 did slow everything down by about a year. My understanding from an interview with her prior to the beginning of COVID-19 was that she was planning on finishing the study by the end of 2020 and then pushing through quickly to production.

Looking at the new clinical study timing information, it should be finishing at the end of 2021 and I guess our assumptions are she still plans to bring it to market quickly, so that would make it 2022.

7. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I just received this email today from [The Shore Lab] - I think the criteria looks more lenient and the trial has officially resumed.

Dear Inquirant,

Thank you for contacting us about the Shore Lab Tinnitus clinical trial. We are pleased to let you know that our study has resumed following the University's guidelines to minimize the spread of COVID.

If you or someone you know fit the following criteria, please contact us at 734-763-5159, the study team email, and/or pass on the attached flyer (or send this link).

Subjects must:
      1. have had bothersome tinnitus for at least 6 months
      2. have no more than a mild hearing loss (better than 40dB)
      3. live within 100 miles of Ann Arbor, MI
      Thank you for your time and please reach out if you have any questions! Do note that we may not be able to respond to phone calls immediately.

The Shore Lab
      The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

• Like Like x 2
    8. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I live like an hour from Ann Arbor and emailed them. The only thing that disqualified me was that I have had tinnitus less than six months :cry:

• Like Like x 1
    9. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      You could have lied. Not like anyone would have known how long you have had tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      Well perhaps that means it will likely go away. If not, the study will probably be active for several months.

11. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I would go as far as make me totally deaf and I will throw in my right arm to not hear this bastard.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      And how would that be useful for people with tinnitus? If my tinnitus went away not because of the study but because of it going away on its own, the study results would be totally fucked.

People who lie to get into research studies and skew results are shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I commend your integrity. You rather commit suicide (I read your comments in the Suicidal thread) than lie your way into a clinical trial and possibly skew the results of the trial.

I hope you get better and don't need to leave this Earth.

14. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I really would. I don't think it would be fair to others who are counting on the efficacy of the results to lie. Besides I've already told the truth. I can't go back and change my response.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Seriously.

16. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Would they now accept people who are taking a low dose of benzos? I know in the past they didn't.

17. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      You did the right thing. Would it perhaps be possible to re-apply in a few months? I'd imagine that recruiting might be slow, given the current pandemic.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      DON'T LIE - Make this a standard policy. @ajc is entirely correct. If you lied and they eventually found out, could they have you arrested (consider the fates of those who lied on their College Admission Applications)? Or, could they sue you in Civil Court for the cost of interfering with the Clinical Trial?

And as a Commercial Property Insurance Adjuster, I can guarantee that your Homeowner's Liability Policy would not cover such an Intentional Act.

19. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I don't know if I can make it a few more months to be honest. Every bit of joy in my life is gone.

20. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      You can make it. For most tinnitus is short lived in the range of several months. Lots of people here have been suffering for years and even decades. You'll acclimate as your brain calms down. Likely, like most people, you'll have good and bad days. And you just have to hope that it resolves itself sooner than later. Beyond that a lot of treatments are coming down the pipe within the next few years.

As for applying, just email them and be honest. Tell them what a struggle it currently is and that it would be an immense help if you could get in on it sooner than later.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    21. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Seeing as the half-life of most benzos is quite short, it wouldn't be a problem so long as you have a week to get them out of your system. Point in fact, you should be doing your utmost to use them as little as possible. Beyond the addictive properties, the efficacy of them diminishes the more you use them on a regular basis. Try using Chelated Magnesium capsules 200mg. It helps calm the brain and there's no risk of addiction. There are also some natural anti-depressants that can help.

• Like Like x 3
    22. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Just popped into to say I received the same email today myself. Even though I'm in Toronto, I'd relocate to Windsor or even Ann Arbor itself for a month or so to take part in this.

Anyone know how long and what kind of commitment the participation for the trial is?

23. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      This was really helpful and I'm reading through other supportive posts which has helped. Today was a better day actually. I might reach back out and explain my situation. All I can do is try.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree with what they said. I'm 2.5 years in with tinnitus that gradually worsened to the point that 50% of the days out of the year I have severe ringing. But I'm still here. And I still try to do the same things in life when it's not at its worst. You will make it and you're still within the 6 month window so it can improve. There are many promising drugs and potential treatments on the way so it's probably a really good time to get this condition. Even if you don't get in this trial, by the time it's completed you'll hit the end of that 6 month window. So look at it that way.

• Like Like x 1
    25. athan86
      Angelic

athan86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Repetitive Strain Injury (probably)
      Your words gave me courage! Thank you! Do we know the year when a drug might be available?

26. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I received this email as well but I live in Montreal, Quebec, which is much farther than 100 miles away from Ann Arbor, and not sure about COVID-19 and border crossing restrictions.

Although due to how bad my tinnitus is, I would have liked to participate.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I was supposed to be part of the clinical trial in January 2020, but got pregnant and then had a miscarriage.

And then COVID-19 happened and I couldn't do the trial.

My tinnitus is getting worse. What I'm nervous about is they won't let me join the trial unless I get an MRI. I read the horror stories on here of getting an MRI.

Is it worth it getting an MRI to be able to join the trial?

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Would it be possible to rent a place in Detroit for two months? You could quarantine and then start the trial. Maybe a few Canadians could get a place together?

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      If your tinnitus is noise induced, I would advise strongly against an MRI, as the chance of getting a severe worsening from it is high. If your tinnitus is not noise induced, the risk is reduced; I can't really say what I would choose to do in that case.

• Like Like x 1
    30. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I've had 3 MRIs since getting tinnitus, and never had a problem. Just make sure you have the earplugs in correctly, and ask for earmuffs on top of it if they have it.

Let me amend this a little bit, if you are still recovering from acoustic trauma then you might want to be a bit more careful.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1